[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup /g/. I just recently switched to Linux Mint and I absolutely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: vlc.webm (2MB, 1280x704px) Image search: [Google]
vlc.webm
2MB, 1280x704px
sup /g/.

I just recently switched to Linux Mint and I absolutely love it, however the one program that I didn't expect any trouble with was VLC.

It's always been my favorite video player, but after installing it, it seems like the video codec is totally fucked (which is strange because I've always known VLC to be notoriously reliable when it comes to codecs).

Uploaded a webm showing the difference between the default Video player and VLC. Any advice is greatly appreciated. If I really have to, I'll just use the default video player and uninstall VLC, but I'd really rather not if it's a simple fix.
>>
>>56948559
update: switched to X11 video output and disabled accelerated video output, still the same issue.
>>
I PM'd you the fix ;)
>>
>>56948597
suck my cock
>>
bumpity slumpity
>>
try installing smplayer and see if that plays well. if smplayer beats it, you can use that.

what mint version are you running?
have you updated?

also try using vlcs ppa.

https://launchpad.net/~videolan/+archive/ubuntu/stable-daily
>>
>>56948559
Where is your taskbar and icons? Whats the point to even have a desktop if you dont use it?
>>
>>56948842
I recorded this on my second monitor.

>>56948793
Will do, thank you very much! I'm on the latest version of Mint, everything completely updated.
>>
install mpv
>>
>>56948559
Why would you use Linux mint when Ubuntu mate exists?
>>
>>56948559
Interesting this still happens, even with accelerated video output. Are you using the kernel GPU drivers (ex nouveau) or are you using the proprietary drivers from the vendor?
>>
>>56948559
Generally VLC's main issue is with broken encodes, but it can also vary depending on the renderer chosen.
>>
>>56948934
Proprietary, most up to date drivers.

>>56948905
Because not everybody has the exact same taste as you, maybe you'll learn that after you graduate middle school.

In all seriousness, I used various Ubuntu distros (Gnome, MATE, Xubuntu) for about a year but as soon as I booted up Mint I knew I found my new home.

>>56948894
That's one of the alternatives I'm looking at, along with smplayer. It seems like VLC is the only media player that suffers from this problem for some reason.
>>
update: mpv & smplayer work flawlessly, I like smplayer alot more though. Just going to uninstall VLC and stick with smplayer. Thanks for all the help guys.
>>
purge remove vlc and install an older .deb
>>
>>56949020
Smplayer is dead AFAIK. Use mpv, if you like its features.
>>
>>56949020
>>56949115

smplayer is a GUI for mpv/mplayer
Just switch to mpv in preferences.
>>
>>56949153
>>56949115
Yeah, I realized that after I removed mpv. Just said fuck it in the end and stuck with Mint's default video player, it works fine.

My only problem with it is the fact that the scroll wheel seeks instead of changing the volume, that was probably my favorite feature of VLC, as minor as it is. Just watched 4 episodes of It's Always Sunny and I tried changing the volume with the scroll wheel countless times only for it to jump ahead in the episode, pretty annoying.

But all in all, I really don't mind. It works, there's little hassle, and...eh, well, fuck it.
>>
>>56949049
Also, I tried this, but it was absolute dependency hell.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.