[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Not running KDE neon with Plasma 5.8 How can you be so technology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 4

File: Screenshot_20161006_035340.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161006_035340.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>Not running KDE neon with Plasma 5.8

How can you be so technology illiterate
>>
>not running Gentoo
>>
>>56947363
But kde is for tech illiterates anon, it's like a bloated cinnamon that tries to be a ricable windows like DE.
>>
>>56947378
>wasting your time compiling stuff
>>
>>56947393
It's the only full-featured non-shit DE for linux.

Cinnamon is ok, but slow and not so full featured
GNOME lacks every possible feature, because it's target audience are <70IQ people
XFCE is dead, feature lacking and obsolete
LXDE/LXQt has no features
MATE is obsolete and lacks features
>>
>>56947463
You're forgetting E17 and Budgie.

Also MATE is nice for something so lightweight.

Something else you're not considering is ease of use.

Mate, kde, cinnamon, and budgie are just as easy to use for people who just want something that works without caring much for wasting time on ricing.
>>
I think it's bullshit that they are advertising video lock screens without actually providing the video plugin. You have to go into their forum and grab some qml files and place them in some directories to get that functionality.
>>
>>56947363
>needs a desktop environment
>cant into cli
>calls others technology illiterate
>>
Can you check whether projector support is proper. Last time that shit didn't work at all. Both on Wayland and x11 pls
>>
Works fine on X. Wayland don't even bother because it's not ready yet at all (alpha quality)
>>
>>56947654
true that
>>
>>56947463
I haven't used MATE or KDE, what features are you talking about? Because in my mind, GNOME, xfce and lxde all have numerous, powerful features.
>>
>>56947654
>not using a healthy mix of GUI, TUI and CLI.
>>
> Not using a tiling mánager
> He contemplates his desktop instead of doing something productive
>>
>i5 U ivybridge
lol, don't even reply, you aren't worth my time poorfag
>>
how resource heavy is KDE?
>>
>>56947363
It still feels like a half-assed project - bugs all over the place and the GUI looks like it was put together in a couple of minutes.

KDE? I'll pass, thanks.
>>
>>56948430
I've seen in some jewtube video that KDE neon 5.7 (the latest release is 5.8) uses about 329 MiB of RAM.
>>
>>56948422
>he doesn't know DEs are capable of tiling windows
>>
How does it compare to cinnamon? It looks very cool.
>>
>>56948451
A lot of hot opinons you got there
>>
Looks like ass.

Big things, flat everything, boring ass fonts. it does look like ass.

I mean here's the thing I keep seeing here: a lot of people with the same desktop on something that you supposedly choose so you can customize everything to your liking. In your attempt to "rice" your garbage, it manages to look the same all over.
>>
>>56949315
Literally change the default font sizes and sizes of the window decorations. Running KDE 5.8 and you can go fuck yourself
>>
>>56947363
>1600 packages
Dat bloat
>>
>>56949348
get he fuck out, clueless ricerfag
>>
>>56947363
KDE has always just been buggy as hell.

It took a while, but KDE 4 really matured and was stable. Then Plasma came and fucked all that up.

How's Plasma now? Is it finally stable or is it still an unusable piece of shit?
>>
Can anyone help me? I have installed KDE neon but Grub doesn't boot.

I have chrooted into my partition but I can't figure out how to make Grub boot (EFI). I would use Systemd Boot but it seems like it isnt available for Ubuntu.
>>
wait wat.. Grub can't boot into XFS filesystems? wtf is this?
>>
>>56949477
Its better but not quite there yet
>>
>>56947363
>using a DE because you don't know how to use a Unix system

>How can you be so technology illiterate
>>
>>56947363
What the fuck are these hipster distros and how did they get their logos on screenfetch? Fucking calculate Linux just shows the default penguin for me.
>>
Linux is a meme
>>
>>56949477

Plasma has been part of KDE all along since KDE 4. Maybe you're a little confused.
>>
>>56947363
> I like to use buggy things.txt

Whatever floats your canoe I guess
>>
>>56947363
>Thumbnails in lunix
How? what kind of magic is this
>>
>>56948451
>Bugs all over the place
When was the last time you've tried KDE? Also, source?
>>
>>56949348
You do realize that you can uninstall non OS related pre-installed programs, right?
>>
>>56952981
The last time I tried KDE was a couple months ago.

> Fresh install of KDE
> Log into KDE for the 1st time
> Looks butt fuggly out of the box, better see what appearance tweaks I can make
> 5 minutes later everything crashes and I'm back at a bone stock KDE desktop
> Into the trash
>>
>>56953098
Distro? It failed to crash on me once, either on Antergos, Arch or Manjaro.
>>
>>56953124
>Distro
Arch

I dunno, GNOME just werks, and at least looks passingly acceptable out of the box.
>>
File: received_1084921694887272.jpg (151KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
received_1084921694887272.jpg
151KB, 1920x1080px
>>56953235
I'm on Antergos Gnome myself and I'd say that KDE looks the best out of the box and even when I was using KDE back when 5.6 was the latest version, I didn't have any problems. I think that Gnome looks kinda dated out of the box, but it looks modern with a little work.
>>
>>56947363
> cannot into twm
>>
>>56947363
Is it possible to make the clipboard behave like every other clipboard out there? It's incredibly annoying.
>>
>>56953293
Gnome animations aren't fluid for me, even on wayland. Don't know why. They look like 30 FPS animations and it really triggers me.

Maybe my GPU (270x) lacks support or something?
>>
>>56953328
I'm not sure about your GPU, but I can assure that mine is even worse. I have an AMD 4670 HD 512mb. I've noticed a huge improvement in animation speed since the last update of Adapta GTK theme. Try different themes out, because it looks to me that it could be either theme or driver related.
>>
does KDE5 have this again yet?
no?
really makes you think...
>>
>>56947363
looks like shit
>>
>>56953515
Seriously, that KDE logo in the corner can go fuck itself.
>>
>>56951144
Retard. Install XFS utils
>>
>>56947363
Can I have the taskbar like on Windows with previews and such?
>>
>>56952945
Every Linux file manager has thumbnails.

The FILE PICKER, which is the dialog box for selecting files, is the thing that has thumbnail issues.

The only GNU/Linux file picker with thumbnails is KDialog for KDE, while everything else is stuck with the shitty GTK file picker, which the devs have refused to add thumbnails to for years now.
>>
>>56954075
Seriously what the fuck is up with the GTK devs?

They keep releasing new features except the one thing everybody wants. What's the deal with that?
>>
>>56953955
It already has that.
>>
File: 1469990629108.jpg (17KB, 316x421px) Image search: [Google]
1469990629108.jpg
17KB, 316x421px
I use Manjaro with KDE. I can't bring myself to change the default theme. It's pretty comfy.

I haven't tried KDE neon but Manjaro has been the first KDE experience I've had where it WORKED. Since I discovered the application menu instead of the usual start menu, I've been pretty content with it.

Seriously fuck that default start menu. It's so damn slow because of the animations. I want to click on a category and have it instantly show the shit, not take a second to play the animation.
>>
I use Lumina, FVWM, or cwm.
>>
>>56947363
>not using Antergos
>>
>>56954226
But I don't want any text, just the icons (and big ones, not tiny)
>>
>>56954334
>using noobarch with a shitty repo and themes and gross branding all over
>>
>>56954776

shitty repo? nigga it uses the arch repo retard.
>>
>>56954874
i was talking about the antergos repo itself that is just used for the theme, login manager theme, grub theme, etc which are all ugly
>>
>>56955005

Who cares. All Antergos is is a gui installer. With a few options to install shit like chromium and firewall etc. It is still arch.

It has some branding, sure which can be changed rather quickly. For someone who wants to ride arch antergos isnt bad. Eventually they'll move to vanilla arch.
>>
>>56947363
Yea but can you drag and drop an image from a browser to file manager to save it?
>>
>>56947363
I'd like to try this, but is it save installing a second DE along Cinnamon? I don't want to risk losing my ~/.config, etc...
Or should I just add another user with a home folder?
>>
>>56947363
Why is it so ugly? Why can't linux UI designers (aka the programmers untrained in graphic design) understand basic concepts such as element padding?
>>
>>56955045
In my experience it takes longer to install than to just do it myself.

Add the fact that the installer doesn't always work makes it kind of shitty.
>>
>>56947363
still wasting screen real estate like it's '98, it's something you can believe in KDE.
>>
kde is the equivalent to using rainmeter on windows
>>
>>56947363
i like kde but the last time i used it it had terrible touch screen support and no on screen keyboard.

has this changed? i hate windows 10 but its the only thing that actually has all the features to make the most of a 2-in-1
>>
I liked KDE at first but I realised I liked it because it resembles Windows.

I actually prefer an OS X-like look.
>>
>>56947463
>full-featured
You mean it has everything invented installed, even though 90% will be unwanted and the 10% that you do want won't work properly?
>>
>>56956203
KDE Neon is very bare-bones software-wise. It only comes with the essential stuff.
>>
>>56947363
Just installed it on Arch along my Cinnamon desktop and I had tearing, all fonts were so tiny I thought DPI scaling was 200%, although it was not and it didn't even have an option for that in the settings. The desktop/workspace grid was buggy and slow as hell and there was no integrated option to change my monitor configuration other than using nvidia-settings.
Solid 4/10
>>
>>56957292
Also, GTK applications were using a different cursor and the system tray was full of blurry icons.
I don't understand how anyone can seriously use the plasma desktop
>>
>>56955963
I like KDE because it doesn't hide any features like gnome. Everything is right there in front of you to the point of being too much. KDE5 seems to look better in the aspect but 4 was messy at times
>>
>>56947363
>not KDE Helium

It's like you want to react with halogens.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.