[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How were GUIs like this made in DOS? What was the trick? I could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

How were GUIs like this made in DOS? What was the trick? I could never figure that shit out. There had to be some library right? They didn't really just do it manually each time right?
>>
>They didn't really just do it manually each time right?
why not?
it doesnt look really hard to make
>>
>>56945484
>Not hard to make
Then how come I could never figure it out?
>>
>>56945472
old dos programs have more personality than Windows 10 in its entirety
>>
>>56945504
Sad but true
>>
>>56945501
Because you're stupid, obviously.
Text-mode based interfaces are easier than full GUI's.
>>
>>56945472
if ncurses is a thing, why do you think microsoft can't have a similar thing going on?

You can't know because it is proprietary
>>
>>56945472
>what is conio.h

you're welcome, hole
>>
>>56945556
>>56945594
What the hell is "hole"?
And thanks for telling me about conio.h sadly I'm not 14 anymore and interested in DOS.
>>
>>56945683

you're such a hole

tits or gtfo
>>
Clipper
>>
>>56945472
First of all, that's a TUI.
Second, take a look at the ASCII table.
Third, yes, there was some sort of a library present. Here's a modern library for TUI today:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ncurses
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVuokM6j2OE
>>
>>56945472
code page 437
>>
>>56945472
Borland Turbo Pascal had an entire library for TUIs. So no, you didn't really have to do shit from scratch. Not that it was especially difficult with NCurses.
>>
>>56945501
Try looking up the ansi codes and the platforms you can use them on. They should have the specific version of your ansi ready device or whatever, I forget the name ( it's late, I'm hungry, and I don't generally make it an issue to memorize hardware names and shit ), so that you can basically just assign functions in those places if you aren't really trying to do it the readilne() or curse way.

You basically can just edit your big ass string with all the lines on it to exclude the line that was selected ( regex the word or offset the index ) and then apply the ansi codes for moving the cursor in printf. I think it's a basic

http://ascii-table.com/ansi-escape-sequences.php

so you can do

/1:1H in the print quotes to move the cursor to 1, 1. You can also change that first one to change row, the second to change column I think. Then you use C to superduper quickly rewrite the text to screen without it looking choppy.

I think that'll still work too but everyone will shill you curses because millenial white blondes really don't give a shit what happens to the non shiny. Start ups need their bosses too so you can't just get rid of them.
>>
>>56947818
What I'm meaning by this whole thing here is that you can basically create vim-like functions for the text menu by using the cursor commands. This is why they made the switch to ANSI. These guys are good.
>>
>>56947818
oops don't forget to call the iterator, though. Add the [ to the numbers, so: /[1:1H
>>
>>56945472
Well, if you write some simple Assembly code for an OS, it already comes with some slick GUI.
>>
>>56947862
Oh yeah you could also just create a string and throw it in there, moving the cursor and writing over where you settled it. But I thought maybe you would come back at me saying something like that before I decided to reiterate the message.
>>
>>56947896
Fuck it, here's your list.

Esc[Line;ColumnH
Esc[Line;Columnf Cursor Position:
Moves the cursor to the specified position (coordinates).
If you do not specify a position, the cursor moves to the home position at the upper-left corner of the screen (line 0, column 0). This escape sequence works the same way as the following Cursor Position escape sequence.
Esc[ValueA Cursor Up:
Moves the cursor up by the specified number of lines without changing columns. If the cursor is already on the top line, ANSI.SYS ignores this sequence.
Esc[ValueB Cursor Down:
Moves the cursor down by the specified number of lines without changing columns. If the cursor is already on the bottom line, ANSI.SYS ignores this sequence.
Esc[ValueC Cursor Forward:
Moves the cursor forward by the specified number of columns without changing lines. If the cursor is already in the rightmost column, ANSI.SYS ignores this sequence.
Esc[ValueD Cursor Backward:
Moves the cursor back by the specified number of columns without changing lines. If the cursor is already in the leftmost column, ANSI.SYS ignores this sequence.
Esc[s Save Cursor Position:
Saves the current cursor position. You can move the cursor to the saved cursor position by using the Restore Cursor Position sequence.
Esc[u Restore Cursor Position:
Returns the cursor to the position stored by the Save Cursor Position sequence.
Esc[2J Erase Display:
Clears the screen and moves the cursor to the home position (line 0, column 0).
Esc[K Erase Line:
Clears all characters from the cursor position to the end of the line (including the character at the cursor position).
>>
>>56945472
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text-based_user_interface
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_Vision
>>
File: freevision.png (31KB, 640x408px) Image search: [Google]
freevision.png
31KB, 640x408px
Look at Free Pascal's FreeVision, their FOSS Turbo Vision equivalent used for their TUI IDE, which also runs on more than Windows.
>>
>>56945472
>There had to be some library right? They didn't really just do it manually each time right?
This is why today everything is shit, it's built around a library instead of manually for the task in hand.

OP is the cancer developer who thinks he's time is more worth then user time.
>>
>>56949825
>reinventing the wheel over and over makes me feel important
>>
>>56945472
They had libraries for window management.

Yes, UI elements made from ASCII are real.
>>
some videos of modern social media apps programmed in DOS mode (page loads slow, sorry)
http://www.joluijten.com/?q=v
>>
>>56945472
What do you mean? It's just some character spaces filled with different colors and some ANSII special characters. It would take a few lines of code just to draw a static user interface that resembles this, just printing some characters with specific front and back colors in some specific places on the screen.
>>
>>56949496
I thought ANSI was exclusive to DOS.
>>
>>56952921

Wat? You had to fuck around putting ansi.sys in your config file for it to even work properly.

ANSI escape codes come from unixland and serial terminals.
>>
>>56953545
To be honest I only used DOS with Windows 3.1. I would code stuff in QBasic and I could draw user interface with special ANSI characters without having to configure anything first.
>>
>>56945543
sounds like you never used sharpdevelop or visual basic.
>>
>>56945472
Why no one made a text DE in Linux yet?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.