[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /g/, I need advice. I am familiar with Linux, but my mother

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: 1475638715957.jpg (330KB, 800x680px) Image search: [Google]
1475638715957.jpg
330KB, 800x680px
So /g/, I need advice. I am familiar with Linux, but my mother is not.
Here is my situation;
I want to use Linux, but I want a nice distribution (not Ubuntu or the like), but I also want a some-what user friendly distribution so she can learn, and use it easily.

What do you recommend?
>inb4 arch
>inb4 gentoo
>inb4 *buntu
>>
I should have added, her and I use the same laptop, she uses it for Facebook, and what-not. I use it for school and other projects.
>>
Mint Cinnamon
>>
Antergos with KDE.
>>
>>56944285
crappy or not
>>
Try Zorin OS anon
>>
Zorin seems to be a 1:1 of Windows (On the aesthetic level of course)
I will give it a try. Thanks guys!
>>
For real though just install Windows 7 and make the icons large. Old people have a more difficult time learning computer stuff Linux is just a meme OS for ricing and showing off on 4chan. Doubt your mom wants to do that.
>>
>>56944861
"Old People"
She is in her thirties, just not too tech savvy.
>>
>>56944901
That's old especially to begin learning about how to use a CLI. Linux is already a huge fucking mistake if she isn't tech savvy. If she can't even use youtube-dl to download a specific video and audio stream, then mux it then you're just wasting your time and more importantly: hers.
>>
>>56944901
>She is in her thirties

Are you literally 10 years old?

You must be 18 to post
>>
>>56944256
PCLinuxOS. It will work out of the box, and is easy to use for the beginner while still being suitable for the power user. I use it on all of my non-hobby machines.
>>
>>56944994
If she gave birth at eighteen years of age and is thirty-six today, OP would be eighteen. Do you even math?
>>
Ubuntu is literally perfect for her. What reason do you have for not using it? If it's some dumb meme reason like "muh free software" or "le canonical botnet xDd" then I'm 100% sure your mother doesn't care about either.
>>
>>56944256
I put my dad on Zorin OS. It's nice enough and easy to use.
>>
>>56944256
Dual boot and set the default to windows.
Why not use ubuntu?
If I'm reading right you want to learn more about Linux.
With Ubuntu you will find a huge amount of instructions and help on the net.
More than any other distro.
Also Ubuntu still is debian based.
So you will be very familiar with every debian based distro.
If you want to learn about enterprise linux you probably should go with fedora to become familiar with the way of the red hat.
If you are from europe Suse may also be a viable option for learning enterprise linux.

Go take a read.
https://distrowatch.com/?language=en
>>
>>56945853
noobuntu is so bloated
>>
File: dos.jpg (48KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
dos.jpg
48KB, 2000x1125px
>>56944933
Yeah its not like old people used CLI
>>
>>56944256
apricity os? fedora? kde neon? arch-anywhere?
>>
>>56946004
I hope that is not op.
First: bloatbuntu absolutely is a Meme reason.
Second: its a fucking Linux. It is as bloated as you make it.
Third: there is always a third point.
>>
>>56944256
Solus
>>
>>56946004
ubuntu mini? set it up for her, she wont ever use the cli anyways. Still shilling for apricity with gnome
>>
>>56944256
What's the difference between distros for the end user if all of them have the same DE or WM? Can't you just install the distro you like with a user friendly DE and teach your mother how to open a browser? It's not like she's going to be messing with settings anyway.

Also philosophical question: what really is the difference between distros anyway? Sometimes I feel like systemd is good at unifying things.
>>
>>56946108
This.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.