[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GPGPU has been around the corner for 10 years... When is it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: AMDGPGPU[1].jpg (829KB, 3999x2250px) Image search: [Google]
AMDGPGPU[1].jpg
829KB, 3999x2250px
GPGPU has been around the corner for 10 years...

When is it finally going to become relevant to the average pleb?
>>
>When is it finally going to become relevant to the average pleb?
>average pleb
>the guy who uses his laptop for nothing more than facebook and youtube
>needing anything more than itegrated gpu
>ever
>>
>>56944168
>When is it finally going to become relevant to the average pleb?

In 2022 or thereabouts when WebAssembly 3.0 or whatever wants to add a bunch of massive SIMD/SIMT shit into web pages.
>>
>>56944168

>average pleb

that would be by definition when most of the population is already using them
>>
>>56944168
we webpages get even more bloated
>>
>AMD FirePoo
>>
File: 1341333493582.jpg (26KB, 251x414px)
1341333493582.jpg
26KB, 251x414px
>>56944289
>>56944491
>be 2023
>want to read the shitty local newspaper
>browser blank new tab instantly eat 1 GB ram.
>type adress, enter.
>after downloading 200 MB not even the fonts or background loaded yet
>Need at least a PCIe SSD only so the temp files from browser don't freeze the whole system.
>CPU still use only one fucking core and lags everything else.
>need at least a 20 SP teraFLOPS GPU just to render a picture of a dog shitting on the local church yard.

I'm scared just thinking that kind shit could be real seeing how this clusterfuck is going on today.
>>
>>56945434
>i-its okay tho, w-we're just exploiting available resources! it's just because machines can handle it that way without any optimisation, I swear!
>>
the average pleb doesn't even need the latest cpu, a gpu is overkill
>>
What can I do with GPGPU that isn't cracking tripcodes or folding@home
>>
>>56944168
HSA
S
A
>>
>>56945584
>who cares, it loads in only 20 seconds on my dual 10GbE line
>what are you, poor?
>>
I would like to see image and comic viewers utilizing the GPU to decompress both the archive and image, then store the entire book on the huge vram we have now days so I can go through mangas and doujins a whole lot quicker.
>>
>>56945434
That's bullshit anon, it's not like, wait.
>2023 7 years away
>Remember computers from 7 years ago
>2009 webpage, could run on a first gen iPhone, or some symbian thing with 32mb of ram, or a PSP or DSi without issue
32 fucking megabytes
Oh god what have we become?
It's time to go back. We can't keep going forwards, not like this.
>>
3D video games use ton of compute functions today.
>>
>>56945602
I would appreciate it in my laptop
>>
>>56946689
>It's time to go back. We can't keep going forwards, not like this.
There's no brakes in this train senpai
>>
File: ai_0.jpg (154KB, 1500x1000px)
ai_0.jpg
154KB, 1500x1000px
We should start using our GPUs to do voice recognition and synthesis instead of sending shit to the cloud. Basically think of any machine learning thing that is currently in the botnet, and you could be doing it on your own computer with the GPU.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.