[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

help me remove an hdmi chip from a ps4 motherboard and keep it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: here.jpg (264KB, 1504x1000px) Image search: [Google]
here.jpg
264KB, 1504x1000px
help me remove an hdmi chip from a ps4 motherboard and keep it in a useable condition. i want to put it into another ps4 with a bad chip.
>>
lol plz disregard the filename and little arrow pointing down. that is not what im dealing with rn
>>
>>56942210
What do you want us to do, remote control your body and do it for you?

If you have to ask how, you can't do what you want.
>>
>>56942251
its more that ive read that any method of desoldering the chip damages it. but a new one would have to be soldered in which requires the same heat. so im questioning what ive read. would you tell me what you think?
>>
>>56942210
just stick it up your ass :3
>>
>>56942285
This is a very obvious no-can-do for me. Soldering doesn't do the same thing as desoldering in terms of "damage".
>>
>>56942320
how so? utilizing the same soldering iron and flux then a cleanup. what am i missing here?
>>
>>56942285
Yes, this obviously can be done in some way(s). Doesn't mean that you can do it.

Hope you got a sufficient diagnostics kit (to determine if at least the removal succeeded) and okay skills, or else this could be a pain in the arse
>>
>>56942210
thats the power supply side of the board.
>>
>>56942339
> the same soldering iron
That's not how these are made.
>>
>>56942210
You probably gonna destroy the chip with desoldering it without destruction of mobo. Have a good time
>>
>>56942210
get a dremmel and cut it out,
>>
>>56942210
OP is a faggot, as always.

answer == flash dat mofo
>>
Why the fuck would anyone go though this amount of effort on a $300 product thats easily replaceable?
>>
What kind of pins does the chip have?
Ball grid array?
SOIC?

BGA you'd need to use a heat gun to get off. Probably also want to make a foil shield so you can focus the heat only on the chip you want to melt the solder on. Re aligning it and re-soldering it will be will be hard but: nothing ventured, nothing gained.

SOIC you can blob extra solder onto the pins so each side of the chip has all it's pins shorted together with a fat blob of solder. That makes it easier to heat all pins at once to pull the chip off.

If the chip survived the heat to solder it, it will survive the same heat to desolder it. Just keep your iron/heat gun as low as possible.
>>
>>56942508
I googled the chip to answer my own question. Image related, right?
Basically make a giant solder short circuit along the red line in the pic, heat it all up, and gently pull the chip off. Then clean up the excess solder.

Good luck!
>>
>>56942210
If you don't know what you're doing, there's a good chance you're going to end up with two broken PS4s. I don't say this to discourage you. Yes, you can probably learn the skills and knowledge needed to do this, and you totally should. It's just that do you want to learn and practice on something that you probably don't want to fuck up?

I ran into a similar dilemma at work. I'm a machinist, and I was always having to get other people to sharpen my tools and drills. It's definitely a skill that a machinist needs to have, but they only way to acquire it was to practice on tools and drills, which can get a bit expensive to replace. And I ruined quite a few in the process. I'm glad I took the time to do it, but I still hate the fact that I ruined perfectly good shit along the way.

It was the same way back when I was first starting out, and learning how to tap. I broke taps left and right back then--.25-20 taps seem to be the worst about breaking for some reason. Not only did I destroy taps, but once a tap breaks off inside of a hole, it's extremely difficult to impossible to get it back out again. So basically a broken tap means a dead part, or at the very least drilling the tap out, welding the hole up, and trying again--you can't always do that either, particularly on shit that requires a specific structural integrity be maintained. Now I very rarely break them. It's just something you have to get a feel for, and you can only do that by doing it.
>>
>>56942700
It sounds like OP already has two broken PS4s and is trying to combine them into one working PS4.
>>
>>56942210
Hot air station and flux.
>>
>>56942807
This.

Trying to desolder TQFPs with just an iron will almost always kill the chip.
>>
>>56942807
im on my way to my buddies hot air station now with flux in hand! ive tried to post many thank you responses for fer chin is giving me warning instead of letting me extend my gratitutde
>>
okay i got the chip out of the board without too much struggle, flux+heatgun and it eventually lifted right off, one corner came first and i was worried about flexing the chip too much but all pins are there and intact. the new tricky part will be soldering each individual pin back onto the board without bridging any two. soldering advice anyone? i saw a method where someone dabbed a small point of solder at the beginning of the row of pins then gently 'brushed' the solder down the row of pens very gently with a very fine tip solder and cleaned up excess with desoldering braid and it worked.

what do yall think?
>>
>>56942210
Why are you taking a working chip off a PS4 to put in a bad one? Is this motherboard bad minus the HDMI chip or something? Why wouldn't you just swap the whole motherboard?
>>
Watch some Loius Rossman and if you can't extrapolate how to do it then, you aren't competent enough for the job. Don't worry, some people don't have The Knack, but maybe you could still be a business major if you don't have any skills :)
>>
>>56944920
Watch Louis Rossman videos, he does that shit with tiny pin rows a lot, he basically puts on a fuckton of flux and just swipes the iron across all the pins a bunch of times really fast and all the solder just melts into the right places
>>
>>56945911
lol you sure are able to be a condescending prick without justification. any time spent trying to prove my credentials is futile to someone like you.

>>56945527
the mobo had been srsly abused and definitely had a bad HDMI port on it. i ordered a new hdmi port and will probably order two new HDMI IC chips as well but in the mean time wanted to try to safely extract a chip from the thrashed board and try to make a working ps4. then MAYBE see if the other MOBO is repairable.

>>56947366
that is some serious technique. i showed a video of some arabic dude doing the same method to my electrical lead and he was all 'get the fuck out'.....you ever personally tried that method?
>>
>>56947526
Well, you have dead boards that are unsalvageable if you can't do this technique. What better thing is there to practice it on?
>>
>>56947548
well ive got a mobo that is thrashed and one that is 90% working. so ill practice on the thrashed one with what i assume is a bad chip ill pull off the semi good mobo

said electrical lead has a good rework station, imported from germany apparently. there can only be so much grace involved in brushing it....just gotta practice
>>
>>56942547

no fucking way you could solder that back in by hand
>>
>>56947975
It's definitely doable.
>>
>>56947860
His soldering iron also has a curved tip. That probably helps a lot, getting a lot more surface area on the pins rather than scraping a sharp point across them.
>>
>>56942210
check
>>>diy
they'll have better info
>>
>>56947975
>no fucking way you could solder that back in by hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzDTZuFJYX4&list=UUNAAxVKWPAbaZiB90_kjDJw&index=15&t=0m31s
has some very nice videos as well
>>
File: 9302.jpg (401KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
9302.jpg
401KB, 1280x1024px
I used to have a ton of smt soldering videos that I lost years ago. Though it doesn't help you, thanks for reminding me that I need to recreate those again someday. Soldering fine pitch devices is certainly an art but there's nothing terribly difficult about what your doing. It really does come down to the tools you use. Since I sincerely doubt you have access to Metcal, I wish you the best of luck. Take your time, keep your tips clean, get in and out as quickly as possible, and remember that flux is your friend. I use 700 degree tips exclusively with the exception of wire adds where damaging sheathing is a possibility.
>>
>>56942210
This is /v/, not /g/.
>>
>>56948388
Are you retarded?
>>
>>56948304
>that video

Its so painful I can barely watch it
>>
>>56950598
why?
>>
>>56948304
fuck electronics that guy needs to be a surgeon
>>
>>56942210
>implying compatibility and similar build quality
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.