[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello there, I've been working as a junior front end almost

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: 4835705_orig.png (13KB, 690x360px) Image search: [Google]
4835705_orig.png
13KB, 690x360px
Hello there,

I've been working as a junior front end almost a year now. I've been using Bootstrap/Angular on front and PHP/mySQl rest to create endpoints.

Is there any better way? What would be the best and modern setup for back end? Ruby + Postgres? What's the proper way of creating endpoints for let's just say -> shop ?
>>
>>56939746
LAMP is the new trend in 2016 dude
>>
>>56939778
Thanks for this well..shit comment, bro.

(:
>>
>Ruby
Ruby has no official documentation. People create their own documentation off of the source code's comments. Let that sink in for a moment.
>>
Read and weep (or laugh)

https://hackernoon.com/how-it-feels-to-learn-javascript-in-2016-d3a717dd577f#.5e341tqx4

tl;dr: get out of frontend, it (like the gaming industry) is simply too immature.
>>
>>56939834

So what's the proper way to create an endpoint atm?

Should I still use angular on front and php on back? It's pretty good for now, I just saw many PHP framework and I was wondering if any of them is usefull.
>>
>>56939847
>https://hackernoon.com/how-it-feels-to-learn-javascript-in-2016-d3a717dd577f#.5e341tqx4

I've seen this one -> trust me, year back ago I was fucking mad becuase I couldn't simply find any simple page on how to learn anything. GULP SASS PRASS LARP weird names everywhere, 1000 frameworks, tons of bullshit, plygins and stuff that I was frustrated about.
>>
Tomcat + Java
>>
>>56939885
It isn't just Javascript, they've somehow found a way to fuck up CSS and turn it into this overcomplicated mess of bullshit as well.
>>
>>56939923

SASS is pretty good actually if you can use it, to be honest.

It's just simpler to manage big stylesheets cause you can have variables, constants etc that you change in one place and they affect everything.
>>
>>56939957
Sure, but it's just putting lipstick on a pig. This is a recurring problem (not restricted to IT): the methods and tools we have available are not fit for the purposes we use them for. HTML was never supposed to be an interactive application structuring system that's consistent everywhere. It's using a screwdriver to cut a log - possible, but annoying and slow.

I'm just waiting for everything to come full circle and (now that browsers are the modern X11 system with which we connect to the mainframe/cloud) something better to come along.
>>
>>56939957
Sass is just a tool, it can be used for good or for ill. My problem with it (beyond the stupid name) is that it's a band aid solution and that it's an extra point of failure when standards change again.

The root of it all comes down to CSS and the whole DOM model being fundamentally flawed. If you weren't required to relate style properties to the literal elements in a document you wouldn't have any need for preprocessors or "minifiers" or new syntax libraries. CSS should've been fully class-based and markup-independent to begin with. The language needs an ES6 caliber do-over.
>>
>>56940034

I know, it should be plain and simple. To be fair, we reecently created an really nice system for the machines based on..web app. And to be honest, I do not see any simpler way to do this, really.

So it's not that bad, the bad thing is that number of fucking frameworks are growing from day to day and all you will end up is learning all the time, while forgetting what you really have to do.
>>
>>56939746
You are basically what everyone else is doing.

Go use this to set up a project: https://github.com/yeoman/generator-angular

Make sure to follow this style guide: https://github.com/johnpapa/angular-styleguide

And then just connect it to whatever API endpoint you need.

For the backend a LAMP stack is still the most popular. You can use Laravel (https://laravel.com/) or Laravel Lumen (https://lumen.laravel.com/) to stand up quick API's OR fuckit, just make a traditional MVC site.
>>
>>56940215
Thank you anon!
So I am not that 'old' ?
Can you tell me quickly about Laravel etc? what is that? I mean, what back end framework is good for?

What about databases? I've seen MEAN stack as well, seems interesting, but I am wondering if it's any good etc..
>>
>>56940215
Is PHP really better than it used to be?

Have they got rid of the php.ini thing yet?
>>
>>56940314
Laravel quickly became the 800 lb gorilla of the PHP framework world because it was based off of the fantastic .NET MVC framework (creator used to be a .NET dev).

It has fantastic scaffolding and helpers so that you don't have to write your own authentication systems and reinvent the wheel.

Lets put it like this: it's what EVERYONE uses and what most companies (that are good) will want on your resume.

For database its mysql or bust, don't bother with MEAN stacks, they are worthless.
>>
>>56940329
It's way better than it used to be but yeah you still have ini.

I'm old as shit and was using php back in 2003 when we still used the .php3 extension. Sessions didn't even exist back then and we had to support IE5.5

You kids and you're chrome dev tools! :P
>>
i mean fb is using compiled php and hadoop.
I fucking hate this new meme tech, if you are good you can write good scalable backend on practically anything,
>>
>>56940471
I hear what you are saying but the thought is to reduce as much IO as possible.

Slap together a good SPA connected to an API and you have a much, much more scalable solution (as long as you keep it away from Indian devs).

The real problem is getting programmers that understand the HTTP stack and front-end development (see the previous Indian comment).
>>
>>56940524
i mean i really belive in that idea of microservices and small api's that do one thing.
But i don't feel much of improved of new languages/frameworks like node .
>>
I dunno, I've always used ASP.NET and it's great.

I'm afraid of front end, the state of JavaScript nowadays is crazy... The amount of frameworks and libraries is just ridiculous. I'm sure it will stabilize in a few years but holy shit it sure is a mess..
>>
>>56940563
Well luckily the non-blocking async model is now in traditional languages, its just a huge pain in the ass to go back and change.

You are right though, PHP scales as well as anything these days.

Hell you can even make Ruby scale if you hate yourself enough to try (put the gun down anon, there are people that love you!).
>>
>>56940633
ASP.NET is still good, keep using it. You'll always have a job, that's for sure.

Front-end frameworks aren't for everyone and there's nothing wrong with traditional sites at all (we are using one right now).
>>
So why so much hate towards PHP I see on every site? What's wrong with that?
>>
>>56939746
Postgres is the database you'll want. Certain projects might work better with NoSQL but probably nothing that you're working on. Just stick with postgres for now.

As for what framework to use on the backend, these are what's acceptable now: Node.js (Express), Java (Spring), Python (Django or Flask), or C# (ASP.NET) but I wouldn't recommend C# personally.
>>
>>56940661
I'm curious if you have any good resources for someone trying to learn how to use CSS (and JS?) to do complicated graphics on a website?

For example if you need to draw a rectangle with a dotted border where each dot blinks (like a loading spinner) and inside this rectangle you have multiple tubes with liquid that increase and decrease based on a value, and a number in the middle with a percentage value that shows how filled the tubes are.

I have a project coming up that will involve quite a lot of these types of custom graphics and animations, and my knowledge of CSS and JS is pretty basic, just enough to get a bunch of tables and buttons to interact with each other.
>>
>>56940744
It's slow and has retarded syntax. Dollar signs before variables is not okay.
>>
I get angry reading these threads because it's over my head and all I've ever wanted to do is reinvent the wheel but I can't even make a wheel
>>
>>56940744
It's 82% of websites, don't listen to the haters.
>>
>>56940433
This anon knows what's up. Laravel is comfy af.
I've been an intern at this company where they used it for the most of their projects and it's quite nice.
Go to https://laracasts.com/ to get up to speed.
>>
>>56940801
Honestly I don't know of any one guide. You can start by looking at Rachel Smiths blog for inspiration (https://rachsmith.com/) and look at her codepen.io examples.

CSS3 can get you most of the way there, that tube shit is crazy though lol.

Also look at https://www.smashingmagazine.com/ to keep up to date on the latest bullshit in our industry.
>>
>>56941031
>>
File: Web_Development.png (317KB, 3500x1469px) Image search: [Google]
Web_Development.png
317KB, 3500x1469px
>>56940776
Currently learning Node.js with Express for back-end and React for front-end.
I want to concentrate on the back-end primarily and still thinking about the next back-end language / framework to learn next.
What would you choose as a next step?

>Python (Django/Flask)
>PHP (Laravel/Symfony2/Yii2/Zend/Phalcon)
>Ruby (RoR)
>Go (Revel)
>Java (Spring)
>something else....

No .NET please, tried it, not my cup of thee
>>
>>56941101
You should stick with Node if that's what you are learning now.

Unless you are going to shift completely you should stay on your current path.
>>
>>56941153
That what I was thinking as well. Despite the whole JS scene being crazy mess right now I really enjoy using it on the back-end (did PHP5 before that).
Thanks anon!
>>
React JS and your own API server from any language
>>
>>56940776
I disagree with this anon 100%.

PHP setups are dominated by MySQL and Postgres, while good, is still too fringe even 15 years later.

Stick to LAMP.
>>
>>56940744
It's kind of a kitchen sink language that has a lot of idiosyncracies that can make it a pain to work with, particularly in the sense of keeping it secure. Most of the complaints are historical, though. It's quite possible to write good PHP now.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.