[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Besides stability, user-friendliness and the ability to run popular

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: 1472626082974.jpg (72KB, 599x600px) Image search: [Google]
1472626082974.jpg
72KB, 599x600px
Besides stability, user-friendliness and the ability to run popular software, what problems does Linux have?
>>
>>56937905
anti-sage B)
>>
Probably the main concern tbqh.....
It's hard to find a good chinese cartoon sharing site with a Stallman board where people can discuss Richard Stallman and Stallman related topics without being hounded by paid Microsoft shills and fanbois.
>>
>>56937918
I'm not criticizing linux you fucking autist, I am asking if it has problems besides the ones people bring up all the time
>>
>>56937915
Op can't bump.

Nice try you dumb frog poster.

This will still get like 60 posts of the same shit we had yesterday.
>>
>>56937933
You seem to be confusing memes that people repeatedly spout with actual real life problems.
>>
Setup can be a nightmare for tech illiterate people. I still can't get my bluetooth to work (not that I use it)

I'm torn about going back to windows because I want to play games and use office (Libre is not good enough for what I use) but I can't live without a package manager anymore
>>
>>56937993
Microsoft Word is a huge one for me, too
>>
>>56937880
1. it's a monolithic kernel (why the fuck does it have a sound system inside, for example)
2. it's a bad clone of bsd - for example Linus forgot to copy SIGINFO
3. GPL - it's not really free
>>
>>56938046
>muh BSD
Back to your containment thread.
>>
Besides something happended, reporting all you're shit to the NSA isn't very user friendly.
Dual booting is a thing, if there's some windows only software you can't get by without.
Dual boot if you want, Linus Torvalds won't even get mad.
>>
/care.

I want to use my computer to do productive things. Not jerk over which terminal I'm looking at. Seems like every lunix user does just about that.

I was teaching at my old University and I found that the fat fuck lunix using neckbeards were among the shittiest students every single time. It's all show and no skill.
>>
>>56938046
GPL software = contributed to daily
BSD software = anally raped and stolen daily.
>Ever wonder why Linux is everywhere and BSD is nowhere?
>>
It has the largest ratio of virgin males to men of the three main camps. Even BSD has a less embarrassing ratio.
>>
>>56938059
>muh linux
you too
>>
>>56938095
>true proprietary software
contributed to daily by a professional team with clear goals
>quasi free software
contributed to daily by people without proper education and clear goals
>true free software
as above, but actually free or something

also i wasn't talking about bsd license
>>
>>56938068
you can run any windows software on your linux machine provided your cpu has virtualization extensions (VT-d etc). if you need the dedicated gpu for running 3d stuff your mobo/cpu/gpu must also allow for pci passthrough.
However, converting your linux OS into a xen dom0 (or similar hypervisor OS), installing various kinds of hvms and configuring PCI-E passthrough might be a bit overkill, especially if you're inexperienced with hardware virtualization like xen. the advantage of course is, you can have a dedicated windows vm for every windows program you need to run providing good isolation and an easy way to reduce data theft going towards M$.
>>
>>56937880
>Besides stability, user-friendliness and the ability to run popular software, what problems does Linux have?
>besides
>besides
kek'd.

the only benefit of Linux is that it doesn't make your computer explode (however, it might even do something like that because is sucks shit on laptops because it can't manage power well).
>>
>contributed to daily by a professional team with clear goals
Weellll... that's the goal at least
>>
>>56937880
The ability to run popular hardware because no third party drivers. And my bluetooth mice don't work.
>>
Wifi drivers
>>
After installing Ubuntu within literally 5 minutes I had issues with installing htop and lm-sensors
Something was taking control of apt and wouldn't let me install packages to begin with, after killing anything using apt, htop and LP-sensors both gave me "has no installation candidate" errors
Unity started fucking up
The drivers thing wouldn't let me install proprietary drivers even after checking to make sure I allow the system to install proprietary drivers

I'm buying 8.1 again, because I remembered why I stopped using Linux in the first place, every time is start up I'd get two "system error" popups, neither of which actually explained the error, and for some reason no matter the DE, it was a fucking ram hog
>>
File: 1464991220092.jpg (23KB, 389x419px) Image search: [Google]
1464991220092.jpg
23KB, 389x419px
>>56938172
The neckbeard in mom's basement meme again.
>>
File: 1475007464423.jpg (55KB, 438x640px) Image search: [Google]
1475007464423.jpg
55KB, 438x640px
>>56938046
> it's a bad clone of bsd
Minix, and it's gone long ago.
>Linus forgot to copy SIGINFO
Tested and exist.
>>
>>56938310
Wifi drivers are only really a problem with Broadcom stuff nowadays, if you want plug-and-play then get some cheap chinese wifi card/usb dongle, they often have open specs and will work fine without any additional configuration.
>>
>>56937905
Spite post
>>
>>56938046
>GPL - it's not really free
Go prep your bull BSD cuck
>>
>>56938310
Nice pasta, mind if I use it?
>>
>>56938463
I use Ubuntu and broadcom wifi drivers are always conveniently found in "additional drivers". Never had a problem,, I just need to install it from there.
>>
>>56938715
why do you think that there are only bsd and gpl licenses?
also both of them are cuck
>>
>>56937993
>>56938018
I really don't understand this meme. I am I'm college and take statistics classes where excel is needed and I use libre calc and it works fine. I also use libre writer for all my assignments and save it as a Microsoft office file.

I haven't had a single professor complain about it. What are you guys doing?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.