[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it really so hard to make a decent phone? I feel like Google

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: gsmarena_001.jpg (24KB, 728x413px) Image search: [Google]
gsmarena_001.jpg
24KB, 728x413px
Is it really so hard to make a decent phone? I feel like Google has been dropping the ball hard in the past few months with all of the failed apps, discontinued services, and now the pixel phones.
This would be my idea of a perfect phone:
>5" and 5.7" options
>1080p and 1440p
>4gb ram
>AMOLED display
>32, 64, and 128gb storage options
>Expandable storage
>Removable battery
>SD 820
>Dual front facing speakers
>3300 mAh battery
>Starting price for lowest end model (5" 32gb) at $399
>Starting price for low end 5.7" phone at $450

I feel like this is a really feasible device, since we already have phones close to this around the $400 mark. What would you guys include in your perfect phone /g/?
>>
>>56937676
OP3 + decent screen and Nougat 7.1
>>
>>56937676
>32, 64 and 128gb storage options

This really needs to die. NAND is extremely cheap, there really is no reason to put so little. Every phone except budget phones should start at 128GB honestly.
>>
File: 1475670049760.jpg (349KB, 1378x1008px) Image search: [Google]
1475670049760.jpg
349KB, 1378x1008px
>Pajeet 1: "Ok guise, lets make this phone with the same rough size configurations as the iPhone 6 series, give it the chamfer of the 5S with the body of the 6, the glass panel of the 5S but made to look really weird and abnormally big, the headphone jack placement of the 4S the fingerprint scanner of the 5S with the placement of the HTC, the bottom bezel of the 4S but with nothing on it and overall a very confused design language with the feeling that a 9 year old with autism designed it in 15 minutes and Redditors named the colors. How's that?"
>Pajeet 2 - 8972: "Excellent boss its so amazing!"
>>
>>56937676
>5" and 5.7" options
Pixel and Pixel XL (5.5")
>1080p and 1440p
Pixel and Pixel XL
>4gb ram
Pixel and Pixel XL
>AMOLED display
Pixel and Pixel XL
>32, 64, and 128gb storage options
Pixel and Pixel XL
>Expandable storage
Never has and never will happen
>Removable battery
Never has and never will happen
>SD 820
SD 821
>Dual front facing speakers
Correct
>3300 mAh battery
Arbitrary number
>Starting price for lowest end model (5" 32gb) at $399
Arbitrary number
>Starting price for low end 5.7" phone at $450
Arbitrary number

I see one valid point and a bunch of other things that fit the Pixel and some arbitrary numbers
>>
>>56937813
The pixels look ugly as fuck
>>
>>56937676
I don't know if the price portion will be what you're after, but check out the LG V20 as a possible candidate.
>>
File: image.jpg (140KB, 1000x650px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140KB, 1000x650px
>>56937957
according to you. Designfag here and I think they're sexy
>>
>>56937813
>arbitrary number
What the fuck do you even mean by this, every price on every item on the planet is an arbitrary number
Stupid pajeets I swear
>>
>>56937676
Dual sim cards
>>
File: sum dum goy.jpg (50KB, 700x390px) Image search: [Google]
sum dum goy.jpg
50KB, 700x390px
>>56937676
>>Starting price for lowest end model (5" 32gb) at $399
>>Starting price for low end 5.7" phone at $450

there's no reason a phone should cost anywhere near that much. $200 is pushing it.
>>
>>56938010
You can't just throw a nondescript spec sheet out there and then put some magic price on it that you want it to be sold at. That's not how the world works. Prices are set based on extremely detailed market research.
>>
>>56937676
>This would be my idea of a perfect phone

kek who cares
let me guess without even reading
muh sd card
muh removable battery
muh speakers
muh ram
muh mid tier price

kek fuck off already
>>
>>56938078
Yeah, fuck him for wanting a good, future proof, phone
kek
>>
>>56937991
>Bezels
>>
Your pricepoints are not tenable for the modern smartphone market. OnePlus et al get away with what they do by doing most of the work directly in China, selling the devices directly over the internet and then taking almost no margin on them whatsoever, skimping on everything else. They don't have decent overhead, they don't have to license patents, they don't have to pay any substantial amount for advertising, they don't have to go to a partner to get their devices at retail, etc...

You basically want a high end smartphone with a high end screen, a respectable amount of RAM, with good build quality, and you want it to be uber cheap. Besides making the whole affair a giant bath for google, it would alienate OEMs like Samsung, who have threatened to migrate away from Android to other platforms (e.g. Tizen).

Not going to happen.
>>
>>56938129
kek he kek wants a pfone from 2004 m8
>>
>>56938144
Surprise surprise the passfag is shilling for expensive phones.
>>
>>56937991
>designfag

The funny is ugly, deal with it
>>
>>56937695
So the inevitable OP4 then?
>>
>>56938174
I'm not shilling for expensive phones, I'm just explaining that Google has its reasons to be non-price competitive. Namely, to not piss off the OEM partners. I am a former OnePlus One owner and I currently have a Moto X Pure 64GB (with a 64GB MicroSD). And I owned a Nexus 5, and a Galaxy Nexus before that.

Google has a path to show everyone a vision of what an Android phone should be. The camera needs to be great, it needs to be fast, it needs to charge quickly, have an overall hardware that feels premium. This gives all the other OEMs some tasks to stand against, and a good platform to demonstrate what Android can really be (with proper fast updates and close to stock with good tight integration with the hardware).

From a bang/$ perspective the Pixel is a total miss. Google's pride for muh cloud precludes the inclusion of expandable storage, the endless war for thinness means no removable battery. There are clear design compromises that were made by google rushing in at the last minute (as became clear with the giant bottom bezel with no fingerprint reader, stereo speaker, or capacitive buttons on it).

If you have money for something nice and the priority is the best possible software experience and support from the people who make it, the Pixel may be your choice. For an overall nice high end device, Samsung and others have some neat features (edge display, waterproofing, etc.) that might prove more compelling at the same pricepoint.

From a value prop, it's really hard to touch the Chinese OEMs. If you trust them, are happy with the software update pace, and are willing to deal with the fact that, in case of any problems, you might have more trouble with support (e.g. OnePlus denying the hardware faults with the touchscreen in the one and blaming software, endless reflashes of factory software, etc.) and much more time to receive a replacement device.
>>
>>56938150
>If it's good, it's from the past
Somehow, you're not even wrong on this one
>>
>>56938337
wow, an actual enlightened post on /g/
>>
>>56938337
>Google has a path to show everyone a vision of what an Android phone should be
They've never accomplished this though, not even with the nexus devices. Those never had expandable storage, and there was a major update to that in the marshmallow update.
IMO, the perfect phone would be an OP3 with only 4gb of ram, and designed by the old motorola team. That for a price of $400 is pretty amazing.
>>
>>56938337
>priority is the best possible software experience and support from the people who make it

If you want this, then you go to Apple. That's from someone who hates Apple, 5 years > 2 years.

Why would anyone who's looking at buying a Samsung/iPhone priced phone even consider this? Google's targeting the wrong audience
>>
No landscape keyboards....no SALE.

Just the same worthless slab as always. This phone is the same as all the others.
>>
>>56937676
Can someone explain me what's that circle thing behind phones nowadays? I've seen it in many of new released ones and I don't know what it does or if it's just a design thing.
>>
>>56938973
fingerprint reader famalam
>>
>>56938913
You post this in every thread autismo. Sorry most people don't give two fucks about physical keyboards anymore.

I type quicker with a touch based one then I did with physical back in the day anyway.
>>
>I want everything my way
>Also make it cheap
>WHY DONT YOU DO THIS OMMMGGGGG
>>
File: image.png (406KB, 805x667px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
406KB, 805x667px
>>56940548
He has a point though, even though his prices are naive. The hardware is not good enough in the pixel to justify the cost. The axon 7 and one plus three are 400 bucks and have pretty much the same shit, (for the axon 7 at least) with worse cameras. Doesn't justify the pixel being over twice as much if you get the 5.5 inch model with a usable amount of storage.

650-700 bucks would've been fine for 128gb 5.5 inch. But 870 is batshit insane.
>>
File: 1474151405545.jpg (62KB, 202x300px) Image search: [Google]
1474151405545.jpg
62KB, 202x300px
>>56937676
It's ugly on purpose
Google is way past its engineers tech origins
It's all about agenda, vapor features, being different and the premium experience
What amuses me is the first previews out
They are using phrases like 'the hardware is fine' or 'it will be an interesting set of features'
This overanalyses are the type of crap they pull when the product is lacking mandatory features, or literal stupidity.
The brand traction goes over common sense with things like 'the G logo is really cool'
>>
It's probably just a sellable prototype to see if they can make a real one in 3 months
>>
>>56937676
Looks like a Gatorade phone to me.
>>
>>56940778
Didn't they keep any Motorola employees around after they sold it? Those guys knee how to make a good looking phone.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-05-23-00-58.png (148KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-05-23-00-58.png
148KB, 720x1280px
>>56941039
>clever
Translation : crappy
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-05-23-01-24.png (146KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-05-23-01-24.png
146KB, 720x1280px
>fine
Translation : fuck, I'm still trying to swallow this crap
>>
>>56937676
>Is it really so hard to make a decent phone?

Have you ever had to design something using a committee that includes women?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.