[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can /g/ explain CPU cooling to me? I'm looking for a new

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

Can /g/ explain CPU cooling to me? I'm looking for a new heatsink that isn't the stock one and apparently capability is measured by wattage? How does all this work?
>>
Just get a hyper 212
>>
>>56930349
Dont listen to this guy
>>
>>56930349
I have a hyper 212. It's like 5mm too big for my case. I'm saving it for my next build, if there ever is one.
>>
stock coolers are just fine if you have to ask
>>
>>56930301
stock is fine unless you're overclocking or you find your CPU is overheating. I've had a 212 before as well as a stock cooler, both did the same job. Most recently I had to buy a new cooler since I noticed in certain games I was overheating and bluescreening, so I just picked the coolest looking one.
>>
>>56930374
>>56930400
The stock cooler has done me just fine, but I'm looking to drop my temperatures as low as I can get them. Right now my stock cooler idles about 30C, I've seen claims on the internet that some people can get it as low as 10C if not slightly lower.

For that matter, my video card has done me just fine but I installed another case fan anyway just the other day which keeps its temperature down by an extra 5C.
>>
>>56930301
All cpus come with a TDP rating in watts, but only some heatsinks will advertise their TDP.
-matching your cpu TDP with a cooler's TDP is a good start
-getting a cooler with higher TDP allows you to overclock
-heatsinks of approximately the same size should have approximately the same TDP
>>
>>56930301
The cooling capability is measured in wattage because that is what the heat sync is dissapating in watts of heat. Imagine having an old fashioned incandescent light bulb. Turn on a 60 watt incandescent light bulb. You are feeling very close to 60 watts of heat. Now cool it down with something and that thing will have to absorb or dissapate that 60 watts of heat and put it somewhere.
>>
>>56930428
>I've seen claims on the internet that some people can get it as low as 10C
Is your room 10c? 30c is probably as low as you are going to get an idle temp for.
>>
>>56930586
>>56930899
These make sense. Thanks guys.
>>
>>56930586
>only some heatsinks will advertise their TDP
It's looking to me, from my searching, like none of them do.
>>
>>56930428
You can't get below ambient room temperature using air cooling. If you want temperatures cooler than in your room invest in a water cooling loop.
>>
>>56930428
If your cpu temp is too much below the outside air temp it may cause condensation.
>>
i shove my computer in my window during the winter, for 10c and below. i live in canada, eh
>>
>>56931648
I live in Alaska, eh. This'd work but my battlestation is in the closet across the room from the window. That said, the closet where it is is the coldest place in the house; I keep a 12-pack of Coke down there and it's almost as cold as the fridge would make it.
>>
>>56931234
It would have to be a bong cooler, right? (or a water loop that extends to somewhere colder than the room the computer is in.)
Oh, or a peltier plate, right? Does anybody still use those?
>>
>>56930428
I think you're reading the graphs wrong. They are most likely increase in temp _over_ ambient.
>>56931234
Wrong. You can't go below ambient without phase change or TEC.
>>
>>56931748
Did, once.
Had a pair of blocks that took in 4x 500w peltiers. Couldn't run them at max amperage due to freezing the channels.
Had a separate loop to cool them, that got very toasty. It was far beyond overkill 2kW cooling capable = 4kW to disperse hotside, the complexity running sensors to keep CPUside loop at ambient without condensing was annoying, adding eraser to run sub-ambient was also a PITA.

That said, it was a great proof of concept and I'm happy I got it out of my system.

Peltier/TEC are are terrible idea for 1. Reliability and 2. The fact that you have to dissipate twice the amount you're cooling. Remember that Coolermaster V10? What a piece of shit. Granted, they did it they way they did to cater for worst case failure mode (TEC died).
>>
Temperature output is related to the wattage of a CPU
a 80w cpu cooler can safely cool an 80w cpu

If you are looking for a decent cooler, good cost, nice quality, i suggest anything bequiet
i have a bequiet shadowrock LP, it was like 50$ and keeps my g3260 at room temperature

air cooling cant make something cooler than the ambient temperature
>>
File: 20160625_211010.jpg (639KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160625_211010.jpg
639KB, 2048x1152px
>>56931845
DESU, pretty much anything could keep a G3xxx cool.
>>
File: Untitled.png (302KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
302KB, 1920x1080px
>>56931904
not with 7mm of clearance from the PSU fan
not everything
stock intel cooler was reaching 50c on idle beacuse no airflow
>>
>>56931942
Ah right. I forgot about tiny cases.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.