[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So with the new pixel phone out, anyone want to talk about google

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: imgres.jpg (4KB, 320x158px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
4KB, 320x158px
So with the new pixel phone out, anyone want to talk about google fi? is it worth it?anyone on it? i'm on verizon with grandfathered unlimited but shit is too expensive.
>>
bumping for carrier thread general
>>
I'm on Google Fi with a nexus 6p currently, avg bill about 50$ as high as 80 if I forget to turn wifi back on.

Pre ordered a pixel XL through Fi, get a free daydream headset and I'm financing it through Fi (0%)

Havent not had service anywhere, that being said sprint sucks for data it's shit, I'll use the switch command to force to T-Mobile.

Call and text are fine on both. I think I dropped one call once on the old version of the Fi app

Ultimately figure out how much data you use and if it makes it worth it
>>
RingPlus is better because its cheaper. I bought 5x with fi but switching to ringplus now
>>
>>56928927
How is it better? Not judging asking an actual qued

Also Fi live support is amazing
>>
6P on Fi for about a year now. It's been fantastic. Switching networks can have a bit of inconsistency in stability, but that's being ironed out very quickly. I noticed many bugs fixed in their monthly Fi updates, and their support is phenomenal.

Reception itself is excellent, and it's only ever inside of parking garages that I'm without it. Prices are straightforward and easy to understand.

There aren't a ton of downsides if you're using a Google device.
>>
>>56928970
Data is bigger and cheaper on promo plans. I use calling functionality once per month and don't use texting at all, so I don't care about quality and ads
>>
Been using Fi since July of last year, running a Nexus 6. I've had a single SMS message not go through in the last month, which was kind of annoying.

Calls had a hard time coming through early on in the service, but I've not noticed any delays after the first month or so.

I'd say if you use around 1-2 GB of data a month, you may want to consider the plan. I personally really like the concept of only paying for data that I use, but some prefer a consistent bill.

Just hoping that Fi doesn't randomly disappear one day like many of Google's past projects.
>>
>>56929085

RingPlus is a prepaid carrier that runs off theSprint4GLTEnetwork. RingPlus is compatible with all unlockedSprint CDMA

Sprint is to inconsistent and slow , atleast in my area

Fi is sprint ( good for call,sms)
T-Mobile (call SMS data)
US wireless (basically same as att)
>>
>>56929144
I've been working closely with the Fi service. As of now you're guaranteed min five more years of service as this what was purchased from the major backbones sprint and T-Mobile they reassess contracts after five years
>>
>$10/GB
Boost mobile exists you know.

https://www.boostmobile.com/unlimitedyou/

>$45/month
>optimized video streaming
>legit unlimited lte for everything else.
>8GB free hotspot data
>>
>>56929244
Throttles after x amount if data
>>
The main advantage of Fi is WiFi integration.

Everywhere there's WiFi, you have call+SMS service.

Fi automatically connects to trusted public WiFi through a VPN, so if you live in a first world location coverage is great and data is free.
>>
>>56929257
nope, I have them. AMA
>>
>>56929196
That's actually very reassuring to know, cool. I would imagine that five years out, the wireless carrier game will be substantially different, hopefully for the better.

I always felt kind of fucked as someone who uses very little data most of the time. Fi (and Republic Wireless before they went full retard) does data in a way that works out real well for me. Could be cheaper, but hey.

>>56929244
See, this is a great deal for people who consistently use a lot of data. This would cost me about $10 more without any benefits. In fact, I'd lose built-in cross-device SMS, which is a huge deal to me.

>>56929275
You can still use data if you're throttled. This graph really doesn't say anything.

https://www.boostmobile.com/support/faq/plans-services/reduced-data-speed/
>>
>>56929244
>optimized video streaming
Explain what they mean by this and then why you are a fucking cuck for parroting it
>>
>>56929275
Unless its changed I had boost a while back and after 5 or ten gigs LTE was throttled about 3/4 speed
>>
>>56929263
>data is free
No it ain't you mong, it's a whopping 10 fucking dollars for a single Gigabyte of data used. Open Wifi won't be everywhere and when it is you will experience dogshit speeds most of the time.
>>
>>56929263
>The main advantage of Fi is WiFi integration.
>Everywhere there's WiFi, you have call+SMS service.
I don't get this.
Everywhere there's wifi you should have call+SMS. That's because you have a fucking telephone.
>>
>>56929290
He means that Netflix is set to 480p and utilizes T-Mobiles unlimited streaming

It's optimized to not use to.much data while still looking acceptable on a smart phone
>>
>>56929297
Idk the free wifi near me is usually good and it has to meet certain requirements for the VPN back to google to establish one of which is speed and latency.
>>
>>56929321
>480p
>acceptable
What if I have a 5" smart phone and not a 320x240 Nokia brick?
>>
>>56929297
>Open Wifi won't be everywhere and when it is you will experience dogshit speeds most of the time.
That really sucks if that is the case for you. I've got good Wi-Fi coverage everywhere I'm at regularly, which results in most of my data being used while driving or something.

>>56929314
Cell phones don't typically provide SMS and Call services over Wi-Fi. That's changing as of the past year, of course, but is still not the norm.

If you live in bum-fuck nowhere and have some form of Internet connectivity, a feature like this will get you out of paying Verizon a ton a month just for basic cell service. Outside of that sort of scenario, yes, that's not really a big game changer, and I'm not sure why it is brought up so often.
>>
>>56929314
If you have no cell service, telecom and SMS will work over wifi good for buildings where cell doesn't penetrate well but wifi is available
>>
>>56929285
>See, this is a great deal for people who consistently use a lot of data. This would cost me about $10 more without any benefits. In fact, I'd lose built-in cross-device SMS, which is a huge deal to me.
Then get the $25/month 1GB of high speed data plan then. Also dafuq you mean you'd lose cross-device SMS? Why are you even using SMS at all when things like kik and whatsapp exist anyway?

>You can still use data if you're throttled. This graph really doesn't say anything.
>https://www.boostmobile.com/support/faq/plans-services/reduced-data-speed/
Even if I downloaded shit 24/7 at a constant 128kbps I could only use ~40GB of data you fucking retard.

Anyway I really do have legit unlimited lte else it would literally be impossible to use nearly 70GB of data in a month.
>>
>>56929342
"Acceptable" forgot the quotes lol
>>
I know about 6 people who switched to it and are super happy.
They are, however, not heavy mobile-data users.
>>
>>56929296
It's changed.
>>
>>56929342
Then you have unnecessarily high standards, or this sort of data plan is not for you. Key word is acceptable, not perfect, or even good.

>>56929355
>Why are you even using SMS at all when things like kik and whatsapp exist anyway?
Good for Kik and Whatsapp, but I literally know a single person who uses Kik. I use what the people I communicate with use, and it happens to be SMS.

As for the throttling issue, I don't know what to say. It's pretty clear about throttling on the website, but you've apparently got some abnormal situation going on, so lucky you.
>>
>>56929355
What's with calling someone names? And throttled doesn't mean 128kbps could be a 2mb pipe from the 15 available on none 4x4 towers. Your throttling may not be noticed to you but it is happening
>>
I hate all these separate messaging apps. Why can't we use a fucking standard like SMS. Or XMPP.
>>
>>56929420
Allo needs to incorporate SMS and MMS and then merge with hangouts lol
>>
Tmobile's $30 walmart plan > google fi
>>
>>56929387
Plans have changed. Only thing the unlimited plan is subject to is QoS which Tmobile and Verizon practice. Basically after you use 23GB of data your data speeds will be throttled to 2-4mbps but only if the network where you are comes under heavy load else normal high speeds will be available.

https://www.sprint.com/legal/open_internet_information.html?ECID=vanity:networkmanagement
>>
>>56929413
see >>56929441

>>56929436
t-mobile towers are have horrible lte coverage and stability/speeds. Use boost instead.
>>
>>56929436
Depending on your local T-Mobile coverage and amount of data you use, sure, that can be a better plan for you.

>>56929441
Wow, a sensible way of handling throttling. I'll keep Boost in mind in the future if I need to step up in data usage, looks like it'd be my best bet if I had to do that today.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161004-210821.png (103KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161004-210821.png
103KB, 1080x1920px
>>56928780
What's wrong with unlimited data on Verizon? I love it.
>>
>>56929493
Expensive see reason I left ,didn't need to use LTE as much as I did found that out real quick when j went from vzw to sprint to T-Mobile to fi
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.