[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Look guys, I know this thread will probably be shut down because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: dawson-crying.jpg (64KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dawson-crying.jpg
64KB, 640x480px
Look guys, I know this thread will probably be shut down because of some board rule. I don't know where to turn to.

I'm a stupid poor student son of a bitch who just recently saved up my hard earned shekels to buy a replacement laptop for the one I've owned for over 5 years that's been on it's last leg for about a year now. I bought an Acer Aspire r14 little over a month ago for $980.

I just spilled coffee over it about 3.5 hours ago. I'm so depressed. I have no money to fix it, and the warranty doesn't cover liquid damage.

Here's how it all went down:

>After the spill I quickly dried it off with paper towel (used half the roll just to be sure) and flipped it upside down for it to dry
>I've been using a fan to dry it off for 2 hours, placing it right to the laptop's vents etc
>As it was drying, i noticed that the LED indicators on the side for the battery were on, but were indicating that the battery was low (I didn't think about this at the time, but maybe that was also an indication that I didn't power it off, as it powered off right in front of my eyes on its own)
>I waited two hours of constant fanning (with it being unplugged), and decided to turn it on to see if it did the trick
>It didn't turn on, so I connected the power cord to it and tried turning it on to no avail.

I don't know what to do. I can't afford to repair it or replace it. I just bought it and I have all my class notes on it. I feel extremely depressed and down with nowhere to go.

Do you have any advice for me? Should I attempt to take it apart and dry it/ clean it myself? If so, how? There are a lot of material on the internet on how to clean it- but not one that's specific to my laptop (one where the battery doesn't come off). Please help

tl;dr, I spilled coffee on my Acer Aspire r14 and it doesn't turn on after I dried it off and fanned it out for 3 hours. I can't afford to repair/replace it. What should I do? Can I fix it myself?
>>
Condolences on the death of a loved one (your PC)

You could try a PC repair shop, they might have the tools and know-how to fix it but will likely charge you just to look at it.

Alternatively you could rip the hard drive out of it and plug it in something else (assuming the coffee spill didnt damage the hard drive you may be able to recover your files)
>>
>>56925675
I have under $190 left in my bank account, I called a few and they said the cost will range between $120-200 depending on the condition its in. I have to go grocery shopping like today because I have run out of food. Fuck. I have rent to pay still, and I don't get my paycheck until the 15th. I haven't felt this depressed in a long time.
>>
ultrasonic cleaner at a repair shop
>>
>>56925616
keep it offline for several days if possible to let it dry. let the battery drain completely, you don't want it to be powered while it dries.
let it dry for a few days, it can take a while for all the corners that air doesn't really get into to dry completely.
It's hard to tell what's wrong with it, but your class notes are probably fine.
does your old laptop still work?
>>
>>56926805
yes, ironically my lap top of 5 years is still working fine.

I ended up giving it to a electronics repair shop and paying $40 for a diagnosis. I figured if I could at least find out what the problem is, it'd be better than winging absolutely everything.
>>
>>56925616

F
>>
>>56926866
>yes, ironically my lap top of 5 years is still working fine.
what OS were you using on your current laptop?
>>
>>56926935
the fried laptop i was using windows 10

on this one it's windows 7
>>
>>56925616
If you're comfortable, take your laptop apart and clean up as much as you can with a microfiber cloth (or paper towel) and contact cleaner. Put components back together and test it. If you're not comfortable, take it to a local computer repair service (preferably one linked to a pawn shop) and ask if you could do a 1 for 1 trade while moving the hdd over while you pay for the labor (my shop charges like $45 for labor for moving hdds/files over). Some of the time, they'll work with you if you explain the situation.
>>
>>56926951
you can plug in the HDD of your new laptop into your old laptop. Depending on your laptop(s), this might be possible fairly easily, without having to take your laptop apart. Your old laptop will then boot the Win10 from your new laptop, and you will have access to all the data from your new laptop. Alternatively, you can plug the new HDD into your old laptop via an adapter or an external HDD case(10-20$).
>>
>>56925616
>>56925778
If you bought it new you should have a warranty, right? Have you read the Terms and Conditions? :^)

Otherwise, it sounds fucked.

OP, get a Lenovo Thinkpad T400 or T500 series laptop, or a Lenovo G550 from Ebay or something. They are less than $200.

Of course, this depends on what you need. If you need a literal electronic notebook and don't mind having to keep your shit on the charger most of the time, you can get an older laptop with 4GB or less of RAM, small on board HDD storage, and a relatively small screen. Does that sound fine?

Just keep using your old laptop until you can afford to do something about the new one. It's not that far away from now. A couple or a few weeks. Get some perspective.

Your notes aren't important at all unless you are either a STEM student or a sub-IQ who can't remember things just by listening and paying attention during class.
>>
>>56927108
that's the thing, even if i could do that, it's an SDD on the new laptop, not HDD
>>
>>56927169
the connections are the same
SSDs have exactly the same connectors as HDD(SATA)
>>
>>56925616
>acer
>>
>>>/adv/
>>
>>56927166
I bought a t420 eBay for 175usd . Worth it op. Also GNU+Linux is super comfy
>>
PROTIP: don't place open containers of liquid near your laptop
>>
>>56927166
If OP needs a literal electronic notebook, a $20 Alphasmart (again from ebay) will do the job. He'll just need to go to the library or something to upload anything that needs to be turned in.
>>
sell your games at gaystop
if repairs are estimated at 200 find a way to gather that money, make sacrifices if necesary

bide your time and use your old laptop until you can fix the new one, leave it off to avoid making it worse
>>
>>56927525
I don't play any games so i've got none of those to sell. I'm just gonna have to tighten my belt this month and find a way to get the money somehow

Thanks everyone for your advice by the way
>>
Never eat or drink around your computer. You don't need to and now you see why.

Don't buy expensive notebooks unless you are rich. Desktops are superior in every functional way. Spill shit in your keyboard and it doesn't kill your PC.

Poorfags should not spend a grand on a toy. Now you know why used Thinkpads are so popular. If you destroy one you can grab a donor or replacement off Ebay and get going. I've literally built several Pads from smashed and broken donors. All have run fine for years.
>>
>>56928515
i needed the laptop for taking notes in school while simultaneously shitposting and doing other things on the go.

I outgrew desktops
>>
Next time don't try to power it all and open it up immediately to manually disconnect battery and use isopropyl and q tips to clean it off
>>
It's pretty bad that the battery doesn't come off, I would want to remove it.

This doesn't really help your case right now but in the future don't get an expensive laptop that can't be repaired and don't forget to buy an external HDD for backup. You could have bought both of those for half the money you spent now. Thinkpads are not shilled for nothing, they can be opened up really well and batteries are out in a second. To rub it in they even have spillproof keyboards.

This just wouldn't be such a devastating issue with one of those.
>>
If you can -
remove the battery
open up the case and inspect the various pcbs. Liquid contamination should be easily visible. Clean this with distilled water (soda water is an alternative). Air dry the pcbs (a fan will help) and re-assemble.

Good luck.
>>
>>56925616
The problem was you didnt remove the battery.
>>
>>56925616
>flipped it upside down
You killed it
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.