[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is open source software so atrociously ugly as shit? Ricing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: No-Linux.png (44KB, 334x393px) Image search: [Google]
No-Linux.png
44KB, 334x393px
Why is open source software so atrociously ugly as shit? Ricing doesn't apply here to defend it.
>>
Your bait is bad and you should feel bad.
>>
>>56622979
No incentive
>>
File: yes.jpg (19KB, 507x679px) Image search: [Google]
yes.jpg
19KB, 507x679px
It is pretty simple: Programmers are not designers.

While the open source is great for software development, its advantages doesnt benefit software designers pretty much.

And since these open source software projects are often free of charge, they don't get enough money to hire a software designer.
>>
it's Unix tradition to have shitty looking desktops.
>>
>>56623064
No even commercial Unix looked like shit. Have you seen CDE or Solaris Java Desktop System?
>>
>>56622979
It's because most open source software are weekend projects.
>>
>>56623024
>Your bait is bad and you should feel bad.
I'd go as far as suggesting the young woman should kill herself.
>>
>>56622979
There are many programmers that like open source, so they develop open source software.
But there are far less user interface designers who like to design the ui of an open source project. They typically work for companies.
And even if there is someone in an open source project who's good at ui design. That stuff is much harder to coordinate via mailinglists or irc than in a company, where everyone works together.
>>
>>56622979
Because the purpose of open source isn't to lure in customers. The purpose is to create a useful program or etc...

Aesthetics are and should be an afterthought. I bet you put LEDs on your clear desktop tower too?
>>
>>56622979
I like to hack together programs and develop my own software, and for that foss does the job for me.
Sure the interfaces aren't the best, but that isn't the point of foss, the point of it is to develop software that both developers and users can use, modify and apply for their own purposes, said simply of course.
>>
>>56622979
Why is proprietary software so atrociously ugly as shit? I don't mean mainstream stuff like Photoshop, MacOS, Steam, or what have you, but the much wider array of proprietary business software or hobby projects that are ugly as sin
>>
>>56623084
Those tools are made for and by the same people who don't know or care about design
>>
>>56622979
i like it. gnome is comfy
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.