[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have heard people saying it's bad to use CCleaner, especially

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: cc_128.png (6KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
cc_128.png
6KB, 128x128px
I have heard people saying it's bad to use CCleaner, especially the registry cleaning.

Is it really, though? Does it even help at all, or is it just placebo?
>>
The latter
>>
>>56598832
Read this:
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/cybercrime/2015/06/digital-snake-oil/
>>
>>56598832
Your best bet when it comes to utilities for Windows is to use the native solutions. The OS is closed source, so you run more of a risk than normal when it comes to modifying the system by using turd party solutions.

Just google what you want to do and find a way to do it using the tools provided by Microsoft®™.
>>
Registry cleaners can be useful to clean up old MIME links for programs that are not on the computer anymore or removing entries in "Programs and Features"... not much beyond that.

Otherwise CCleaner is fine as a quick way to clean up your drive. You're not going to get extra FPS or some stupid shit for using it, just saving yourself some time doing it manually.
>>
File: CCleaner64_2016-09-14_19-24-20.png (139KB, 1275x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CCleaner64_2016-09-14_19-24-20.png
139KB, 1275x1080px
I use ccleaner + ccenhancer
never had an issue
cleans up all the installers/cache/logs/regkeys and other gunk that applications leave on my system
pic related
>>
>>56598832
Unless you know what the registry entries it's telling you to delete actually do, you're better off not 'cleaning' the registry.
>>
>>56598939
why would people want to remove that stuff? I understand browsers cache and such, which may take a reasonable amount of space, but that?
>>
Wangblows rot will fuck you after a while one way or the other

Never really saw the point in maintenance tools
>>
>>56599003
i just don't like it
maybe it's OCD
i also reinstall windows every year at least because i install and uninstall a lot of big applications and i hate that they leave files behind, feels like i'm sitting in trash

linux is so much better from this point of view

the only problem i ever had in ccleaner was with some old ATI driver that used a regkey that ccleaner removed. i added it to the ignore list
>>
>>56598832
Helps me with listing out correctly the startup programs, along with the path they originate from at a quick glance.
I really don't need the extra space too much since i keep as little shit as possible in my drive but whatever, quicker to defrag i guess
>>
>>56598921
This.
>>
>>56599191
autoruns is better for changing startup programs
>>
>>56598873
Id rather Bing it instead
>>
>>56598921
there could also be a bug or flaw in the way the registry cleaner checks for missing links which could hose your install while adding no tangible benefit even if there were no bugs or flaws which is why it's not recommended to run automatic registry cleaners and instead manually remove orphaned registry entries after each uninstall or deletion. i run auto cleaners from time to time due to ocd and not giving a fuck if it hoses my install....
>>
>>56598873
>tools provided by Microsoft®™
Pajeet will be eating and shitting tonight.
>>
>>56598852
It's funny, because I'm not sure anymore if Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does anything that Windows Defender doesn't do.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.