[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is computer programmer actually a shit job? I'm currently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: 1469316572253.jpg (44KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
1469316572253.jpg
44KB, 460x345px
Is computer programmer actually a shit job?

I'm currently studying for a degree in IT and was planning to go for a programming job after I finish because I enjoy programming, but looking at average pay for it, they get fuck all. Is there another job in IT I should be going for instead?
>>
File: 1470733098198 (1).png (321KB, 1645x1204px) Image search: [Google]
1470733098198 (1).png
321KB, 1645x1204px
BUMP
>>
>>56590045
just look at this board. look at the posts in it

think about what kind of people make these posts. is that what you want to be?

all that aside, nah it's great do it up broski
>>
>>56590045
>Is computer programmer actually a shit job?

"computer programmer" could literally be a million different things, so you have to more specific.
>>
>>56590423
But isn't the pay like crap or something?

>>56590441
Someone who designs and programs apps and games. Or just one of the jobs on job sites listed as C#/Java/C++ etc. developer (because I know game developers get fuck all, but designing them seems fun to me)
>>
>>56590045
"computer programmer" is just one way of saying "I solve problems with software" and there are a lot of jobs you can get with that skillset.

I'm a Software Engineer. I spent all day programming today and I make 70k in a place where that is the high end for a recent grad. I got 4 job offers out the gate and got similar offers. Where are you looking that you're seeing low salaries for programmers?
>>
>>56590479
if youre doing it for the pay, its not for you
>>
>>56590045
It's not a shit job. Programming is interesting and you'll learn lots about computers, develop interesting stuff, companies will want you etc. The bad part about it is that your employers will treat you like garbage, they will often not give you enough time to finish your work properly by giving you a ton of impossible to meet deadlines. They'll also take you for granted since you're easily replaceable and big companies usually outsource their projects 90% of the time nowadays.

It's a hard field to be in, there's a ton of competition and you'll hate yourself at times. It can be really rewarding if you land yourself a good job spot at say, Google or whatever though.
>>
>>56590045
Go for more niche fields, generic programming jobs are flooded with self taught people
>>
>>56590483
70k is like entry level salary for just about every profession, it's not really something to be that proud of.
>>
>>56590483
I googled average salary for a programmer in Singapore and it was like $47k. It's about the same in my home country NZ.

>>56590507
>>56590511
Then which IT career should I steer towards instead? I know a bit of database and testing too that I'm good at.
>>
Hahaha, no. It's not all shit. Are you good at what you do? Do you like coding? Then join it.

I got a $67,000/year in midwest (KC) right out of college. Which isn't anything to brag about i'm just trying to set expectations. If you get just an IT support style job you will be making less.

If you believe the stories about people making 6 figures straight out of college I can pretty much guarantee that the costing of level there is high.

Then again it really depends on where you are working. Some people say that your employers will treat you like shit, but it doesn't have to be that way. I work for a pretty big company but I managed to fight my way to a good position where most people don't put in 40 hours a week.

If you want to get a huge amount of money you have to have ambition and specialize and do contracting. This is where you'll get your most money ($100/hr).
>>
>>56590544
Sysadmin, IT department in a big company (fix computers, install them etc.), Software engineering. Startup is worth considering if you know what you're doing, but a startup can also be a good way to just throw money into the drain. So only make a startup if you know what you're doing.
>>
File: 1415922293289.png (202KB, 352x374px) Image search: [Google]
1415922293289.png
202KB, 352x374px
>>56590423
This board is not even remotely indicative of people with jobs

>>56590479
>But isn't the pay like crap or something?

Not if you live in the US, where it's one of the highest paying fields out there. Average starting salary in the midwest is $50,000. In larger cities it is significantly higher.

I'm a self taught front end dev. I work with PHP and JS all day. It's a pretty laid back job. It's production, but one of the comfiest production jobs around. I live in a ~3 mil population metro area in the midwest and make $70K. I'm less than two years in. A comparable job in silicon valley would pay well over $100K (to compensate for their higher cost of living). Again, I do not have a degree. In anything. If you get a degree you could easily make more than I do right now, right out the gate.
>>
>>56590534
>70K
>Entry-level

You realize most grads in the U.S. top out at 50K/year?
>>
>>56591446
Since when? Pretty much me and all of the fresh graduates I were with made 70k/80k a year the moment they graduated. You guys are incompetent as fuck or you just suck at looking for jobs.
>>
>>56591497
Well, 70K/year is exactly what I'm making, fresh out of school, so I guess I'm about as good as you but I enjoyed the salt. Where did you get a job? It matters where in the united states you're working, too, if you're getting cucked in living expenses.

The average salary for grads <$50,000/year. And most people in the U.S. aren't grads. So.

http://www.businessinsider.com/colleges-with-the-highest-starting-salaries-2015-8
http://time.com/money/3829776/heres-what-the-average-grad-makes-right-out-of-college/
http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Fresh-Graduate-l-United-States.html
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Degree=Bachelor's_Degree/Salary
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=77
>>
File: 1472447104713.jpg (39KB, 550x516px) Image search: [Google]
1472447104713.jpg
39KB, 550x516px
>>56590045
Saturated market full of android/ios developers. You won't be doing anything meaningful except cranking out code for shitty apps that no one is going to use unless it's social media or for an already reputable company.

If you get lucky and can land a government contractor job doing programming you're pretty much set because companies milk the fucking shit out of the government.
>>
>>56590045
Yes

>Is there another job in IT I should be going for instead?
Dev ops is easier. You fucked up though because you chose IT. I don't think there are any good jobs in IT.

Get into robotics and automation, just stay the fuck away from code monkey land
>>
>>56591497
>>56591563
What you're paid has nothing to do with how good of a developer you are / how good you are at your job.

Its just negotiating ability.
>>
>>56591584
>there are no good jobs in IT

Bullshit. I'm making 50K (not a college grad) working as a government contractor on air traffic control systems for the FAA. People who usually complain about IT being shit dead end jobs are full of shit and aren't looking outside of the box, because most people believe IT is that salty sysadmin/technician that runs around office cubicles and fixes retarded operator errors and usually aim for those kinds of jobs.
>>
>>56591446
>>56590534
>>56591497
>read these
>making way under 30 000 eur a year as a junior dev of six months
You fags should be grateful.
>>
>>56591605
Who was comparing dev dicks? One monkey said that 70K/year is an average grad salary and that's simply not true.

Some professions will not offer you 70K/year no matter how good you are at negotiating. It also has to do with skill demand.
>>
>>56591572
>gov't dev job
stop spilling my plans
>>
>>56591584
>robotics and automation
that's the kind of thing I'm interested in, what do you need to do to go down that path?
>>
>>56591647
> One monkey said that 70K/year is an average grad salary and that's simply not true.

Yes. And every one of these threads where someone is talking about salary, they never mention cost of living index in their area.

Example, I wrote a recommendation letter for one of my programmers who followed her husband out to Orange county. She's now making about what I am and she takes forever to code the simplest thing (she's also a cute Asian girl, btw). Orange county is 33% above the national average. Where I am is 6% below the national average. So, for an ~$60K salary where I am, it is equivalent to an ~$85K salary in Orange county (rounded down).
>>
>>56591939
Cost of living index is meaningless because it assumes everyone spends 100% of their income on the exact same categories
>>
File: 26546543.jpg (53KB, 502x376px) Image search: [Google]
26546543.jpg
53KB, 502x376px
>>56590045
It's the mason of 21st century.
>>
>>56590045
If you're going for a degree in IT, you are CERTAINLY gonna hate it. IT is a shit industry; programming is a little more interesting, but still fairly limited. You earn well straight out of university, and then your earnings are capped really early on unless you change to a project manager type role.
>>
>>56590045
I'm about to be an intern for software development and already want to an hero, sounds like absolute hell. Even if the people here are nice, the job doesn't sound appealing.
I knew I fell for the meme, should've studied networking and be a sysadmin. Maybe there's still time...
How do I switch? Syadmins can't really have a portfolio on github, so I'm guessing certificates?
>>
>>56590796
Just curiius, when americans post pay, does that mean after taxes, because its nearly 10 times higher than here
>>
>>56591446
Yeah the English majors
>>
>>56595157
that's before taxes desu

t. front end developer making 100k
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.