[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be CompEng major >learning java the first year >get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: 1469103420625.jpg (66KB, 665x662px) Image search: [Google]
1469103420625.jpg
66KB, 665x662px
>be CompEng major
>learning java the first year
>get triggered on the daily because it basically a retarded version of C
>sit next to some faggot who brags about knowing java and html
>tell him that i think it's odd that Comp Eng majors would start with Java as opposed to C or C++
>well if you don't understand it you should just drop the class
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>56589084
Stick to the classic libraries.

If it was in version 1, 1.1 JDK, you're good, the older libraries were designed by C engineers.
>>
>>56589084
Also remember java is just a VM written in C.

Also dumb frogposter
>>
>>56589104
>>56589111
Thanks.
>>
>>56589084
Java's not horrible. It's a good way to start learning, although I think C/C++ might be better since you learn how to use pointers and not have the JVM handle memory management for you. But from a solely pragmatic point, Java is what you will end up using in a lot of enterprise programming jobs. Especially defense and aeronautics.

If you already know C, fall alseep through the lectures because, like you said, it's pretty much C with handholding. But make sure you leave the class knowing how to use it.

I'm also a CE major, I'm taking internships for a large name defense contractor because I showed them some projects I made with realtime Java libraries. I prefer C though.
>>
Java is worth learning, it's a living guide on how to make an abstraction and then spend lots of time to develop rules that let you use it without hating your life.
I hope you already read the GoF book on patterns.
>>
And yeah, CE is CS+EE, you will have to pretend to be an aspiring web dev monkey in your CS classes, and a hardware eng in EE classes.
Take each major required undergrad level classes as electives of your own if possible. That way is most fun.

I regret skipping electromagnetics.
>>
Why don't you cool down on the autism, friend.
>>
>it basically a retarded version of C
So what I'm hearing is that you have no experience with either language
>>
>>56589259
I just want to do low level stuff like firmware development and other embedded related things. I don't see why I need to know Java.

>>56589390
I have very little experience with Java but I am not liking what I see so far. It seems verbose and ugly. A lot the things I am doing in the class exercises would be a lot shorter and readable in C.
>>
>>56589356
Sorry I just hate everyone in Uni. They're all shallow or incredibly vain. I am not trying to be edgy it's just what I've noticed. It's like high school all over again.
>>
>>56589587
uni is worth it stick it out is my thoughts
>>
>>56589329
>And yeah, CE is CS+EE
FALSE!
as far as ABET acredation CE is CS + project management
>>
>>56589656
OP here, for me it's literally CS + EE.
>>
>>56589458
>A lot the things I am doing in the class exercises would be a lot shorter and readable in C.
for you're basic intro level class, yes this is true, for your higher level OO/Android/web dev stuff, this is false
>>
>>56589684
>Android stuff
>in C
Don't joke about that man, people die that way.
>>
>>56589084
All they teach cs majors is java and old tech. You could just buy a modern PHP IDE it would save you 4 years and a fuckload of money.
>>
>>56589666
weird, the only difference between my uni's cs and ce degrees is two more "project management/team building" type courses, it's probably just my uni though, they've completely split the low level logic classes, engineer's take theirs and we take ours even though there's a crapton of overlap
>>
>>56589742
(You)

>>56589714
I think you misread his post.
>>
>>56589608
I will stick it out but I think I'll probably fail out. I am doing fine right now but I think I am in the early stages of Schizophrenia. I was diagnosed with Bipolar I a few years ago but now I am developing all those weird symptoms that are associated with Schizophrenia. Being unable to show the proper emotions (laughing when I am mad, frowning when I am happy), flat affect, word salad and cognitive impairment (which has really sucked). I am fucked.
>>
>>56589820
Supreme gentleman in the making.
>>
>>56590552
Elliot wasn't schizophrenic, he was just a faggot.
>>
>>56589820
sound's like java's the least of you worries
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.