[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Please guys, how do I create a config file in Ubuntu? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

Please guys, how do I create a config file in Ubuntu? I'm trying to install compton because Ubuntu is causing screen tearing. And I have to create a config file with pic related. I don't even know where the "~/." directory is.
I'm trying to learn but Linux is fuil of bugs.
>>
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/TildeSlash

It's really just "~/" with "." being part of the filename.
>>
>>56571020
~/ refers to your home directory (i.e. /home/yourname)

".compton.conf" is what the file should be called

Just paste the code into a text editor and save with the file name and ending in the right place

Not sure if that will solve your problem of screen tearing though - that is usually down to bad or badly configured graphics drivers. For intel you sometimes have to change the type of acceleration, good luck if you have nvidia or AMD.
>>
>>56571062
>>56571108
Thank you guys for responding.
Will creating this file set up compton as my compositor?
>>
I can't create a file in my home directory! I don't know what to do.
>>
>>56571020
What's this "screen tearing" I always hear about?
>>
>>56571289
It's hell. You can't even watch a video without noticing horizontal out of phase lines
>>
>>56571324
But doesn't unity come with a compositor? Is it compiz or mutter now?

Having xfce or lxde suffer from screen tearing I get that, but unity and gnome 3?
Something doesn't add up
>>
>>56571020
Config files are one of the worst (if not the worst) parts of Loonix and I don't really blame you for getting lost.

~/. just means your home directory (as your current user) by the way. It's equivalent to /home/fag0t/*.
>>
>>56571020
10/10 OP
>>
>>56571194
Lol.i don't think you're gonna make it kiddo
>>
>>56571020
If you're using unity then it should already be composited. I fixed tearing problems I had with the Radeon drivers by adding "Option EXAVsync "True"" to Xorg.conf you can read about it here http://linux.die.net/man/4/radeon
>>
I'm using xfce and I also have this tearing issue.
Would using Compton fix this?
>>
>>56571020
>I don't even know where the "~/." directory is.
>This is somehow a bug
>>
>>56571986
>It's equivalent to /home/fag0t/*
No it's not, fuck off.
>>
>>56571108
how do you change the type of acceleration?

I get it a bit on openbox, though not as much as on xfce. Mostly happens when scrolling web pages or seeking within videos (playback itself isn't too bad).
>>
>>56574000
Autism
>>
>>56571020
Hay OP if you're on Intel integrated graphics you can also eliminate tearing through your gpu configuration. I did this on my x220 to save 10 minutes of battery life

Search for Intel Tear-free video Arch Wiki
>>
I get screen tearing in a normal window but as soon as I go fullscreen it disappears.

Any fix for this?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.