[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have to install CentOS on a server with 8 140GB HDDs. I know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: robocig.jpg (597KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
robocig.jpg
597KB, 1920x1080px
I have to install CentOS on a server with 8 140GB HDDs. I know that I don't need a GUI and I want to make it all RAID 0 but I don't know how to do any of this. Please help
>>
>>56550247
>RAID 0
There are easier ways to quickly delete all your data.
>>
Use JBOD
>>
>>56550449
I mean RAID 1
>>
I'm working with my jobs sysadmin and he wants me to do this but I don't know what I'm doing. He wants CentOS with raid 1 on a server
>>
>>56550502
8 drives in RAID 1 is kind of overkill. Three is more than enough...
If you have decent raid hardware make an 8 drive RAID 6 and install on that, or make a six drive RAID 6 and install on a RAID 1.
>>
>>56550536
Forgive me for being a retard but 'how do I do that?' and do I do it before or after I install centos?
>>
>>56550545
you can use hardware raid if you've got it in your server, which would be the best way to go.
But you can also setup a software raid with MD in the centos installer
wouldn't recommend ZFS or BTRFS for beginners, it's a world of tears if you're not experienced.
>>
>>56550629
Thanks, I don't wanna be a leech so I'll just google for a bit. Any sources I could go to learn this, or books that you guys recommend?
>>
>>56550717
centos wiki (not great, kind of outdated)
arch wiki (with a grain of salt)
debian wiki (commands will be different)

https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5
https://wiki.debian.org/SoftwareRAID
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Software_RAID_and_LVM

Arch has some of the best docs in the game. They don't always apply to the distro you're using or the versions of packages, but they're a good place to look...
>>
do raid10 or raid6
use mdadm
>>
>>56550629
>hardware raid
>the best way to go.
no it's not. software raid (with mdadm) is much easier to recover once things break. hardware raid is really only good if you have multiple servers and can afford to have identical hardware raid cards and/or mobos in stock to replace the broken ones.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.