[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make my laptop's (Dell Latitude D620) battery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 20160910_194956.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160910_194956.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I want to make my laptop's (Dell Latitude D620) battery last forever. I plan on doing the following:
>Get a 12-cell battery (they make them, AGPTek) and replace the cells with high-quality cells from Panasonic (18650, 3400mAh)
>Possibly change processors to something more power-efficient (L series has 10W TDP, U has 5.5W). Need a donor mobo though
>Get a media bay battery. Maybe mod it out with custom cells
>do everything in software to increase battery life (wifi power saving, sound power saving, tlp, conservative governor, etc.)

Anything else I can do to make this last forever? Also, would having a media bay battery increase charging speeds?
>>
>>56540661
A Panasonic 3400mAh has roughly 13Wh of power, so a 12-cell battery filled with them has ~155Wh of power.

The standard media bay battery has 48Wh of power, so let's add that as well (new cells could revive or increase this number if the cell is too old).

The computer has 203Wh of battery power. The current CPU (T7200), has a voltage range of 1.0375V to 1.3V, making the total wattage draw somewhere between 27W and 34W of power. Let's assume we stick to the lowest most of the time and bring it up slowly (up and down threshold in conservative is custom, switches a lot).

203.04/((0.99+27)+(0.01+34)) = 7.5 hours

Let's drop an hour due to screen, wifi, GPU, fans, etc. I am looking at just over six hours of on-time, which is okay.
>>
Get an SSD thats much more power efficent than a HDD. Also see if you can get an IPS screen
>>
>>56541118
I already have an SSD. Let me look into an IPS screen.
>>
>>56541097
That sounds terrible, actually.
>>
>>56541134
I want to get one of the low voltage or ultra low voltage motherboards for this laptop, so I can slip it right in (hopefully) and get insane power savings from it. The TDP for the L is 10W and U is 5.5W.

I need to upgrade it, but I don't want to drop a ton of money on it. How much for a reasonable Thinkpad?
>>
take a few sealed lead acid batteries (the ones found in cars/UPS's) and wire them in parallel, this will allow you to increase capacity with out skyrocketing the voltage, all you have to do is connect it to the power jack (given it takes a 12 volt supply, if not just add the appropriate converter circuit ) and voila! a multiday long battery.
(its also gonna weigh like 20 pounds but its cool)
>>
>>56540661
>spend more on this piece of shit instead of getting a Surface 3 and a bunch of power covers and just swapping them like a retard
Brah.
>>
Youd probably be better off buying a skylake laptop.
>>
>>56541177
Cars do not have sealed batteries.
>>
>>56541186
ya but its a common term, would help people find them
>>
>>56541134
I think the low-end TDP is off a lot, but I'm not sure. Also, it is going to be in sleep mode for a lot of the time, so 6-hours can be a whole day
>>56541181
>Surface 3
no
>>56541183
I already have about 20 of the 18650s lying around, so all I need to spend money on is the AGPTek battery. I will probably sell the other cells for cheap to make some money back.
>>
>>56541220
>ya but its a common term
What? Cars do not have sealed batteries. If you want sealed batteries, search for them.
>>
File: 1446679615011.gif (1MB, 512x336px) Image search: [Google]
1446679615011.gif
1MB, 512x336px
>>56541181
>thread about a laptop
>suggests to buy a tablet
>>
>>56541382
>>56541183
>>56541181
>>56541134
>>56540661
I got some more data:
at 85% battery life on an 86Wh battery, I get around 2h 51m of battery life with maximum power savings.

Assuming I get the battery capacity of 203Wh, then this will last me about 8 hours on one charge. That's not bad at all. Let me try turning off a core and see what happens then
>>
>>56541481
ETA of battery life is a couple minutes shorter with only one core and no speedstep (held in lowest power state).
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.