[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong with VR? Seems like all of the buzz died as soon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: tmp_29466-images(12)-979983732.jpg (5KB, 295x171px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_29466-images(12)-979983732.jpg
5KB, 295x171px
What went wrong with VR? Seems like all of the buzz died as soon as the consumer models were released and now the only thing people bring up are the rapidly declining sales numbers.
>>
Still no MMO-VR-hentai games released.
>>
File: 1465628229740.jpg (16KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
1465628229740.jpg
16KB, 292x257px
>tfw you didnt fall for the vr meme
>tfw the vr meme encouraged ayymd and novidya to waste money on making cheap meme ready cards for no real reason at all
>>
>>56535458
too high barrier for entry for something thats not mandatory
>>
>>56535458
No truly great unique experience that isn't based on 'it's a game but it's all around me'
>>
File: EmergingTech_Graphic.png (203KB, 2042x1688px) Image search: [Google]
EmergingTech_Graphic.png
203KB, 2042x1688px
>>56535458
It's still very expensive
And consumer models are not in stores / demo setups.

Very few people are going to invest in a €1000 + pc and €800 headset without trying it first.

My GearVR is great for now. I will get the second or third iteration of a proper VR headset.
It also needs more games.

It's at a low point even for gartner
>>
>>56535458
hyped up smartphone goggle graphics bullshit, i am sure it is not as great as the marketeers make it out to be, smartphones are cool little gadgets but people tend to overestimate their capabilites, i seen some videos my niece made with a galaxy s6 that had choppy sounding audio and it was frame dropping like crazy so not only was the audio full of missing pieces it was not synced to the video, when a dedicated video camera would have done a far better job,

yeah,. smartphone fans greatly overestimate the capabilities of their smartphone gadgets
>>
>>56535667
Mobile VR is sick, though.

(Not Cardboard obviously)
>>
>>56535760
Wasn't this planned?

I remember Valve saying they were going to release the first models at a high price to focus on enthusiasts, then they would lower the price with a new model and market toward the general public.
>>
>>56535458
Evrything went according to plan. They used hype to get as many purchases as possible this gen but it's obvious to everyone on the inside that affordable/ fully functional VR and AR devices are years if not decades away from now. They hope developers in niche markets (museums, visualizers, academics, hobbyists) will sort out the design/software kinks while the hardware scales in the background. When the mainstream market ability takes off, one platform will essentially have a monopoly. It will be like the beginning of personal computers all over again.
>>
>>56535796
I would not say 'planned'
New tech is more expensive. I remember how much trouble Oculus had to going through to get proper screens for the DK2.
Newer models will be cheaper because tech is cheaper and because they build more + have factory's already setup, research done etc.
>>
>>56535796
Palmer always insisted CV1 was for enthusiasts.
>>
>>56535760
>demo setups.

This is the biggest thing for me right now. I'm not gonna drop $600+ on something where I have to try out myself to see if it's even worthwhile.
>>
>>56535638
VR Ready is literally a buzzword. It means absolutely nothing lmao. They just knew a bunch of retards with spare cash to throw in the garbage would fall for the meme.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.