[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Possibly going to do my thesis on machine learning and handwriting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

Possibly going to do my thesis on machine learning and handwriting recognition, with little domain knowledge. How fucked am I if i do this? How far can a novice get in 6-8 months?
>>
>>56531289
I'll put it like this:
> I am lib art major, doing programming in my free time while working 45 hours a week
> for 10 months I was able to learn C and C++ with the basics of OOP and other shit like Python and Java
> just recently ( last month ) I was able to make a simple program that detects movement and does simple face recognition ( as simple as, yeah its human face )
> I have no math background or anything like that, I was using C++ and Python for visualization and GUI

so yeah, if a lib art faggot like me can do it, you can too.

If you are doing this full time and you are serious you can 100% be successful with your project.
>>
If someone set you up for the thesis it is an undergrad one and was deemed suitable for you, i.e babby tier easy shit for the sake of practise

(like all BSc theses are)
>>
>>56531390
It's an MSc thesis, and I had to present the idea I had to a supervisor, who said it was gonna be pretty hard.
>>
This is already a well-researched area, what is your angle?

Seems like actual feature detection with OpenCV (done to death) would only be a minimal part of it and take the backseat to analyzing the data.
>>
File: pb.jpg (240KB, 1720x1362px) Image search: [Google]
pb.jpg
240KB, 1720x1362px
>>56531481
Recognising an array of names in hard to read handwriting, see pic related.
>>
>>56531576
Signature recognition (as used in behavioural biometrics) or OCR?

If it is the former I would seriously consider investigating the myriad of existing approaches first if I were you

The latter you could easily spin into something that'd actually contribute
>>
>>56531786
A sort of OCR, but on a name level rather than character level, that could run through these types of records(Census records too), and return a list that is searchable. Right now it's just mormons transcribing it all manually lmao
>>
>>56531289
Before using OpenCV let me tell you for all the power it packs,the documentation is shit.Had to use an old version for my last project to work because documentation is a mixture of old and new software.
>>
>>56531289
My master's thesis involves making a markerless AR system for mobile platforms (I'm using OpenCV on Android) and my supervisor's liking it. Some professors and nearly all of my peers wished me good luck thinking it's near impossible to do.

I have had no prior knowledge of Android, computer vision or augmented reality and I've pretty much done everything in 3 months of semi-hard work.

It's doable, OP. Handwriting recognition and machine learning is very well documented in a ton of books/publications and online.
>>
>>56531289
Im sure you can learn the basics in a weekend.
>>
I've done in only 3 month a entirely completed application. (i was a novice in OpenCV)
>>
>>56534313
You may try this book, it helps :
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920044765.do
>>
>>56533333
>>
>>56534313
What was it?
>>
>>56534410
"Ships recognizing" i made a neural system to detect when a ship is coming in a lock because it was so hard to get direct recognition (the shape are different between two boat). So i used to split the detection in many parts (neural system) speed, orientation, volume occupied.
>>
>>56531891
Sounds interesting and useful. Good luck to you anon
>>
>>56531289
THE FUCKING BLUE CIRCLE THING IS MISPLACED

HOW CAN YOU LIVE KNOWING THIS

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU

MAKE IT RIGHT

MAKE IT RIGHT NAO
>>
>>56536054
It's supposed to look like
O
C V
>>
>>56536054
Fuck off retard
>>
File: 1473518723122.png (146KB, 2000x2464px) Image search: [Google]
1473518723122.png
146KB, 2000x2464px
>>56536054
THERE

JESUS

OK

I can breathe now.

Oh my god.
>>
>>56531289
Why do you want to use this dumb slow atrocity?
>>
>>56536141
ITT: literal autism
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.