[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you apply thermal paste /g/? What are your typical results?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

File: thermal.jpg (133KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
thermal.jpg
133KB, 1000x562px
How do you apply thermal paste /g/?
What are your typical results?

I'm not saying "i don't know how pls halp" I'm asking what technique you ne/g/roes use to perfect the thermal paste application.
>>
>>56527535
One small tube of thermal past is a single serving size for the CPU. Just empty the tube in the middle of it and when you put on the fan it will spread.
>>
>>56527535
Personally I do a small X on the CPU. Not from end to end, just a small X. Works well for me and provides better all-round spread than a line does because it lends itself more to a circular shape anyway.

As for GPU? You NEED to put on LOTS, in a 5 or 6 point star shape.
>>
>>56527535
basically like that picture. honestly, unless you use WAY too much or WAY too little it will have literally no impact. it's easy to worry about but it's honestly something that has a ridiculous tolerance either way.
>>
Pour it all on the CPU. The more the merrier. The old myth about putting only a small amount being fine was when the paste conducted electricity and risked damaging hardware components if it spilled. This is not the case anymore. Do 3 vertical lines and one horizontal line in the middle, or an X with a horizontal line in the middle.
>>
File: 1444543550597.jpg (25KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
1444543550597.jpg
25KB, 270x270px
I try to put a reverse christian cross because I despise religion.
>>
Put a dab on that is about the size of a grain of rice as close to center as possible. Install cpu and leave your desktop on its side. Turn on pc for like 20 minutes. Turn off pc and stand it up.

That is legit, you should watch some youtube videos anyways. I wanted to make a thread asking about a decent VPN, but when i saw this thread i figured i would just ask here.

Anyone recommend a safe and cheap vpn? trying to get my torrent on at work so....
>>
>>56527692
>a reverse christian cross
There is no such thing.
The inverted cross is St. Peter's cross which is still a Christian symbol. Only teenage edge lords think its offensive.
>>
>>56527562

>One small tube of thermal past is a single serving size for the CPU. Just empty the tube in the middle of it and when you put on the fan it will spread.

What the fuck no.
>>
File: 1452692457640.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1452692457640.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>56527734
If only I could fit this on my CPU...
>>
>>56527692
*tips trilby*
>>
>>56527758
What a new fag... It's called a fedora, you new fag.
>>
I stopped using thermal paste altogether in my builds around the same time I stopped using shampoo in the shower. Shampoo strips your hair of it's natural oils and your scalp overproduces sebum to compensate, so if you don't shampoo for a day or two, your hair is much greasier than it ordinarily would have been if you had never began using product in your hair in the first place.

It's much the same way with CPUs. They are built with natural tolerances and an ability to cool themselves. Thermal paste actually creates the need for itself because applying it overheats the computer, but it also cools it from the heat it created due to it's chemical composition. That's why the more you use the hotter and less efficient it is.
>>
Well my autistic side wants me to cover all the ICS so I usually first spread a thin film over the CPU then I put a rice grain of paste in the middle.

But if using round base/smaller than ICS heatsink (like Intel stock) I do that operation on the heatsink base surface instead, so there won't be any exposed paste catching dust.
>>
>>56527734
An inverted crucifix is a rejection of god
>>
On my 2699V3 since it's such a large chip I put 4 dots near each corner and then one in the center.
>>
>>56527535

"X" pattern, about 80% from corner to corner. Nothing else even comes close. Spend 20 minutes on google and watch a couple youtube vids.
>>
>>56527742
retard

never post here again
>>
>>56527777
No, its really not.
The crucifixion itself was a punishment. The inverted cross which St. Peter was subject to is used to symbolize the suffering he endured for his faith. It is 100% a Christian symbol.
As I said, only teenage edge lords think its offensive.
Shame you wasting quads on being a retard.
>>
File: praiseKeK.jpg (48KB, 552x615px) Image search: [Google]
praiseKeK.jpg
48KB, 552x615px
>>56527777
Do you have any idea what you have just done.....
>>
>>56527811
>cares about quads
>calling someone a retard
lmao go back to gaia
>>
Just do either a small line or a pea sized blob in the middle. Anything else will create air pockets which will hurt heat transfer.

Remember, The CPU and cooler are pressed right up against each other. All you're trying to do is fill in microscopic valleys and pits on the surface of the metal, you only need very little.
>>
>>56527820
You would mock your own quads? kek help us all. /g/ truly is hell.
>>
>>56527843
>look what i heard on linus tech tips

You are unequivocally wrong, faggot. Spouting shit that you don't even understand.

Kys.
>>
File: tumblr_nmfaw83HUi1titub2o1_500.png (35KB, 500x402px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmfaw83HUi1titub2o1_500.png
35KB, 500x402px
I use stock cpu fan with pre installed paste
>>
>>56527790
One small line per column of cores would likely work better. Its what I did with my own Xeon, although admittedly I only have 2 columns of 4 cores
>>
>>56527858
Then what's the right way to do it?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
Assuming I'm using a direct touch heat pipe heatsink I cover the base where it sits on the cpu making sure to fill the gaps and sit it on the CPU, tighten it, pull it off, then make sure it touched everything. If it did I just put it back on. This is the best system I find for putting a direct touch on perfectly.

If you just put it on the CPU for heat pipes it'll be imperfect as fuck and not fill the gaps. Also a lot of the time direct touch heatsinks tend to be not as flush as they should be.

If it's the normal older type heat sinks I just put a small blob and put it down then I pull it off to check it went everywhere it should then put it back on.

Remember HDT doesn't work the same way as the old when it comes to thermal paste because it's not the same design ie it's not a flush chunk of metal it has gaps and isn't always as flush as it should be

All that said even if you do just put it on the cpu and shove an HDT heatsink on it's most likely going to be fine but it's not optimal and this is /g/ not "normies putting on the thermal paste using their bare finger"
>>
>>56527862
this
>>
>>56527811
I said inverted crucifix, not inverted cross
>>
>>56527961
Wow, you really are a retard.
>>
I do the pea dot. I reaplied with half today and it got worse temps so I did the line and it was the same. Too lazy to redo my first to yeah.
>>
>>56527858
>one of the only things the faggots got right
>meme it anyways
>>
>>56527535
Put syringe in middle
Squeeze out paste 1/20th the size of the lid
Put even pressure on the hsf when screwing down
Screw in until all screws stop turning with minimal force

As long as you did it right, that small amount will cover the entire cpu. You're just wasting paste doing it any other way.
>>
Why do you need lots of paste for GPU?
I just remembered that I didn't put much on my GPU (just as much as my CPU). It's a R9 280x OC'ed to 1145/1600. Max temp is 74~76C. I'm still alive and my house still hasn't burned down.
>>
>>56528072
Cross of St. Peter is not a crucifix you fucking faggot
>>
>>56527535
1. As long as you have enough, it doesn't matter jack shit

2. Too much is better than too little. Applying generously really does you little harm. (But make sure it's not conductive in case a bit does end up spilling)

Personally, I used to do the dot in the middle but I've since switched to the thin spread method to make sure I have coverage across the entire surface. Surface coverage is far more important than the thickness of hte TIM itself.
>>
File: mpv-shot0001.jpg (235KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0001.jpg
235KB, 1920x1080px
>>56528535
And when I say “too much isn't bad” I litearlly mean it. You can put this much on and it won't hurt your performance. It will just spill over the sides.

That *can* be an issue if it enters the pins of your CPU socket, but even that is pretty hard to accomplish. As long as your TIM is non-conductive, go ham. Nobody will give a shit and it won't hurt performance, but it will cause /g/ memesters to cringe
>>
An X or an X and + overlapped should be enough.
The latter will work better with smaller amounts of the stuff if you are trying to be efficient for whatever reason. (mass producing PCs at home for personal PC building business, or whatever)

All you are doing, in the end, is coating all the micro deformities in the surface of the heatsink since they aren't polished flat most of the time.
Equally filling the air gap you would get because most motherboard designs will only push it so close against the CPU. Admittedly smaller than paper widths, but still significant when it comes to heat transfer.

>>56527770
You are right on the former part.
Same goes with over-cleaning in general.
Asian countries are disgusted at how much us fags in the West clean ourselves.
No wonder we have so many skin diseases and look Asian-80 by the time we are 50.

Cleaning too much removes oils and bacteria on the skin that keep it healthy.
The reason your skin smells is because the cheapest, shittiest running bacteria are the ones that colonise it first, which are the ones that produce smells.
You need to eliminate them from your skin and get "infected" by good bacteria again for it to stop being a problem. A hard thing to do.
In some cases, you get those people that get infested by those smelly bacteria and they end up smelling like cheese all the time. (my friend had this, got fired over it lel)

Dry-cleaning is also a good alternative.
Many people can only do that because they have such severe skin allergies that moisture causes allergic reactions. Fucking literal water allergy. Poor bastards.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.