[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need gaming pc advice. My pc runs perfectly fine, passes stress

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: received_10207077966976760.jpg (39KB, 693x1184px) Image search: [Google]
received_10207077966976760.jpg
39KB, 693x1184px
Need gaming pc advice. My pc runs perfectly fine, passes stress tests and everything. However, when playing games I can only play around 10 mins before my pc completely and instantly shuts down and starts up again. Some games cause this restart immediately upon launch. Doesn't even have to be a demanding game. Any ideas or suggestions about what might be causing this?
>>
I had this problem a while back, I went in and made sure all connectors were seated correctly and made sure I want placing too many devices on single rails from my psu.

Splitting my hard drives onto two rails seemed to fix it.

Could have just been a coincidence and one of the connectors was loose though, not happened since in about 6 months since I messed with it.
Might not be relevant to your problem, but it was a similar kind of problem in that so far into games my PC works just restart without warning
>>
>>56527177
This was my thought. Are you daisy chaining everything off one wire from your PSU. If you get happy with all the extra cables and start splitting off split cables you'll shut down when you draw too much.
>>
Almost definitely your PSU or your motherboard may not support your CPUs wattage
>>
>>56527210
I have ssd on one, two SATA drives on another. Before I had all three on one cable and I assumed i was just overloading the one rail
>>
>>56527299
Since you say games are causing it we need to know:
CPU
GPU
PSU wattage/brand

I'm guessing your stress tests were only taxing the CPU and when you fire up the games you draw too much from the PSU and it trips.

I'm seeing a higher wattage PSU in your future.
>>
CPU: i7-4790k
GPU: GTX 980 Ti
PSU: Thermaltake smart 750w 80plus bronze
>>
>>56527381
Temperatures are good?
>>
>>56527381
Check all your wires. Make sure a loose wire hasn't found its way on to a fan blade. Make sure all your fans are running. Is the CPU fan plugged in to the cpu fan power pins?

Fire it up with the door off. Watch to make sure all the fans are running correctly. Monitor your CPU/GPU core temps while playing a game. Know the proper operating temps for your CPU/GPU.
>>
Temps are good, always running around 50 degrees, almost never even reach 60. Wiring is all good, nothing is loose.

I did notice today that one of the cpu fans on my radiator is struggling to spin at times. Every other fan runs fine, but that one fan struggles from time to time. This is recent because it wasn't like that before.
>>
>>56527485
Replace that fan. Use handbrake to encode some huge video file so it runs your CPU at 100% load for 10min or so. Monitor temps during this. If all goes well I'd start looking at the video card. If you have a spare swap it and do whatever caused it to crash before. If you don't, ask to borrow a friend's. If you don't have friends circle back to us.

Is it all games or just one game?
>>
install gentoo
>>
It's all games, only thing that varies is when it causes the restart.

I already stress tested the cpu, at 100% usage it reached a max temp of 64. Right before the pc restart gpu temp is at 55 at most, other games just insta restart as soon as the game launches (WoW for example). And by restart I mean complete instant shutdown then turns back up.
>>
>>56527009
I take it you have reseated ram and put it in correctly

Disconnect everything you don't need, if you got two ram sticks test each individually.

Might just be something's broke, unlucky
>>
>>56527009
had the exact problem on my old rig with the witcher 3.
Run a stress test to see if temps etc are fine, mine turned out to be an issue with the RAM. Once I removed the dodgy one it ran fine
>>
>>56527571
enable logging of crashes, turn off auto restarting when you do crash.

Control Panel\System and Security\System\advanced system settings\startup and recovery\

tick write an event to the system log
UNtick automatically restart

select kernel memory dump

then down load this
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
and run it and take a look at the files to see if it's something stupid like a cheap webcam driver or bloatware driver causing a crash

pay attention to what you are reading when looking at the dumps, specifically the driver. and if it continues to be the same driver.

could be a bunch of things, but this should help narrow it down to software or hardware

sidenote:windows update KB2670838 is known to cause issues with som dx10 and dx11 games, that is most likely NOT causing your crashing. just a side note
>>
>>56527009
Sounds like overheating
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.