[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Colemak keyboard layout is better than QWERTY. Why are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 3

File: colemak.png (26KB, 500x167px) Image search: [Google]
colemak.png
26KB, 500x167px
The Colemak keyboard layout is better than QWERTY.

Why are you still using QWERTY?
>>
>>56521890
colemak is shit
>>
>>56521890
Too hard to retrain that muscle memory unfortunately. There really isn't a problem with QWERTY in the first place.
>>
Too lazy to rearrange my keyboard.
>>
>>56521935
Looking at your keys is bad, anon. Don't rearrange your keyboard even if you switch your layout.
>>
I'm not, I use Colemak
Feels pretty nice when a game detects your keyboard layout and adjusts the key mapping automatically.
>>
>>56521890
>Why are you still using QWERTY?
I'm already using Colemak
>>
>>56522298
Even better when it doesn't and it doesn't let you remap your shit
>>
Because i barely know qwerty
>>
>>56521958
Nut touch typing causes wrist injury
>>
>>56521890
>QWERTY
QWERTZ pls.
>>
>>56521890
i am not about to relearn the keyboard layout, i been using QWERTY for about 20 years and i am not about to switch to something else, my ancient brain cant handle learning a new keyboard layout, i would die of old age before i get proficient with that
>>
>>56522343
Reached my old QWERTY speed on Colemak in less than two months. Feels great.
>>
>>56523436
As great as having your arms grow back after amputating them 2 months ago?
>>
>>56521890
why are 4 vowels on one hand and only one on the other? what a bs layout
>>
>>56524812
see https://colemak.com/Hand_alternation
>>
>>56523436
Cool. Now when you use a QWERTY anywhere else in the world outside your room, you will either hunt and peck or have an aneurysm.
>>
>>56525017
How often do you use other people's computers? 45wpm while looking at the keyboard should be enough for the few times you have to do that. Normalfags already type at that speed or lower.
>>
too lazy to learn a new layout
>>
Because I have better things to do with my time than sperg about keyboard layouts
>>
I looked into the colemak workmak, but lack of motivation prevented me from learning it.
>>
>>56521890
But I am, anon! And, since my keyboard is plain (ctrl,alt,winkey switched to use emacs better) everyone in the office where I work is afraid to touch it, so it's a win-win
>>
>>56521890

why use anything else, except for uber 1337 AUTISM cred

If i was to go different, I'd go dvorak, but my body knows qwerty, why bother learning something else?
>>
I switch between Colemak and QWERTY every week or so. I think it took me 1 month to get up to full speed in Colemak, about 2 weeks to get QWERTY back to where it was before, and another month or less to learn to switch between them pretty much instantly.

Was it worth it? For me, its a bit borderline. My typing strain problems went away, which was my original goal. But I think I could have accomplished that by just taking more regular breaks as well.
>>
>>56521958
Yeah learn an entirely new layout without looking at it once...
>>
>>56528867
>what is touch typing
>>
>>56528867
Just print out the fucking layout and hang it next to your screen for a week.
>>
>>56528917

a lot harder to begin learning when your keycaps don't match output
>>
>>56528828
>>56521907
>>56522838
the problem with qwerty is the fact that, on a long run, it causes RSI, because the most common used letters are placed badly, and you have to move your fingers in a weird way. Also, why the fuck all of the punctuation symbols are placed under the right pinky? and the "esc" key, for the vim users? CTRL, for the emacs-ers? Face it, our keyboards are the worst possible ones.
>>56525017
At my new job I had to use QWERTZ, but, thanks to linux, I was able to switch it to colemak, like, immediately.
>>
>>56521890
the Dvorak keyboard layout is better than Colemak

Why are you still using Colemak?
>>
I'm using bépo,
it's a dvorak-like for french
>>
>>56521890
Sciencefag here, switched to Dvorak and tricky to learn Colemak because it's QWERTY-like. Ctrl-c and Ctrl-v are a bit of a stretch but I have big hands so it's fine. Still 100x better than QWERTY
>>
I'm using the superior BÉPO, you silly burger.

>>56529070
mon négro
>>
>>56521890
because it doesn't matter what keyboard layout you use. At least not in the real world.

>>56529070
>>56529121
ok
>>
>>56521890
>having to remap WASD in every game
>some games are hardcoded
>>
>>56528977
also, you don't look at keycaps when touchtyping - that's the whole point.
>>
>>56529054
this, Dvorak is the only true masterrace
>>
>>56529191
It certainly matters if I want to write properly.

Œuf, HÉHÉHÉ, Grüß, very hard to type without a proper layout.
>>
>he doesn't use the non-VIP keyboard layouts

http://pastebin.com/dRepVkfu
>>
The majority of people wont be as fast on Colemak, even with 3+ months of practice, sure you might eventually get up to your QWERTY speed, but if you're typing at 110wpm+ already and you're not concerned about strain injury, just keep using QWERTY.
>>
>>56530632
wtf is this shit?
>>
>>56531005
A horrible keyboard layout switcher I initially wrote in 2010 and rewrote just there to add an extra thing in I forgot to in 2011.

It was for SAoVQ in a programming thread.
I will go post it in the new one.
Mind you, I am sure I posted it in the imageboard which no longer exists. Only textboard remains.

tl;dr memes
>>
File: 1473339989242.jpg (65KB, 540x679px) Image search: [Google]
1473339989242.jpg
65KB, 540x679px
>>56521890
Tell me why?
Why should I learn a bew layout when I already know qwerty?
>>
>>56521890
Colemak doesn't improve your programming or speed.
>>
>>56531281
Because you apparently don't know QWERTY much since you made a typo.
>>
Because keyboard layouts are a pointless meme that only make non-writing tasks much harder, like keyboard shortcuts and playing games.

If you want to type faster, buy a better keyboard.
>>
>>56531354
That's why you do a software keyboard replacement that can be toggled, like >>56530632

In that case, I actually made it so that it was entirely global, so all hotkeys were switched.
But it is trivial to disable that.
In fact, it took more effort to make it capture all hotkeys. I just need to remove a segment from a function and all hotkeys remain the same despite the letter keys sending different letters.

Then it would be a case of anchoring the letter replacement to a whitelist so that you can run whatever new keyboard layout you want in only the programs you prefer it, just by process-matching.

I actually wrote another keyboard system that hooked to the PS3 controller. (and a virtual keyboard)
Used it for comfy gaming under covers and still actually being able to talk to people and type shit.
I hid all the non-controller stuff behind select+ another button, since basically nothing uses that, at least nothing I can remember.
I need to look that out some time.
>>
>>56531352
Fat fingers and small phone dont mix, cunt
>>
>>56531434
Get a better keyboard or phone, or stop being a fatty.
>>
>>56529231
Just use alt+shift/win+space to switch between Colemak and QWERTY if the game doesn't detect your layout and doesn't let you remap your keys.

If the game doesn't involve typing, it won't give you problems.

If the game doesn't let you remap anything, and you're slow in QWERTY (normalfag speed, but not gamer speed) then you'll have to type slow in it. An alternative is doing this: Press the chat key, then your shortcut for switching layouts, type what you want to type, then press the shortcuts for switching layouts, then press enter to send. It's less annoying than it sounds, but still annoying.
>>
>>56531354
Your speed will be maybe 3% faster when you switch from a rubber dome to a mechanical keyboard, unless it's severely fucked up.
People switch from regular keyboard to mechanical ones for the same reason that they switch from QWERTY to other layouts: comfort.
>>
>>56521890
I type a lot and have QWERTY memorized. Memorizing a new layout would be a hassle.
>>
Because QWERTY is standard and there's no raisin for me to switch to some obscure layout for a marginal increase in efficiency or comfort
>>
>>56529854
>>Œuf
it certainly does matter to write oeuf properly
>>
>>56533108
Oui, sinon c’est être un bamboula.

Et il n’y a pas que ça; par exemple, l'espace insécable, et les guillemets: «».
>>
>>56533380
Well shit, 4chins removes the non breaking space. Now my beautiful French typography looks like the faggy English one.
>>
Workman is better than Colemak
>>
>>56533380
ey m8 I have guillemets too with my shitty us ansi layout «» and the é you love so fucking much. As I said it literally doesn't matter what layout you're using as long as you can type everything you need to type.
>>
>>56533497
How many weird combinations do you have to do?
Can you type words like ANUS without leaving the home row?
Yeah, I thought so.
>>
>>56521890
But I'm not.
>>
File: 1367904409807.gif (1MB, 736x691px) Image search: [Google]
1367904409807.gif
1MB, 736x691px
dvorak master race
>>
>>56530709
I was typing around 60 - 80 WPM in QWERTY (depending on the test difficulty) and reached it in less than 2 months in Colemak. Probably could've just improved my QWERTY speed in that time but I want to feel comfy. Colemak feels pretty comfy.
>>
>>56533732
Not him, and I can't type ANUS without leaving the home row, but I can type ARSE and SHIT.
>>
>>56533732
How often do you need to type anus?
>>
>>56535258
A few times a day. It's true of most words I type though. That's why a good layout is a pleasure to use.
>>
>>56521890

There are definately advantages to other layouts over qwerty. However, a lot of programs have default hot keys set expecting the user to use qwerty. The gain of switching isn't worth the pain of reconfiguring hotkeys at the actual amount to typing that I do in one day.
>>
>>56536669
Fuck, keys shouldn't be distinguished by associated characters. We should make some universal way of labeling keys. Like, a triplet hand-finger-[key number], where the key number could be either number of keys used with the same finger that are harder to reach or simply number of keys that are physically higher in layout (but this one would be harder to decide when having multiple columns for the same finger).

I'll make the logo.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.