[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What programming languages do you consider mandatory to learn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 10

File: 1442660669050.webm (1MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1442660669050.webm
1MB, 960x540px
What programming languages do you consider mandatory to learn if you're insterested in computers?
>>
node.js
>>
python3 and javascript xd
>>
>>56519144
oh g-d
>>
>>56519126
assembler
>>
>>56519126
C and C++ to understand systems, memory and resource management. PHP or Python or another interpreted / JiT compiled language to understand higher level programming
>>
>>56519126
c/c++ is a good starting place. Learning this kind of syntax will set you up for the c-like family of languages and both will require that you familiarize yourself with underlying computer science topics that higher level languages abstract away.

C++ might be a better first pick because it will allow you to employ a purely object oriented programming paradigm from the get go and will be directly related to OOP you will likely do in other languages if you stick with it.
>>
Javascript
>>
>>56519126
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvWTnIoQZj4
>>
Typescript (JavaScript with typing)
>>
Javascript is p much the future so that's the best pick
>>
If you're truly interested in how a computer actually works I would say learn C and the assembly language for the computer you use to learn.
>>
Just start with Python. There are no mandatory language that you need to learn. It depends on what you need to do but Python if fuck easy to learn so you can start with that.
>>
>>56519126
Visual Basic is the only language anyone will ever need
>>
It's javascript bro
>>
Have you looked at javascript?
>>
My first one was javascript so I suggest you try learning that
>>
Javascript imo
>>
Javascript if you want to be able to do something actually useful.
>>
Everyone is learning javascript nowadays
>>
File: bait.png (57KB, 625x656px)
bait.png
57KB, 625x656px
>>56519250
>>56519144
>>56519303
>>56519357
>>56519387
>>56519408
>>56519438
>>56519474
>interested in computers
>javascript
>>
Don't listen to the haters javascript is great
>>
What are you interested in doing?

javascript is great for both web and desktop application these days
>>
>>56519126
If you're interested in *computers*?? Assembly, C, and also read something like Computer Organization and Design. You can find the pdf.
>>
ASM and C.
>>
If you're interested in COMPUTERS?

Batch, PowerShell, bash, Python, .NET

Simple (scripting) languages that allow you to easily manipulate your computer to do what you want it to do.
>>
>>56519144
>>56519250
>>56519276
>>56519303
>>56519357
>>56519387
>>56519408
>>56519438
>>56519474
>>56519500
>>56519544
>>56519562
only good suggestions in this ITT, everything else is just neckbeard stuff.
>>
>>56519191
Not him, but what do you mean by higher level programming?
>>
>>56519606
>OP asks for languages mandatory for someone "interested in computers"
>not making neckbeard suggestions
You (singular) are almost as bad as the guy who suggested VB.
>>
>>56519633
Higher level just means that it's more advanced. Like if you google javascript then you'll find its a high level language
>>
>>56519668
I can tell that you don't work with computers because you don't know that the field is quite diverse these days, it's no longer just neckbeards (like you).
>>
>>56519633
Not the person who posted the response, but computer languages are considered to occur along a continuum from low level to high level. The closer you are to the real inner-workings of the computer, the lower the level. Higher level programming involves a lot of abstractions that disentangle the act of programming from how computers actually work. Therefore, for someone "interested in computers" a high level language is not a good choice, because you can learn the language without ever really learning anything about computers. A low level language would instead force you to familiarize yourself with the machine. C/++ is a good trade off/middle ground for getting actual work done and working with low(er) level concepts.

As a sidenote, everyone saying javascript is saying so because they know it's a high level language with a tremendous number of quirks. It's ugly, quirky, slow and not well suited to learning much about computers aside from how to program in javascript.
>>
>>56519746
Someone likes to jump to conclusions...

I'm not fundamentally opposed to javascript and understand that CS/IT has become very diverse. Javascript has become pretty good for some things, as have other high level, easy to use/learn languages.

My point stands, though: OP's question was about languages mandatory for someone interested in computers. If your interest is the computer and not how to develop web apps, then javascript is probably not the best first choice. Learning about the computer and learning to program are two separate things, but there is some common ground. A significantly greater amount of common ground occurs in low level languages than it does in higher level languages, like javascript or python. This makes a lower level language a superior tool, and therefore much more "mandatory" than a high level language, given an interest in "computers".
>>
Excel sheets.
VB.
Powershell.

The trick is: Don't get a job as a codemonkey, it's high stress, toxic, overcompetetive place full of autism anyway.

Instead go for some papershifting office job. Then automate the shit out of it with your newfound "programming" superpowers.
>>
>>56519126
An industry language: Java/C#
A scripting/automation language: Python/ruby/perl
JavaScript: JavaScript
Machine language: C, maybe study C++
Building games: C++, C#
Web-dev: Php
Historic purposes: Some lisps, fortran, smalltalk, simula, oberon
ML: Dunno much about ML, Haskell? Caml?
Research: Matlab/python/mathematica/R
Hardcore: An assembly lang

Up-and-coming/underground/hipster: Go, rust, clojure

Anything else?
>>
C to write any program on any platform.
Assembler to understand what a program is doing and possibly hacking other programs to gain benefits such as hooks, selfmade APIs, creating more stuff than the creator did (code caving)
>>
File: waifu-1.png (389KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
waifu-1.png
389KB, 1152x648px
>>56519126
Stay away from my waifu
>>
>>56519126
C
C++
Python
Java
Assembly
Machine
Matlab
Node.js
Php
Swift
C#
Html
Ruby
Ocaml
Haskell
Perl
Lisp
And some terminal commands
>>
>>56519126
C a functional language and an OOP language
>>
File: sabel6.png (140KB, 500x728px)
sabel6.png
140KB, 500x728px
>>56522576
C, C++ and Haskell is all you need desu
>>
>>56522158
>Assembly

All of it? Alpha, sparc, 29k, xtensa, sh4... Man, modern workplace requirements are steep.
>>
File: 308.png (280KB, 664x602px)
308.png
280KB, 664x602px
C
C#, Java or C++
Python or Perl
Any server side language (eg. PHP)
Any client side language (eg. js)

Notable markup language: HTML, LaTeX
>>
C
>>
>>56519126
Lisp
>>
>>56519126
Common Lisp and Racket
>>
>>56519126
Can I have the source for this please?
>>
>>56519126
C if you want to understand computers/ memory shit, after that it really depends on what you want to do with it.
Learning C as my first language was the best decision I've ever made.
>>
>>56519126
Scheme and C.
>>
>>56525175

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bJDWHNrUHg
>>
>>56522659
Sauce anon? I've read it before but I don't remember the name.
>>
>>56525302
http://g.e-hentai.org/g/530967/bcf30b7e30/
>>
Fortran
>>
>>56525368
Thanks anon
>>
>>56519126
C. Learning about things in C taught me a lot about how to computer.
>>
english
>>
If you really want to understand how everything low-level kind of works, I would recommend C. Learn it from the book: 'The C Programming Language 2nd Edition'
If you are more interested in doing the science in computer science I would recommend you 'Structure And Interpretation of Computer Programs' but this is a hard and long book to go trough. You will learn a programming language called Lisp.
>>
>>56519126
INTERCAL or C+=
>>
File: 1454907903461.png (638KB, 4760x4986px)
1454907903461.png
638KB, 4760x4986px
>>56519126
The ones that pay good money, the rest is irrelevant trash.

Garbage like C/C++ is legacy shit, most of the jobs requiring the knowledge of them is uninteresting legacy trash written in the 90s paying a fraction of the money you could get writing in high-paying languages.
>>
As long as it's Turing complete, who gives a shit?
>>
>>56519126
>interested in computers
VHDL/Verilog
>>
>>56527668
>how to be jobless for the rest of your life in these two easy step
>>
File: 1cf1422.jpg (50KB, 500x393px)
1cf1422.jpg
50KB, 500x393px
>>56527607
>>56527671

There are jobs other than programming
There are jobs more lucrative than programming
There are jobs more enjoyable than programming
There are jobs that offer more opportunities for advancing or changing your career than programming
There are jobs that have all of the previous characteristics

Employability literally does not fucking matter in programming

>but anon i am an autistic piece of shit
have you considered suicide you worthless fuck

the other autists would be happy since you wouldn't be making fucking bloated enterprise garbage all day
>>
>>56527671
>jobless
bullshit, its fucking requirment for any hardware design engineer position.
>>
>>56527627
Some people don't have literally infinite time and memory.
>>
>>56527671
t. code monkey
>>
>>56527697
>Employability literally does not fucking matter in programming
It does, some people are not cut out for other jobs, so they write code, but the most important thing here is that the IT industry is a free market and nobody is going to care about your intricate knowledge of C or Verilog if the company has a deadline to ship the product in a day, you won't be writing it in C, you'll be writing it in a modern language with modern tools, which all autists consider bloated, but their opinion doesn't matter, because for using this bloat you get paid, autists can stay jobless for the rest of their life discussing their verilog.
>>56527729
t. NEET.
>>
>>56527752
>It does, some people are not cut out for other jobs, so they write code
so
>but anon i am an autistic piece of shit
so
>have you considered suicide you worthless fuck

Actually, you could probably make as much or more money on a unionized fucking assembly line. That sort of job carries the same value to society as a corporate programmer.
>>
>>56527778
>value
I don't care if my code creates value, I just like writing it and getting paid for it. It's also fun ripping off the customers who know fuck all about programming and how shit gets done.
>>
>>56527799
So

>i am an autist with a singular interest
>since i am an autist i have zero empathy and retain childish schadenfreude as an important source of enjoyment

You might want to just consider suicide
Or stop going on imageboards and flipping the fuck out when a person whose self-inflcted death who would actually mean shit programs as a hobby. Same effect from our point of view, really, we wouldn't notice the difference between you dying and you shutting the fuck up.
>>
>>56527818
My other interests involve non-programming areas like expensive cars, watches, real estate etc, so pretty much all expensive things bought with money I ripped people for using the technology some autist like you wrote.
>we wouldn't notice the difference between you dying and you shutting the fuck up.
Ah, the good old autistic rage.
>>
>>56527671
Verilog is used in industry, you memester.
>>
>>56527861
In the industry of autists.
>>
>>56527856
>This nigga literally turned around from not being "cut out" for non-autist to calling other people autists for bullying him
>still doesn't realize how dumb he is for telling other people to base their decisions around his life situation (literally autism or just mild retardation mimicing autism, i minored in psychology for fun, autists wouldn't get this)
>>
My first one was JavaScript, however it didn't teach me shit about how computers work, just got me interested in them after I learned how to make an interactive light bulb. So I switched to C a few years later, since you can do both low and high level shit with it.
>>
>>56527882
Those autists are responsible for designing the fucking hardware you're using dumbass.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/verilog-jobs
>>
>>56527882
>http://jobview.monster.com/fpga-engineer-ii-job-seattle-wa-us-170001568.aspx?mescoid=1700170001001&jobPosition=1

Looks like you're right.
>>
>>56527893
>telling other people to base their decisions around his life situation
There's no life situation, writing code and not getting paid to do it is useless.
>>56527901
>Those autists are responsible for designing the fucking hardware you're using
I just said that I don't give two shits about it, just like I don't give two shit if some poor chink fuck assembled my smartphone or some autistic fuck designed the engine in my car. I'll still keep using your work in order to get big bucks and there's literally nothing you can do to stop me.
>>
>>56519126
C to understand the basics of computation, then C++ to get a grasp of OOP without being held by hand too much, then Java/C# to get proper GC OOP experience and then you can move on to whatever you want because you understand the most important principles in programming and can tackle just about anything

I wouldn't bother with functional programming, it's a meme conjured up by mathfags who can't into anything but math
>>
>>56527933
>Telling a general purpose information processor what to do and not getting paid to do it is useless

Unless you have something you want the computer to do that does not necessarily align with any open job within a few hundred miles.

That's like saying carving wood and not getting paid to do it is useless. What if you want to make your own chair because pre-made ones don't satisfy you?

You literally have autism man. A major symptom is a fundamental inability to understand the wants, needs, and motivations of other people.

I wonder if you've learned to deal with the nonstop hate directed towards your defective social functions yet, or if you're tearing up inside because you're a fucking freak even by 4chan standards (noithin personnel)
>>
>>56527933
Nobody gives two shits about how much money you pretend to make. You're a retard who thinks there's no industry for hardware descriptive languages when there clearly is, and it pays well.

Fuck off and kys.
>>
>>56527994
>it pays well
It does not, the only area that pays 6 figures+ is enterprise which uses high level languages.
>That's like saying carving wood and not getting paid to do it is useless.
But it is.
>>
>>56528018
i guess if you're mentally retarded

>get paid to make something for something else
>turn around and use that money to buy the same thing you just made at a profit for your employer, so your time is not actually worth the price of the final product, and you're losing time and money doing this

So just make your own if you can

or maybe do it for fun

>inb4 fun is useless because i have autism and how can anyone like anything but organizing their hothweels
>>
>>56519126
If OP actually wants into compooters.

Learn how to use Linux. It doesn't matter what distro, what DE or WM, or what text editor, just learn the basics of working in a Linux shell.

Learn Python and get a feel for programming. Fuck around, make small programs, anything to help you get familiar with programming.

Learn C, it will help you understand lower level programming and importantly is a stepping stone to C++. C++ is much more widely used but jumping straight to it is not a very good idea for a novice.

Do SICP & CLRS Algorithms if you want to actually learn comp sci, as in the science of creating good and efficient procedures and algorithms. You will be a better programmer regardless of language.
>>
>>56528041
>linux shell

*non-portable bastardized UNIX shell made by gnu/amateurs

enjoy your non-transferable knowledge

learning "linux" is like learning to drive a semi before learning to drive a car

>hey, where's the second clutch
>that's not where first gear is
>i don't have enough mirrors for this shit
>>
>>> Assembly <<<
>>
>>56528038
It is useless, if you decide to work more and study more in order to get paid only half of what you could've been paid if you weren't so autistic, then you can do it, but it's autistic.
>>
>>56528018
>6 figures+ is enterprise which uses high level languages

You're right about this, design engineer jobs require other languages on top verilog.
>>
>>56528074
If you can't spare a single moment of leisure if you want to achieve a decent level of success, you have some efficiency issues probably related to some form of mental retardation.

Also if you're trying to use autistic as a generic 4chan "lolitsbad" buzzword when it's being used to refer to the actual disorder where someone is socially retarded, then you might be autistic because you can't pick up on really simple shit.
>>
>>56528088
>If you can't spare a single moment of leisure if you want to achieve a decent level of success
Success can be easily achieved without knowing a bunch of useless shit like verilog.
>>
>>56519144
This if you want a job nowadays
>>
File: 1394.jpg (29KB, 446x357px) Image search: [Google]
1394.jpg
29KB, 446x357px
>>56528112
Success can be easily achieved without knowing a bunch of useless shit like programming.
>>
>>56528112
Success can easily be achieved while having a lot of useless fun if you have a mind that operates at more than a snail's pace and a memory good enough to cover more than one specialty.

yes, that's right, successful people can have hobbies. people who are more successful than you!

but you're an autist and your broken ass brain would shut the fuck down if you even took up golfing
>>
>>56528120
or you could learn another langauge and get a better job that has nothing to do with programming
>>
>>56519126
If you're interested in computers and not programming, then mainly C and some assembly.

If you're interesting programming then Python/Ruby/JS, and Haskell/OCaml.
>>
>>56519126
C and assembler.
Everything else can be substituted.
>>
>>56519126
C, scheme and bash
>>
>>56519126
Your own, a.k.a. create yourself one.
>>
>>56519191
>Php
Kys
>>
>>56519126
All of them, including machine language-binary code
>>
>>56519126
C.
JavaScript.
Python.
Java (maybe)
>>
C# is good for babbys first language, from there anyone can go whichever direction they please since they will then have the concept of programming learned
>>
>>56519126
BASIC and Forth and assembly.
>>
Python3, C++, Unix 80x86 Assembly
>>
In all honesty, C and Javascript. The former is necessary for understanding a large amount of our infrastructure (most language interpreters, web servers, crypto libraries, etc... are written in C), and the latter is necessary for understanding an increasing amount of modern code, given the regular use of the web as an application platform.
>>
>>56528882
>80x86
dead architecture
>>
>>56519929
Quite hard to found this type of jobs these days.
>>
>>56528154
I've already said if a person has inclination for programming and not much else, there really is no choice.
>>
>>56528041
>Learn C, it will help you understand lower level programming
No, it won't at all.
C is a high level language.
>>
>>56529715
>C
>High level
dude you do realise that when people say high level languages we mean interpreted languages, high level code today refers to stuff like node.js
>>
>>56529737
This is /g/, why should we care about people not knowing shit about technology-related terminology?
C is a high level language by design.
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.