[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone please explain all the hubbub about systemd to someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

Can someone please explain all the hubbub about systemd to someone who knows nothing about the technical side of operating systems?
>>
>>56492451
It is the cancer that is killing Loonix.
>>
systemd risks making Linux more accessible to the normies, those who use but don't contribute and whose inane questions would clog coding hubs. This would destroy any chance of progress on Linux.
>>
Linuxcucks proudly proclaim how making their OS less like Linux and more like Windows makes it even better than that shit-tier Windows.

vs

Linux fans angrily arguing that making Linux more like shit-tier Windows simply makes Linux shit-tier also.

BSD fans sit off to the side laughing their asses off, except for occasionally when a linuxcuck comes over to troll in the forlorn hope that slagging shit will stop the Linux fans from abandoning systemd/linux for sane superior BSD.
>>
>>56492743
>superior BSD
>even the email is literally homosexual
>>
It allows more flexible process management, and neckbeards oppose it because >muh unix philosophy. But GNU's not Unix, amirite?
>>
goes against unix way, getting too big and powerful, enemy of freedom, has broken many things in its updates, led by a madman

just recently in the last month or two, many of my machines started suspending while their lids were closed and they were plugged into ac power.. this went against my power settings, which used to always be respected, but were trumped by new systemd settings. I had to edit a systemd config to 'ignore' instead of 'sleep' when closing the lid, and now it doesn't seem to suspend on battery either, so I have to manually run
systemctl suspend
after unplugging my ThinkPad.
>>
File: linus-torvalds-1-580x358.jpg (46KB, 580x358px) Image search: [Google]
linus-torvalds-1-580x358.jpg
46KB, 580x358px
>>56492800
>But GNU's not Unix, amirite?
This is a Linux thread, who said anything about GNU?
>>
File: 1473268896716.png (68KB, 350x465px) Image search: [Google]
1473268896716.png
68KB, 350x465px
>>56492871
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
It makes Linux more powerful, easier to use, and more accessible.

Basically all things that would stop tech-illiterate neckbeards from proudly using it while deluding themselves they're using the superior option, since it would make it into an actually viable OS choice, instead of being the "I'm so speshul" option.
>>
>>56492451
Simplified and as far as I (Linux hobbyist) understand it:
Old Linux (Unix) style of applications is one small program for one task, to keep things small(diskspace was expensive at the time) and simple(easy to mantain).

systemd is an init system, takes care of managing of processes during boot/shutdown.
Old init systems were giving various issues, slowdowns during boot or even blocking, technically difficult issues.

systemd was made to improve boot times and resolve blocking issues, which it does!

However, systemd has grown into a very complex system, managing not only init system tasks but much much more.

This complexity and large scale taking over of functions goes against the good old Linux spirit of things, upsetting many people.

Further reading:
Old init script maintainer at Arch about commenting systemd:
https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/4lzxs3/why_did_archlinux_embrace_systemd/d3rhxlc
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.