[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it illegal to program and create malware? I mean really dangerous

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Malware.png (246KB, 2000x1946px) Image search: [Google]
Malware.png
246KB, 2000x1946px
Is it illegal to program and create malware? I mean really dangerous stuff, like rootkits, even cyberweapons 'capable' of destroying real world public/private infrastructures. I want to know if it's legal to make it not if it's illegal to actually use it and cause damage.
>>
just state its for "educational purposes only"
>>
>>56486529
If you're just messing around with stuff on your own then it's fine. Only when you use it for malicious activity does it become illegal.
>>
>>56486571
Like torrents? How the protocol is legit, but it's up to how you as an individual decides to use it?
>>
>>56486623
If you're not impacting anyone else it's fine. Just look at the blackhat conference. It's made up of people who spend months trying to break into software/hardware. It's legal because they are only doing it to showcase what they found. Using it in the real world would cost you a lot though.
>>
File: 1471881733158.png (103KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
1471881733158.png
103KB, 785x757px
>>56486529
>implying you have the capabilities to do it even if you tried
>>
>>56486721
>implying implications
>>
If you have to ask...

Either way, you can always claim it's just for ethical hacking or educational purposes only.

The second you put it on another computer with the intent to harm their computer, though, you've broken the law.
>>
>>56486529
You can program whatever you want as long as you don't distribute it. There's lots of "academic" malware in existence.
>>
>>56486539
This.

:3
>>
>>56486539
Doesn't work. Look at previous cases. The difference between writing malware and distributing malware is completely up to the, probably technologically inept, judge. You are not safe by doing that.
>>
as long as there's no evidence you intend to use it maliciously and you take precautions to avoid it being abused (it doesn't "accidentally" get uploaded to a forum), then you're fine.

this is how we have people legally researching malware, hacking, etc
>>
>>56486529
What if i coded it and it spread via something out of my control? Like, say i hada virus to keylog my own emails or some shit, and it sent itself? Or if i connected a device and it spread to it?
>>
It's legal until you piss off the powers that be.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.