[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

INSTALL GENTOO, its easier than ever, freedom 100% bless your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: gentoo-logo.jpg (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo-logo.jpg
19KB, 400x400px
INSTALL GENTOO, its easier than ever, freedom 100% bless your PC! NOW! GENTOOO!!!! JUST FUCKIN INSTALL IT YOU FAGGOT!
>>
>>56477076
This is a consumer review and tech support board. Why are you talking about something other than an iPhone?
>>
>>56477076
Nah, i will install the best FOSS called Ubuntu Lainux :DD
>>
>>56477076
This isn't about the iPhone™ or Windows™ 10™.

What's going on?
>>
>>56477743
Yeah man, OP will never fit in among the cool gamers and gadget geeks of /g/ if he's talking about nerd stuff like gentoo.
>>
>>56477076
Please share a video tutorials for normies.
>>
File: computer-geek-girl-mobile-12346.jpg (226KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
computer-geek-girl-mobile-12346.jpg
226KB, 800x1280px
>>56477909
>"fitting in" being a thing when the majority of /g/ were never able to fit in
Install gentoo
>>
>>56477076
Why should I switch from Arch to Gentoo? I would lose the comfort of the AUR right? What's so nice about setting your own compile flags?
>>
>>56477076
It's not free software and Stallman speaks out against it WHEN WILL THIS MEME DIE
>>
>>56480776
>>56479542

Even if gentoo authorize non free software the manual that it gives forms you to install scracth by scratch (not has advanced has lfs) but you'll know when you are enough experienced with the thing that you don't need non free binaries.

Choose your sword
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
>>
>>56477076
Considered harmful

Less harmful alternatives are openBSD and freeBSD.
>>
>>56481679
>Using software is harmful
>Less harmful options are stopping to use software and become a caveman
>>
>>56477076
i got to where it started compiling a bunch of shit and quit at that point, it's not 1996 anymore, i'll let the dorks compile shit for me
>>
>>56481679
Stop!
FreeBSD is vulnerable by default use OpenBSD
>>
>>56482266
openbsd with twm and xcalc are all anyone needs
>>
>>56482266
>>
Installing gentoo is piss easy for anybody who's not illiterate and who's able to follow basic instructions.
>>56479542
Someone already made one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkKElaYBNFY
>>56480776
Stallman is a jewish autistic manchild.
>>
no thanks I don't want to waste hours of my life compiling shit for a 3% performance increase
>>
>>56477076
If I compile Gentoo, then later upgrade my CPU/MOBO (as I might this Fall), do I have to reinstall the whole OS?
>>
>>56482704
Of course not, you only need to make sure that your kernel config will support your new hardware, or you can use an inclusive one like the liquorix config that will work with anything. You might not want to initially use march=native in make.conf but you can change that at any time anyway.
>>
>>56480612
You'll get double comfortable than AUR, being able to select the version you want and compile only against what you need. Moreover ebuilds in postage tree aren't written by some casual idiot seeing Bash scripting for the first time in his life.
>>
>>56482419
Atleast OpenBSD is audited from kernel to base, can't say that about anything else really
>>
>>56483143
So let's say I'm on an Intel Core 2 Quad right now, and I upgrade to a Kaby Lake this Fall, and I *do* want to take advantage of the latest and greatest instructions in the architecture.

Does your Gentoo kernel constantly recompile itself with the settings you specify every time it updates... without you having to reinstall or turn off the machine?

I've never used Gentoo and don't really know how it works.
>>
>>56477076
>he uses gentoo when debian exists
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.