[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't you using the perfect distro? https://rootco

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 4

File: tumbleweed1.png (19KB, 640x384px) Image search: [Google]
tumbleweed1.png
19KB, 640x384px
Why aren't you using the perfect distro?
https://rootco.de/2016-03-28-why-use-tumbleweed/
>>
>>56457616
Because there's no such thing you stupid clickbait piece of shit.
>>
Because opensuse is a festering pile of dogshit. Nice bootloader though.

Apt is the only decent package manager.
>>
>>56457662
Well, it's as close as it gets. Newest packages while being stable, what else do you need?
>>
>>56457745
Portage > Other package managers, including zypper > 50ft pile of steaming horse shit > APT

Let that sink in full well.
>>
>>56457745
>Nice bootloader though
OpenSUSE uses grub, nothing special there
>Apt is the only decent package manager. is the only decent package manager.
APT is the shittiest package manager I have ever used in my life.

0/10 typical dumb debibabby
>>
>>56457792
>tfw no Portage for Ubuntu
>>
>>56458325
that's... that's a happy face right?
>>
>>56457616
I already dislike it due to the hipsterish/nu-male logo and the fact you're paid shilling on here, so it's not looking good so far.

What makes it perfect?
>>
>>56458361
Logo is fine.

I posted this because I like the distro.

It's perfect because it's stable and rolling release at the same time.
>>
>>56458473
Okay, so just like Gentoo or Sorceror then?
>>
>>56458504
Have never heard about Sorcerer. And sorry, but most people wouldn't want to wait an hour to compile firefox. Also Gentoo is not stable.
>>
>>56457836
>APT is the shittiest package manager I have ever used in my life.
I dunno pacman is pretty bad
>>
>>56458571
Gentoo arch is about as stable as you're going to get for a frequently updated rolling release, and there are binaries for programs like Furryfox.
>>
>>56457616
The perfect distro is your favorite Debian branch or derivative
>>
>>56457616
I like ubuntu mate, m8.
>>
i use the best distribution, windows 7 SP1 =]
>>
>>56457616
I really like it. But while the dark times of suse, I switched to lmde2. Also rolling release, based on Debian and easy to use. Only thing I miss is YaST.
>>
>>56457745
>package manager
>>56457792
>package manager
>>56457836
>the shittiest package manager
>>56458641
>pacman is pretty bad

how do you guys rank package managers? what makes one better than the other in your eyes?

i'm an incompetent fuckface who moved from windows to manjaro and i really enjoy just using yaourt/pacman to install shit but i don't really get what makes this particular package manager 'bad' , and likewise i wouldn't know what defending points would constitute as 'good'
>>
I'm thinking of switching from Arch to OpenSUSE on my laptop, i'm just too lazy to do it. Does OpenSUSE have an install from scratch option, like in arch where your system basically comes with 50 or so core packages (if you pacstrap, otherwise 0 I guess...) and you need to do the rest. Not really fond on installing a bunch of shit, but I also want the OpenSUSE experience with YaST and stuff
>>
>>56459208
Pacman had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the world of signing packages, it has no delta updates, no autoremove minus -Rsc which is tricky to use and sucks
>>
>>56459316
shit like that makes me hate arch, but I still like pacman because it's really simple and easy to understand, apt is a clusterfuck, dnf is alright and from what i've read zypper is based.
>>
>>56459316
It does have delta updates you fucking mongoloid. There's only one server serving them however because no one fucking cares. If you're dealing with updating a lot of computers at once where it's a problem you don't use delta updates, you just host your own cache.
>>
Pacman is pretty awesome; it was always good, but the naysayers were always whining about it not having signed packages, but otherwise was great. Then they added signed packages and everyone STILL complains. Pacman should be the standard package manager on every distro that isn't using Portage if you ask me.
>>
>>56459369
>Pacman should be the standard package manager on every distro that isn't using Portage if you ask me.
There is literally no reason to use pacman over portage.

Inb4 MUH BINARIES.

FEATURES="getbinpkg'

Nigger.
>>
>>56459369
>should be the standard package manager on every distro that isn't using Portage if you ask me

could you possibly tell me in laymans terms what portage does that other package managers dont?
>>
>>56458504
>>56458571
Gentoo is not rolling and yes it is stable.
>>
>>56458325
what's the need. Soon we will all be using snapper
>>
>>56457616
They still haven't figured out how to roll proprietary drivers.

Also they don't have a simple build system like the one Arch Linux or Void Linux use.
>>
>>56459429
>could you possibly tell me in laymans terms what portage does that other package managers dont?
Best conf files. Best modularity. Best features. Builds from source. Sandbox. Resolves dependencies fast. Eventually will be able to sandbox programs with firejail through a USE flag: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=571558
>>
>>56459438
Gentoo is almost the definition of "rolling".
>>
>>56459458
No proprietary drivers? That's a dealbreaker. I don't plan on using Linux again until I can install Nvidia drivers and Wayland and never have to see X.org on my system again. The wait continues.
>>
>>56459469
>Builds from source
Is this a good thing for the average user? wouldn't that just add compute time/resources to a basic update/install?
>>
>>56459438
>Gentoo is not rolling and yes it is stable.
It IS rolling, but it is stable, if you want it to be.
>>
>>56459475
yeah but you have to do it all yourself. Tumbleweed is using rpm and is much more reliable. Have you ever seen the Build tool of openSUSE?
>>
>>56458641
pacman can remove gnome
>>
>>56459486
Most things will compile in under a minute even on a computer that is a few years old. It's only larger programs such as the web browser that takes time but even then you can just do the compiling in the background or when you're not using your computer.
>>
>>56459486
>Is this a good thing for the average user? wouldn't that just add compute time/resources to a basic update/install?
It would, but it might save on space, and it is always a good way to reduce bloat. Furthermore, Portage's EPATCH makes it trivial to add a patch at compile time. You get tiny performance boosts out of it, but other than that, you're right.

On the other hand, binaries tend to be quite big, whereas the source tends to be quite a bit smaller, so you tend to save on internet speed. Occasionally.
>>
>>56457745
>Nice bootloader though.
>Apt is the only decent package manager.
wow debbabbies are trying hard to fit in
>>
>>56459483
he is just shilling check the documentation .there are plenty
>>
>>56459515
>internet speed
I meant bandwidth.
>>
>>56459483
They have the drivers, you just have to fuck your shit up forwards and backwards every update and rely on a third party package :^)

I really hope we get a tiling window manager that supports Nvidia's EGLStreams. I'm dealing with X.org but it's a constant misconfiguration fuckfest.
>>
>>56459491
>Have you ever seen the Build tool of openSUSE?
Explain?
>>
>>56459551
every package that is submited goes though check to verify if it is all-right . All this happens automatically. Even fuckin fedora and ubuntu uses it. Visit https://build.opensuse.org/
>>
>>56459515
>whereas the source tends to be quite a bit smaller
Really? I thought it was the opposite, as in the source is only sometimes smaller than the binary, look at the source code for Chromium or Firefox or Android or Linux, much bigger than any binary of them.
>>
>>56459489
You're right my mistake.
>>
>>56459314
Yes. You can build your own ISO from SUSE Studio, and pick the bare minimum system and start from it.
>>
Interesting article. I am more used to traditional distros, and how unstable rolling release distros can be; that's why I am still on OpenSUSE Leap. I am going to give it a try.
>>
>>56459358
>>>56459316
>shit like that makes me hate arch, but I still like pacman because it's really simple and easy to understand, apt is a clusterfuck, dnf is alright and from what i've read zypper is based.
What about it makes you hate Arch?
Arch has never been at the top of protecting everyone, including the users.
It is, as far as I know at the top of simple.

It would be like saying you really hate Ubuntu because their base installs are bloated.
>>
>>56457616
>font rendering broken on web sites

no thanks
>>
>>56457616
debian master race reporting in
>>
>>56457616
Because I'm using Leap
>>
>>56461329
Now get out
>>
>>56457616
I did, but the search function was broken :/ switched to leap instead
>>
>>56457616
>perfect
>linux
>not gentoo
I'm afraid there has been some kind of mistake.

Portage, Use flags, eBuilds, the tightest hardware performance. No compromise except a few onetime compile time sinks which are blown way out of proportion by newfags who read about a stage 1 build from a decade ago and don't know how much faster things go now.
>>
>>56457616
Get this tumblr shit out of here
>>
>>56459316
-Rs should be enough
That and
 pacman -Qdtq | sudo pacman -Rs -
to get rid of orphans
and desu I don't know what else you want.
>>
>>56462654
>
 pacman -Qdtq | sudo pacman -Rs -

Thanks I didn't know about that. Just cleared out 121 packages
>>
But I am using Tumbleweed. It's fine, the tools and the testing that happens are nice and yast is pretty decent. As far as rolling releases go it's stable and the install is easy and it just werks (tm).
The toolset is nice but beyond that and the stability it doesn't really stand out to the user in any way.
>>
>>56457616
But I AM using Xubuntu OP.
>>
>>56462695
Alternatively,
#pacman -Rns $(pacman -Qqdt)
>>
>>56462718
The last sentence sounds like a way to avoid accepting OpenSUSE is perfect.
>>
>>56463297
Short of the toolset and the testing, not much really differentiates it from any other KDE distro.
There is zypper, but that isn't a lot.
I do like it and would install on more computers probably, just saying that it's not for everyone.
Although there is a really nice software selection for suse.
>>
>>56463324
>Short of the toolset
What the fuck is Yast, then? There is nothing like it on any other Distro. It even works without graphical interface, it's modular, removes the need to edit files, and allows you to migrate and clone entire systems and configurations.
>>
>>56463358
Yast is basically god tier I'd say.
I'd say I can't think of anyone who'd have Yast be all the reason they need to use Suse, but well, I started using it due to Yast.
At the same time, I've never found suse to need a lot of janitoring, so even though yast is godly I rarely use it, and I know how weird I am, so it's reasonable to guess that most just won't care *that* much about Yast.
>>
>>56462519
If you completely forget all the stupid memes and approach it dispassionately and objectively, Gentoo is probably the best distro still running. I find it painful to leave the level of control it gives you.
>>
why is apt bad you fucking autists

give me lists of what you don't like
>>
>>56457616
>https://www.opensuse.org/
> website lacks all professional design and content

Discarded.

I was a huge S.u.S.E. fan back in the day, but that website is cancer. Impossible to navigate to any useful information, every fucking thing on every fucking page is animated zips boings bounces and giggles .... and still no links to be found anywhere that describe the actual distro and it's functions/features.

I'd happily take the entire website design team into the deepest desert of Syria and pay ISIS to torture them all to death slowly.

And that is the experience I expect should I ever contaminate any of my systems with an opensuse distro. A kindergarten of retarded uselessness. I've rarely ever seen such monumental faggotry.

But wait ... there's a more or less completely dead forum for "community" comfiness .....

Suse is dead. It was killed by terminal, cancerous faggotry.
>>
>>56464587
>memeplate website design

holy die
>>
>>56457616
but I do.
>>
>>56464473
I'll bite

>Slower at building packages
>Slower at synchronizing repos
>Awkward commands, hard to memorize
>Package management tasks split between apt dgkg and aptitude

Apt also seems to suffer the worst from dependency conflicts, but that's the package maintainer's fault.
>>
>>56464785
I have all the commands memorized but I guess that's cuz I've used it for over 10 years

>slower
yea, what's faster with debian based?

apt == aptitude for.. like at least 5 years. you can use one or the other, you don't need to switch between them

dpkg though yea, I see a lot of .deb stuff still that only has a .deb download, and doesn't claim to work on any other linux...
>>
>>56464809

Apt is the only package manager for debian, but dnf zypp and pacman are all faster on their native distros. And deb files can be repackaged to any other package type easily.
>>
>>56464872
good to know
I've always had much better results on debian servers when I run a couple hundred around the world.. it seems a lot of big people do too, because raspberry pi, etc are all based on it.

why don't you faggots make a better package manager? I'll use it.
what is so hard for implementing pacman or something on debian?
>>
>>56464587
>dat website

It's the current Sep 2016 and still © 2015 SUSE LLC. All Rights Reserved.

I can't even figure out what that website does, or what it's supposed to do. That's some weapons grade retarded right there, folks.

These guys are in charge of developing a linux distro? Looks like Win10 and OSX had a Zika baby, then dropped it down the stairs and let a pit bull use it for a chew toy.
>>
>>56464893
Well the problem is debian supports a fuckton of different platforms (sparc arm x86 PowerPC MIPS etc) with different kernels (Linux bsd Hurd). Apt accounts for all these, pacman works on x86 and arm. It's simpler therefore faster.
>>
File: standards.png (24KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
standards.png
24KB, 500x283px
cool, more fragmentation of the linux community.

excuse the xkcd, but this is exactly what's happening and one of the reasons desktop linux doesn't catch on with normalfags. all these distros are confusing for normal people.

i wish there was only a choice between arch, red hat, mint, gentoo and lfs. no one needs these special snowflake distros
>>
>shitty website
>shitty OS
Get fucked.

Btw proprietary drivers on tumbleweed are possible, just add bumblebee repo and dkms will do the rest every time kernel updates.
Tumbleweed had ~1800 packages updated yesterday, it's fresh and personally I had a smooth sail ever since I installed it. Not OP btw.
>>
Arch is good for me, because I like pacman.
>>
I'm running Tumbleweed, but I regret not going for the stable version. Rolling release distros, they do suck.
>>
>>56464587
All the neccesary information is in the wiki which the site links to.
>>
>>56464973
>arch and gentoo
>not special snowflake distros

Naive child.
>>
I am using it and it's lovely ... BUT .. how the fuck do you disable the system bell?! https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Disabling_the_system_bell did that and it's still there. Disabled through ALSA, still beeping ... kill me.
>>
>>56465183
rofl this
>>
File: 1451270512040.jpg (54KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1451270512040.jpg
54KB, 500x500px
>>56458811
>memetu m8
Took awhile to find this post in a thread like this sadly. I come to /g/ to be entertained by these types of posts. When did it all go wrong?
>>
>>56457616
I am currently comfortable on Ubuntu 16.04 with KDE 5, am considering OpenSUSE Tumbleweed though.

Am curious how RX480 is supported, if Steam will install/work.

Have Windows 10 installed on a different SSD, how does OpenSUSE coop with multiple OSes?

I'll find some time to make an image of my SSD (it's only 128GB) and install Tumbleweed.
>>
YasT is fucking retarded. you have duplicate entries in your settings for the same thing and you have no clue which option actually works and is actually maintainted.

I do like the KDE tho
>>
>>56465669
RX480 will work better because of the newest kernel and therefore newer driver. With other OSes it works the same way every other distro with grub does - good enough. You can even configure grub through yast.
>>
>>56465234
Configure Desktop > Accessibility > untick Use System Bell
?
>>
>>56457616
Any GNU/Linux distro that splits packages and splits even further in to -dev packages belongs in the trash as far as I care.
>>
>>56459208
You're assuming people on /g/ have valid logic and reasoning for their statements, you're forgetting that they're just a bunch of drooling autistic basement dwellers who see their choice of distro, and therefor package manager, as an extention of their personality. It's best to ignore retards and simply use what you like best.
>>
>>56467296
/g/ BTFO
>>
They can't even package desktop icons for QT Creator
>>
>>56460731
>It is, as far as I know at the top of simple.

Except it isn't simple at all. It's like the distro is almost designed solely for ricer toy boxes.
>>
>>56467215
What are you even blabbering about
>>
>>56462735
Which is more technically proper? Unix piping or accessing a stored value in bash?
>>
>>56466807
this works on GNOME, not XFCE ...
>>
>>56457616
Because Tumbleweed is a huge pile of unstable garbage.
The stable branch was always damn good though.
How does Leap hold up? Haven't tried it yet.
>>
>>56457792
>Portage
>not Paludis

pls
>>
Windows is fine for me, but thanks for the suggestion anon
>>
>>56459208
Valid question. Looking for an answer to this as well although this sludgefest of inbred tards is unlikely to come up with a decent one...
>>
>google it
>4.7 gig install image
hahahaha nice one lad
>>
>>56463453
Yep. Just getting a taste of what gentoo can do makes everything else feel restrictive and proscribed.
>>
>>56469210
This
>>
>>56465183
Give it a rest debqueen. If popularity contests decided utility RHEL and CentOS would be all that there was. Debuntu is gaining ground, but it's still way behind on big government and corporate uptake.
>>
>>56469397
AWS is based on buntu, corporate is going to the Deb side. Governments will stick with RHEL though because inertia and the Intel folks have more influence at redhat.
>>
>>56469210
What's included in that? I installed it from a 900mb iso and it was fully featured.
>>
>>56457616
I'd like to like openSUSE but I can't because it's really shitty.
>>
File: wat.jpg (25KB, 657x405px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
25KB, 657x405px
>download tumbleweed
>pick kde
>installation successful
>reboot
>this happens
is this a ruse
>>
>>56457616
>Why aren't you using the perfect distro?
That's called Ubuntu.
>>
>>56469532
CentOS isn't far behind Debian for commercial servers.
>>
>>56469639
press ctrl+alt f7 or something maybe f8 or f9 or f10 or higher i dont know
>>
>>56457616

I LOVE OpenSuse.. but It does not run properly on my current computer.
>>
>>56459498
emerge can remove gentoo
>>
>>56467450
>doesn't know what splitting packages means
Did you come to the wrong website? Try facebook.com
>>
>>56457616
Yast is ugly as fuck.
>>
>>56457616
because it uses systemd
>>
>>56469662
I prefer RHEL myself, but Deb/Buntu is ubiquitous here in Austin with all the esoteric hipster startups. I haven't worked on Redhat machines since I moved in '10 and we subcontract with at least three dozen companies.
>>
>>56457616
I do.
>>
>>56462519
>>56463453
My one issue with Gentoo is the timesink involved in installation. I like that I can take any popular distro, run through an intuitive installer with various options, and then have a fully functioning system within an hour or two. Debian minimal is my current goto.

With Gentoo, I have to configure my internet, decide between boot methods, mess with boot flags, and so much shit other tedious shit. I get that you end up with something very minimal and catered to your exact needs, but I don't know that the time invested is worth it, or if I have the attention span to handle it.

Is it really worth it? Should I spend a weekend learning/installing Gentoo or Funtoo?
>>
>>56457616
>It uses openCV
dropped
>>
>>56469639
>where is my gui reeeeeeeeeeee

t420@linux-944y:~>startx
t420@linux-944y:~> echo -e "Profit!\n"
>>
>>56477754
how the fuck would that echo command run if startx is successful
>>
>>56478065
muh tty(s)
>>
>>56457616
Because Debian Unstable works fine
>>
>>56469210
The DVD has at least 3 desktop environtments and lots of programs. It is specially good if you're going to install it on a computer without internet access.

But when you install you can chose what DE to use, and what to install, so your system will have the average distro size anyways.

You can download the net installer instead, and start from it. Or you can try with Suse Studio and create your own installation disc with the packages you want.
>>
>>56457616
>we test the programs hundreds of times
>we still need you to find bugs

Nice joke there, if you really want stable you know where to go.
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.