[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Someone fucking explain for me what the difference is between

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: $_3.jpg (22KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
$_3.jpg
22KB, 500x500px
Someone fucking explain for me what the difference is between a 80W soldering station and a 47W one.

Both go to 450C
The stuff I have to solder melts at 300C
>>
>>56456947
the energy consumption
>>
>>56456947
How fast it gets to temp.
>>
>>56456947
probably trivial unless you live in a windy frozen desert or plan to open a smelter.
>>
>>56456947
Probably also the speed at which it will reach the set temperature (when heating up ofc)
>>
>>56456947
Both those are fine for small electronics.

It starts to matter when you want to solder a heavy copper lead or something that acts as a heat sink
>>
OP here

thanks people
>>
>>56457106
What would you need for bigger stuff?
>>
>>56457296
Silver solder/butane torch
>>
It also will heat up the work faster and handle larger thermal masses like ground pads and large wire.
>>
>>56456947
try soldering 12awg wire with a 47W iron.

Doesnt heat it up fast enough and the heat starts transferring down the wire melting your insulation
>>
>>56456947
The time taken to heat and power consumption
It's a no brainer fuckboi
>>
Some elements like bigger capacitators will dissipate a lot of heat very quickly. Desoldering those for example will be hard with only 47 W. The shape of your tip can also become a factor. And some PCBs dissipate heat very quickly depending on how they're built, there's ways to deal with that too.
>>
>>56456947
What do you plan on soldering?

Server motherboards? Amplifiers? Fighting robots?

If none of the above, get the little girls iron and save your money.
>>
>>56456947

get a hakko fx-888d it's worth it
>>
>>56456947
the wand determines actual usage. Think of the base as a power supply, that must at a minimum be what the wand wants. A higher wattage wand will keep temperature better
>>
>>56456947
33W
>>
Basically in melting that solder at 300C, heat transfer has to occur between the iron and the solder. As a result, the iron loses heat energy, thus reducing its temperature, so it will melt the solder less effectively.

Therein is the whole point of the station, which works to maintain the temperature on the iron, so that it can continue to melt the solder effectively. The 80W station will have a far easier time in achieving this than the 47W one. This likely won't matter for smaller devices however for larger items (such as mounting linear regulators with large heatsinks), the 80W iron will have a far easier time than the 47W one. If you're just soldering wires and resistors and stuff, the 47W should be fine.
>>
It's pretty simple, you're confusing heat with temperature.

Heat is the thermal energy inside a piece of material. The power of your iron gives you the rate that the heat can be replenished once its transferred to the solder.

Just because the tip gets to 450C doesn't mean it can stay there. If the heat is transferred faster than you can replace it, it cools down. Higher wattage means you can work on solder joints more reliably, especially when you're working with bigger pads.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.