[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what's the deal with notebook battery life? Is the "always

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: 416X9dv6VZL[1].jpg (25KB, 500x326px) Image search: [Google]
416X9dv6VZL[1].jpg
25KB, 500x326px
So what's the deal with notebook battery life?

Is the "always plugged in will kill your battery life" just a meme?

Should you only have it between 40-80%?

What do you do, /g/?
>>
I'm not an expert but everything I've read about the subject says that the only problem that could cause always having your laptop charging is if your battery overheats when the surrounding temperature is too high
>>
>>56452653
just use it how you want and repack it when it's dead
>>
File: 1472752987195.jpg (60KB, 550x393px) Image search: [Google]
1472752987195.jpg
60KB, 550x393px
>>56452653
the best practice is to use the battery at least once every two weeks, avoid full discharge and heat, avoid immediate discharge, for example, don't unplug your device when you are gaming.
Buy a secondary battery if you have a backpack and dont want to plug in your device in a campus. take advantage of power saving features
>>
>>56452653
Sold laptop, bought desktop
>>
>>56452653
>Is the "always plugged in will kill your battery life" just a meme?

nah bro. i have quite a few that i constantly leave running/plugged in and their batteries are wrecked. like, if i pull the cord, they instantly die. that's taken years to happen, though.

on my traveling/day-to-day machine, i run it to 0% about once a week or so and let it recharge. it's a monstrous zbook 17, so i'd rather not ruin it just by being lazy.
>>
are Li-polymer better than Li-ion?
>>
>>56452878
>>56452826
yea, the using your battery till it's at 0% every once in a while is a good idea, OP.
>>
File: ycPQuED.gif (6KB, 569x510px) Image search: [Google]
ycPQuED.gif
6KB, 569x510px
Why does it matter? A battery lasts at least one year with plenty of use before the battery begins degrading in capacity.

You can repack them with batteries from ebay for mere dollars or buy quality batteries. My Thinkpad 9cell batteries are $38 for a 'brand new' one or I can buy the individual batteries to repack it for $8.
>>
>>56452897
> All these Chinese shit posters and their shitty nickel-cadmium batteries
>>
>>56452653
There is no known API for the Mac OS X battery (power) management hardware, so I can't keep it set at 50% like I'd like.

Regardless, my battery has fared pretty well given the # of load cycles it has been through and the age of the PC.
>>
Lithium-Ion batteries should be charged once they get around half charge, but unplugged before they reach 100%. Constantly fully charging it shortens battery life. A zero to full charge won't hurt every once and awhile.
In the long run heat will likely be the thing that kills your battery.
>>
>>56452878
I'm the guy with the Toshiba fire hazard (processor Temps regularly hit 100 C)

I treated it as a desktop and left it plugged in to use as a sort of two monitor (second monitor being laptop screen) setup and the battery life was absolutely ravaged in the boipussy.

Even getting a new battery didn't help.

3 years on it stopped even giving a shit if a battery was plugged in at all.
>>
>>56453054
>>56452970 here. I have occasionally fully discharged my battery (e.g. some times once very few days, but most of the time once every two weeks) the rest of the time it's been fully charged. I think the wisdom here is that it is ok to keep the battery fully charged but you need to discharge it occasionally otherwise the capacity decays.
>>
I have an old battered laptop that I still use for school and to watch things as a mock second monitor
For the majority of it's life I've never unplugged outside of a few occasions, and much more frequently now that I take it to class, and I've never noticed any significant decrease in it's battery life
>>
thinkpad running 24/7 plugged here
everything is fine
its a meme.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I keep mine fully charged before I store it because I mainly use it when the power goes out and I want it charged. I'll check it every month or so if I didn't use it.
>>
Back in '09 i had one of those large asus gaymen laptops, and in all honesty it was really just a desktop that I could pack up / unpack more efficiently. Most of the time, I just had it plugged in with the battery sitting in my laptop bag.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.