[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 340
Thread images: 19

File: tpg.png (280KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tpg.png
280KB, 600x600px
Previous thread: >>56425723

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
http://ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
http://www.dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
http://pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
http://pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1
>>
Should I cop? This will be for uni and I'm a EE major. Probably going to put debian on it.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/sys/5760116701.html
>>
whats a list of good PC Cards that can get some use in today's day for my T400

I already got a 3 Port USB 3.0 Express 54 for the top port coming in tomorrow so now i need the extra slot filled.

I was thinking maybe a smart card reader but not sure if its good for anything other than security (can you even use it as an encryption key for booting/loading a hard drive?)
>>
I have a two-part question. My T420 died today after literally falling into a lake. Here's the question:

My T420 was starting to feel old anyway.

Is there any way to get the T420 keyboard onto a T440-450 or w/e?

If not, are there any more powerful Thinkpads with the old keyboard?
>>
>>56448573
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
I haven't done this myself but it looks like it is possible. Also I want to say that the 20 series was sadly the last to have that style of keyboard.
>>
>>56448616
It's such a nice keyboard. I'm not sure if I can stomach buying another 420, but it sure is hard to move on. I'll look into your link.
>>
Is it best to buy a thinkpad with the best screen/processor and cheap out on hardrive and ram, then upgrade both of those after?
>>
Any thoughts about the Thinkpad yoga 12 with a digitizer?
>>
T400 or T420?
>>
I want a thinkpad but I'm a bit scared about getting scammed. Aside from what's in the buyer's guide, what else should I check on a thinkpad? I've been reading some stuff about loose hinges and bad wifi receivers and hard drives that fall out.
>>
Has anyone gotten a thinkpad from newegg? Specifically from the pc rebuilders and recyclers? Do their bios come unlocked?
>>
>>56448573
>My T420 was starting to feel old
What was wrong with it?
>>
So while using my x230t (and charging) windows suddenly went "no battery present", disconnecting the power cord let me use the battery normally but connecting it again would make it disappear again.

This is pants on fucking head retarded, battery info states it's in good condition, and the BIOS recognizes it.
Trying to charge it while it's turned off would make the orange led flash a couple of times and die.
I tried all kinds of combinations of resetting power and reinstalling the battery drivers in device manager.
Returning the BIOS to default didn't help it either.

Any ideas? This has been a pain in my anus for a while.
>>
Should I cop?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-LENOVO-ThinkPad-T440s-Intel-Core-i5-4300U-1-90GHz-500GB-SATA-16GB-SSD-4GB-/112120480110?hash=item1a1ae6c16e:g:CxIAAOSwMgdXyxhe
>>
>>56448573
You can put a T420 keyboard into a T430
>>
>>56449351
Just buy it on ebay and if they don't give you a functioning system, return it.
>>
>>56449351

If you're usig ebay just pay using paypal, 99% of the time they side with you. Just read descriptions.
>>
X1 Carbon a good ultrabook for software development (real-time embedded systems)?????
or should i go for something with a bit faster cpu
>>
File: IMG_20160906_151929.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160906_151929.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Got a t430 with nip keyboard, 3320m, 1600x900, 8gb 1600mhz, hdd, apparently previously used by a careful Nipland OL because everything's still shiny and solid.

Did I do good /g/entoomen?
>>
>>56450309
Sorry forgot, price was $240

Planning to throw a 250GB 850 evo into into main slot and move the existing HDD into a caddy.
>>
I feel like getting a 4:3 laptop.

What do you guys think of the X60, X61, T60, T61, T61p?
>>
>>56450370
From that lot, the T61 is the best.
*60 are older and the T61p is a bit riskier, at least if you get one with the nvidia card.
>>
>>56450309
>Those extra keys.
Oh man I would be spoiled by all those modifiers.
>>
>>56450383
If I get one with a IGP will it be ok?
>>
Anyone have an X230 Tablet on Windows 10? The top of my tablet screen goes all fucked up on me for some reason--putting the pen in that area puts touches below a certain threshold, and moving vertically in that area moves the cursor horizontally under the threshold. I don't get it.
>>
>>56450444
Try calibrating it my nigga
>>
>>56450407
My wife is now using the T61 I bought one year ago, and it's doing fine with her facebooking and tumblring, etc...

On the other hand, it crapped out a little with flash on linux while I was using it so...
>>
>>56450463
Tried multiple times; even the calibration screen has that issue.
>>
>>56450463
Tried that multiple times; it does it on the calibration screen, too.
>>
>>56450309
If you program be rdy to seppuku, jap keyboards have differnt locations for + -, extra keys etc. If they didnt they would be a weebs wetdream
>>
>>56450309
>Nipland OL
Did you sniff and lick the keyboard?
>>
>>56450523
Can't you just change that in the system settings?
>>
>Get a x220 a few days ago
>Seems a bit slow
>Temps are at 80-85 when the cpu is at 20% load
That can't be safe, right? What do I do? Fan seems to run normally.
>>
Do Precision E6500 and such have good screens? They have good resolutions (fhd and higher) and are really cheap, but what about quality of picture? I had Latitude E4310 with 768p screen and it made my head ache. It had rubbish screen.
>>
>>56448616
Fuark, now I want to do that.
>>
Thoughts on Precision M4600? Anyone know how well it stacks up in GNU/Linux? I found a very good deal on one with 12 GB of ram, a 256 GB SSD, i7, etc for under $300USD. I have used the laptop before, so I know how it performs in Windows, but I'm not sure whether it will be fully compatible with Linux?
>>
File: 1394213342035.gif (92KB, 265x310px) Image search: [Google]
1394213342035.gif
92KB, 265x310px
>>56450560
>he fell for the meme
send back if you still can its the only way
>>
>>56450560
Clean it thoroughly and apply new thermal compound. Takes 5 minutes and is to be expected of a few year old laptop
>>
>>56450523
>>56450548
This. There's no way in hell I'm keeping the Jap layout. Even after the remaps I'm not sure if I can adapt to the retarded Enter key and short as fuck spacebar (map those 2 moonrune keys to space too maybe?). I'll just give it a try. Worst case scenario, Jack Ma can give me that US keyboard.

>>56450531
Not worth the risk of licking some otaku's cum senpai.
>>
>>56448171
I bought a Elitebook 12.5"
Should I install arch Linux
directly or?
>>
>>56451746
If it is your first time using Linux, I suggest NOT using a graphical installer for Arch, IE Antergos or Manjaro or Architect. You will learn far more by just installing it by hand.
>>
>>56451955
It's not the first time, my main desktop got
Arch Linux. I just wonder if there's a reason
to save Windows. I only have a 128GB SSD
so I quess I will only use Linux.
>>
>>56452005
1 thing is weird 'y' and 'z' are on the wrong places. And I wonder what keyboard layout I should use.
>>
My trusty ol' X200s is slowly dying.
I found a used X230 with an i5, 8GB of RAM and 128GB Samsung SSD for 250 bucks. Great condition too, saw it in person.
Should I take it?
How's the X230 anyways, the keyboard is cancer but I want just OK performance (better than the X200s anyways) and some good battery life.
>>
Hey guys I am using a t420 and overall i am really happy.
My wificonnection sucks tho so I assume it's because of the wificard.
any suggestion which one to buy? I am from pooreurope btw
>>
>>56449835
>$370
>1.9GHz
no
>>
Where do i get a X1 Carbon 3rd gen battery for replacement? Even the official lenovo site doesn't have it.

is it non existant?
>>
Are crucial SSDS a meme?
>>
File: thinkpad.jpg (553KB, 1080x1300px) Image search: [Google]
thinkpad.jpg
553KB, 1080x1300px
Did other anon get his nip keyboard from ali yet? The wears on mine are starting to set in and just look like a well worn keyboard, still contemplating buying another eventually...

>>56450403
J E A L O U S
>>
>>56453117
ThinkPads are a meme, you're a meme, I'm a meme, everything is a meme.
>>
>>56453342
I just want to keep the memage pure
What RAM is the biggest meme?
>>
>>56449780
If you know somebody with the same laptop, try their battery and see what happens.
>>
>>56453373
then go with kingdian ssds + nobrand china ram
>>
>>56453177
I'd like to get the weeb keyboard but i got so used to the meme arrow key for toggling the microphone on and off.

I'd miss my dedicated shitposting key.
>>
I could get a used x220 for $170, then throw in a $30 mSATA SSD. The only thing I'm worried about is the battery life, and Newegg sometimes has similar x220's for the same price but refurbished, so I'm assuming they're better quality. Should I wait or take the used one now?
>>
Just got my t420 and it worked fine yesterday, but now 6 keys are dead. (Y,U,H,J,N,M), the keys left off the trackpoint. Any idea how to fix or what caused this? am I fucked? Tried booting in both linux and w10..
>>
>>56453596
right*
>>
>>56453596
>>56453612
have you tried rebooting?
What OS?
>>
>>56453632
had the problem in the preinstalled w7. Formatted and installed w10, no problems for a few hours. Suddenly the keys were dead when I woke up this morning. I have W10 and Fedora atm
>>
>>56453650
>>56453632
update: the trackpad just stopped working.

wtf is going on? is my computer short-circuiting?
>>
>>56453492
My kingshit SSD has been serving me well. My RAM is also from some unknown company, but it's 'murican.
>>
>>56453650
>>56453706
Replug your keyboard and see if that helps.
>>
>>56453787
>My kingshit SSD has been serving me well
I'm running a mSATA Kingdian ssd and yeah, it's good.
>>
>>56453811
Same here. Mine's a KINGSTON_SMS200S.
>>
>>56453823
Kingdian != Kingston
>>
>>56453857
Ah. I see they have a similar reputation anyhow.
>>
i've read the buyers guide for used thinkpads in the op, but when it says $170-$210 for a t420, what sort of specs will that have? like 4gb ram and 500gb sata?
>>
>>56453921
Depends on the seller of course but just buy the cheapest one, everything is upgradeable including the CPU.

Two 8gb sticks are cheap too.
>>
Best place to get X230/T430?
>>
>>56454028
depends on how much you wanna pay/what you can find on ebay/craigslist
also if you're gonna get an x2n0, you have to be sorta careful opening it. if you open it and close it from the top the shitty bar things will get wibbley wobbley and might break off
>>
Anyone want to compile a checklist of things to look for when buying second hand Thinkpads?
We can add it to the guides listed in OP eventually

Here is what I have so far:

-Enter BIOS, make sure that it is not password locked, if there is a screen prompting for a password then it is password locked and you will not be able to change all settings

-In BIOS, make sure hardware matches the seller's description (core hardware is listed in the BIOS)

-In BIOS, make sure that computrace and anti theft is disabled

-In boot utilities run simple hardware diagnostics if available (newer models will allow you to check the health of memory and storage)

-Boot the device and check that inputs like buttons, touchpad, and keyboard are working properly (make sure they are not disabled in the BIOS before claiming something doesn't work)

-Check physical condition of the item and run a test on ports if possible

-Check if the COA is still on the laptop if planning on using it

-Plug the laptop to a power source or unplug if running off a wall socket to check functionality of battery and power input

-Inspect the screen for dead/stuck pixels or any other screen damage

If anyone can add or correct to this, feel free to do so.
>>
>>56454066
Mine's been fine for years. You pretty much gotta drop it on that part of the lid.
>>
>>56454094
In the X models, check for cracks in the chassis around the HDD socket.
>>
How do I check if a thinkpad yoga s1 has a digitizer or not based on the MPN? I can't find the MPN information anywhere online.
>>
>>56453805
trackpad working again. replugged keyboard, dead keys still persists.
>>
>>56454197
It may be time to buy another keyboard. Fortunately for you, they're cheap.
>>
>>56448171
wtf did i do wrong?

I bought an i7-2720QM for my t420 to replace the i5-2520

when i dropped the chip in and started it up, nothing happens.

The powerbutton flashes a couple times then just stays on.

Somethings the thinklight comes on in this process.

the display never turns on (even through DP or VGA)

Is the CPU dead?
Or did i fuck up the install?

On a side note the i5 runs a lot cooler with artic MX4......
>>
>>56454280
this is probably just a super coincidence but the last processor i bought new was dead
>>
>>56454315
how did the thinkpad react?

I mean i'm sure thats what i've got, but before i go through the bullshit process of returning it (amazon) i figured i should probably make sure its dead.

(he claims its tested, but i had to clean paste off the CPU, it sadly wasn't new, BUT he's still willing to do a return (probably because he knows he didnt test it))
>>
>>56454280
>>56454404
Does it work with the original CPU still? If so, your new one may be DOA.
>>
>>56454404
nothing worked
the green light on the outside would blink a few times, but nothing else ever came on
>>
>>56454129
Added to the list, thanks
>>
>>56454441
yes thats why i mentioned
>On a side note the i5 runs a lot cooler with artic MX4......

I let go a huge sigh of relief when i dropped the old CPU back in and it booted up.

>>56454461
"sweet" same shits happening, ill send it back tonight.
>>
>>56454557
but not after realizing i did literally a perfect paste drop, like so fucking perfect only like .5mm was squeezed out on the sides.

it was depressing having to wipe that away....
>>
>>56454094
For X220 and X230 (maybe others as well):
Check for white spots on display - more visible when a light image is displayed. These are caused by too much padding behind the display pressing against it. When you slightly flex the whole panel these spots will show up and change colour.

It's also fairly easy to check remaining battery capacity.
>>
Went to a swap meet and found a T60 for 20 bucks and my friend told me to get it. Installed xbuntu on it, and found out its battery is dead, so getting one in the mail soon. What else should I be doing with this thing?
>>
>>56454705
Throw out that old piece of garbage.
>>
>>56454705
obvious libreboot is obvious
>>
>>56454722
Not him, but t60s work pretty well still
>>
Got my x230. The hinge is too loose. There's this white spots in the bottom right of the screen. The touchpad is also behaving weird even with the drivers properly installed. Should I get this replaced or is this okay with used laptops?
>>
>>56455132
Ya got slightly fucked.
>>
Folks who do thinkpad+external monitor, how do you position everything. Is your thinkpad off to the side with the monitor in front of you? Are the two angled at each other? Is the thinkpad in front of you and the monitor off to the side?
>>
>>56455132
i got completely fucked like that too recently, but ill get a replacement. tons of white spots, plastic part of top cover breaking off. guy who sold me sells many thinkpads in many priceranges that depend on condition. i paid for "near perfect" and got lowest tier with shitty ass everything. either a mistake or he tried to screw me and hope i wont notice.
>>
>>56455132
>is this okay

its not okay at all, not even trolling.
it isn't the end of the world, but you got sold an item that the seller likely knew had defective parts.

a touchpad/palmrest assembly is $10 dollars on ebay for a t430, so x230 shouldn't be so bad.

you will have to replace the screen, white spots don't go away. those are dead pixels.

it sucks you got screwed, but don't worry too much man. thinkpads are very easy to service yourself, there is full documentation on lenovo's website, and they even have videos on taking apart and replacing parts
>>
>>56455227
dock off to the side with my laptop closed and dual monitors in front of me (one directly in front, one to the right.)
>>
My T61p started to make a loud noise. It does that right after boot or in windows. It's louder than anything else. I can hear it from the other room. It seems to stop when I pick up the laptop and move it around in air. What is it? Fan or speakers? It can't be BIOS or HDD if the Windows boot correctly, right?
The laptop doesn't have a screen. It uses VGA by default. Even when it's screeching I can still hear other Windows sounds.
>>
>>56455302
Fan.
>>
>>56455132
Nah, man, it's pretty fucking far from okay. My X200 was in much better condition, your X220 must look like almost new.
>>
how is this bullshit plastic strip covering top part of X230/X220 lid is called? how do you search ebay for it?
>>
>>56455318
Will open it up later. We will see.
>>
>>56455132
hey man i just checked out a x230 palmrest, and i hadn't realized it doesn't come with the touchpad inside of it as one piece

if i were you, i would try to return it.
also, get a t430 or t530. convenience is not worth the extra cost of the x___ series.

i personally use a t430, am posting from it right now. its the perfect laptop, besides the key placement. it isn't even the chiclet keys that bother me, but the placement.
>>
>>56455302
how do you like your t61p? that picture makes me want tot get one
>>
>>56455518
Replaced it for X220 ages ago. T61P has faulty NVIDIA GPU and can only take in C2D CPUs and 8 GB of RAM. Also, once the display died I never got the correct one from ebay. I told them to send me a square 4:3 one and they always ended up sending me widescreen. Other than that, it's cheap and it works. With 2 batteries installed it gets 6 h max (so it's shit).
I have it because you can install 2 HDDs in it.
>>
>>56450500
>>56450492
Check if the touchscreen has an additional settings file (besides the driver). I bought some chink tablet with win10 and after wiping and reinstalling the OS the touchscreen was all fucked up, kinda like you said. Fixed it copying a file from the OEM recovery ISO. In my case the touchscreen manufacturer is silead, and the file was a friggin 16kb file named silead.fw.

That single damn file fixed the whole thing.
>>
File: 4218539270_dc6aac095f_o.jpg (89KB, 1200x798px) Image search: [Google]
4218539270_dc6aac095f_o.jpg
89KB, 1200x798px
>>
>>56455371
I'm not sure if it is available separately. Mine is cracked in the middle behind the webcam, fixed it with some plastic and a bit of chink epoxy.
>>
Describe your Thinkpads!

>Model
x230

>CPU & GPU
Intel i5-3320M @ 2.60GHz
Intel HD4000
Nvidia GTX960 (eGPU)

>RAM
8GB @ 1600MHz

>Storage
128GB mSATA SSD
500GB 7200rpm HDD

>Screen
1366x768 TN

>Battery
9 cell

>Docks & adapters
None

>OS
Xubuntu 16.04
Windows 10
>>
>>56454557
Holy shit guys on a side note tho

its 100% worth it replacing your thermal paste

I run 3-4 monitors from my t420, its my daily work driver (c++/PHP developer)

i normally sit around 85c all day, sometimes peaking at 98c before i need to "let it rest for a min"

I replaced both my GPU and CPU paste with Artic MX4

I passed 85c like once today
I haven't even seen it get to 90 yet
sitting around ~76c under normal work conditions

AND my fan hasn't kicked on to 100% yet, i'm sure i could "work idle" at 70c with the fans on max.
>>
How viable is the x200s today? Seems really underpowered, even compared to the standard x200.
>>
t420 soon
>>
>>56455698
Why not just X200? X200T has cool tablet mode, X200 is easily librebootable and more powerful. Why buy an x200s? >muh slim? C'mon, it's /tpg/.
>>
>>56455698
Get X220. I still use it to this day.
>>
>>56455740
Dunno, it runs cooler(?), slightly better battery? If the performance is only MARGINALLY worse it doesn't seem like a bad choice.
>>
>>56455776
> runs cooler
[citation needed]
Its processor heats less, but it's compensated by shittier cooling.
> slightly better batery
Maybe, I got a spare 6cell anyway, so it doesn't bother me, your mileage may vary.
> marginally
AFAIK the most powerful S < higher-than-average normal.
>>
File: 1394213398692.png (158KB, 273x335px) Image search: [Google]
1394213398692.png
158KB, 273x335px
>>56455664
>TN
>>
>>56455820
>shittier cooling.
It's louder?
>>
>>56455664
WELCOME TO ONE-UP TOWN BOYOOO

>Model
X230t

>CPU & GPU
Intel i7-3520m @ 2.90GHz
Intel HD4000
Nvidia GTX 1060 (eGPU)

>RAM
16GB @ 1600MHz

>Storage
240GB mSATA SSD
1TB 7200 rpm HDD

>Screen
1366x768 IPS

>Battery
6 cell

>Docks & adapters
None

>OS
Windows 10
>>
>>56455865
I don't really know, it must be at the same level of noise.
>>
Good deal?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182264294936?hash=item2a6fcc6e18:g:If0AAOSwknJXyFmL&autorefresh=true
>>
>>56455664
>Model
T400

>CPU & GPU
Intel Core 2 Duo P8600
Intel Integrated Graphics 4500MHD

>RAM
4GB DDR3

>Storage
128GB SSD
1TB 7200rpm HDD

>Screen
1280x800 TN

>Battery
6 cell

>Docks & adapters
None

>OS
Windows 10
>>
>>56455664
>Model
t420

>CPU & GPU
Intel i5-2520M @ 2.5ghz -> 3.20turbo
Intel HD3000 + Nvidia NVS4200m

>RAM
8GB @ 1600MHz

>Storage
250GB sandisk(lol) ssd
500GB 7200rpm HDD

>Screen
1600x900 TN

>Battery
9 cell

>Docks & adapters
The fancy v2 dock that has dual DP/DVI + USB3.0

>OS
Windows 10 + bash
>>
is buying an e560 with i5 6200 a good idea? are there any replacement?
>>
guys how should i clean my greasy keyboard (T420) ? Its noticeably glistening under direct light and the keys are kind oy slippery because im a sloppy fuck. I've tried cleaning it with a cloth but it didn't work.
>>
>>56455848
It serves me well, but I really need to buy an IPS screen.
>>
https://www.strawpoll.me/11169037
>>
>>56455664

>Model
t420

>CPU & GPU
Intel i5-2540M @ 2.6ghz
Intel HD3000

>RAM
8GB @ 1600MHz

>Storage
60GB unknown SSD (pathetic I know)

>Screen
1600x900 TN

>Battery
9 cell

>Docks & adapters
none

>OS
Windows 10

>plans to upgrade
256GB SSD, better display, PCI express HDMI adapter
>>
There's a thinkvision monitor at a local shop with no price tag on it. I didn't ask the price since I'm not sure if it's worth it, is it?
>>
>>56453177

I got so used to this image that I start to feel comfy every time I see it.

Like, at home.
>>
>>56453177
>X series
>not T series masterrace.
>>
>>56450950
I meant M6500 of course. Does anyone have one?
>>
There's a T61p near me for $169

I think it had 3gb ram and a 320gb HDD, don't remember the other specs. Should I get it?
>>
Saw a recertified x220 for 220. 4GB ram and 320GB HD. Sounds like a decent deal. Am I wrong?
>>
I'm having a huge problem... don't know how to fix it
i bought a thinkpad x220 refurbished, and the temps were ok
after a bios update (that went well), the fans do not spin anymore
what to do? 95º iding...
>>
>>56456956
I've replaced the fucking fan in my X220.
>>
>>56456771
>not X-s masterrace

Not that I've ever found somewhere selling them
>>
>>56453596

Here again. The dead keys resolved itself after installing an SSD and w10. Unfortunately I'm a clumsy fuck and managed to break the trackpoint scroll button while removing my keyboard..

kek

>>56454213
>>56453805
>>56453632
>>
Is there a big difference in battery life between a T420 and a T430?
>>
Daily reminder that Thinkpad falls under Lenovo now and not IBM.
>>
>>56457393
It depends.
If we're talking about a T420 and a T430 with integrated graphics, the battery life on the T430 will be slightly better. half an hour or so under windows, maybe 20 minutes extra under linux, with the 6cell battery.

With dedicated graphics, the power saving is negligible.
>>
>>56457406
they were still made with ibm quality until the x40 series
>>
>>56456076
you buy a new one

the finish on the plastic of these parts (mouses, keyboards, palmrests) wears off from prolonged usage. to make it usable, you can either use windex and a paper towel, or a mr clean sponge, but it will always be noticeably smooth and shiny from this point onwards, there is literally nothing you can do besides buying a new one, or maybe covering the keys with small strips of electric tape
>>
>>56456862
>$169
That's quite expensive. I could get a decent t420 for that where I live.
>>
>>56455664
>Model
T460

>CPU & GPU
Intel i5-6200U @ 2.80GHz
Intel HD 520

>RAM
8GB @ 1600MHz

>Storage
256GB SATA SSD

>Screen
1920x1080 IPS

>Battery
3-cell internal
6- and 3-cell external (hot swappable)

>Docks & adapters
None

>OS
Ubuntu 16.04
Windows 10

Love this machine, absolutely insane battery life.
>>
If I wanted to gain experience on Linux and so, specifically, networking/ipsec/server management related, which distro should I use, Arch, Debian, or another one?

And could I do that while having a decent, eficient, system with the minimal required for shitposting?
>>
>>56455664
>Model
T520

>CPU & GPU
Intel i5-2430M @ 3 GHz
Intel HD3000

>RAM
6GB @ whatever probably 1333 MHz

>Storage
500GB 7200rpm HGST HDD

>Screen
1600x900 TN

>Battery
9 cell around 70% capacity

>Docks and adapters
Mini dock series 3 at work

>OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
>>
>>56453177
dude ur laptop looks so cute to me for some reason, maybe its the outline of the keys and the nipplemouse buttons
>jap keyboards have european size enter keys
sign me the fuck up
>>
How hard would it be to modify one of those Lenovo ultrabay batteries to work with my T440P? I guess my system doesn't have the right internal connections, so I was thinking about just wiring up the positive and negative to the internals of my battery (assuming the voltages are the same , and there isn't anything else stopping that from working..)...
>>
>>56455664
T420
i7 2620m 2.7ghz
nvs 4200m
4gb ram
500gb hdd
1600x900 tn
6 cell
no adaptors
windows 7

just got this machine less than a week ago, fucking love it to bits. even got a bit of dota played at acceptable settings. maybe gonna look at msata drives, ayylmaoware screen, bigger battery
also why everyone using windows 10? lmao
>>
>>56458239
>t440p

what is wrong with you?
>>
>>56458384
idk
I use it for work (dual boot and sometimes VMs for specific shit).
Otherwise, Xubuntu is comfy as fuck.

I would have thought the usage of Linux to be higher.
>>
>>56458239
Nice way of blowing your battery AND laptop to bits.
>>
>>56458384
>also why everyone using windows 10?
Better performance, better resource management, Hyper-V, some of the newer features in Windows 10 are nice to have on a laptop.
Why are you using Windows 7 ?
>>
>>56458584
>Hyper-V
actually, you got me there, good one
despite the architectural improvements since W7, i cannot use 10 as i am autistic about the telemetry and surveillance. i could entertain using pirated w10 enterprise ltsb but the new branch disables the telemetry group policy setting. also, w7 allows me to disable desktop composition.
>>
>>56455664
>Model
T420 blaze it.

>CPU & GPU
Intel i7-2720QM @ 2.2 GHz
Intel HD3000
Nvidia GTX950 (eGPU)

>RAM
16GB @ 1333MHz

>Storage
250GB mSATA Samsung 850 EVO SSD
2x 1000GB 5400rpm HDD

>Screen
1600x900 TN

>Battery
9 cell

>Docks & adapters
Mini Dock series 3

>OS
Windows 7 & Antergos
>>
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a P50 base model, and swapping the hdd for a 950 pro and adding a larger sodimm kit. Does TP approve or will I hate everything?
>>
>>56455664
t420

i7-2620m
HD4000

8GB @ 1333

256gb mSATA SSD (850 EVO)
1TB HGST HDD
250GB Hitachi in the ultrabay

1600x900

2x 70++ 9 cells (One NIB, one at 92% health)
1x 50+ 6 cell at 90% health

Mini Dock Series 3 (4337)
Soft Rim Trackpoint

Xubuntu 16.04
OSX 10.11.6
>>
>>56458661
You can, however, use Windows 8.1 and get most of the architectural improvements with as much of the telemetry and surveillance as Windows 7 has.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/11169037/
>>
>>56458697
The W7 shell is just comfier, I've had 7 years experience with it. Besides, forced composition and I don't have a valid licence for 8.1 after I posted my fucking product key on the board (I'm a good boy and I can't be fucked with activators)
>>
>>56458730
How does one post a product key on /g/ accidentally?
>>
File: 2016-09-05-061634_1600x900_scrot.png (199KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-05-061634_1600x900_scrot.png
199KB, 1600x900px
anybdy here running coreboot? how is it compared to stock BIOS on my t420?
>>
>>56458748
Took a picture of the disc sleeve with a shit phone camera thinking it was too low quality to read. I was wrong
>>
How much better is a 4:3 screen T60 in comparison to a 16:10 screen on a T400?

Can anyone tell me their experience?
>>
>>56458730
>The W7 shell is just comfier, I've had 7 years experience with it.
Aside from the aesthetic change in going from the transparent "glass" style to a flat theme, the W8.1 shell is exactly the same as W7 through and through.
Sure, there's the start screen, but this actually provides exactly the same workflow as W7's start menu. If you don't like it, you can always just install Classic Shell and there you go you're back to the old style.

>forced composition
And why would you -not- want composition ?
You're trading window management being rendered largely by the GPU for more CPU overhead. If you're going to try to tell me this gives you better battery life or performance, I'm going to have to ask you to back it up with some factual information on the matter.

>after I posted my fucking product key on the board
hahahaha fucking retard.

>I'm a good boy and I can't be fucked with activators
pussy
>>
>>56458816
I'd take the 4:3 screen only because i don't give a shit about movies or anime.
>>
>>56458816
On a 14" model? Probably substantially worse, especially if the T400 is one of the LED backlit models. The 15" 4:3 T60 with the IPS screen utterly annihilates all the 14" models, though.
>>
Just ordered 4th gen x1 carbon wqhd refurb for $800. can't handle the shitty resolution on my x220 anymore.
>>
>>56459101
you could have just bought a new screen you dope
>>
>>56458960
>The 15" 4:3 T60 with the IPS screen utterly annihilates all the 14" models, though.
How hard is it to find these ones? They sound god-tier.
>>
How do I disable my trackpad in IceWM
>>
>>56459563
They can be a bit uncommon, especially if you're not looking to spend over $100. Getting a T60p is the easy way, since all 15" models had IPS screens. Regular T60s have a 1024x768 TN option which you definitely don't want.
>>
>>56458153
please respond
>>
Is $70 incld. shipping for a supposedly "factory sealed" x220 mobo a good price?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
My almost fully refurbished t400 from a 10 dollar purchase on eBay
>>
You ever wonder if Lenovo intentionally pooped on the clitmouse and buttons a few years back? With the *40 series out of the picture, the used market is disrupted and essentially forces people to buy a generation newer than they otherwise would have.
>>
>>56459205
For 1080p resolution? That mod is a hassle. I'm going to enjoy this decadent 1440 panel on the x1. Already planning on upgrading ssd to Samsung pro NVMe too. It's time.
>>
File: $_12[1].jpg (10KB, 500x353px) Image search: [Google]
$_12[1].jpg
10KB, 500x353px
I can just stick this into a x220, and screwed mounting-holes be dammed, right?
>>
>>56459756
disable it from the bios
>>
>>56459784
>Getting a T60p is the easy way, since all 15" models had IPS screens
Sadly they were 16:10 though, unless I'm mistaken
>>
interested in a workstation that travels well, are modern P-series good choices?
>>
>>56460276
what os is that? also nice i did the same thing with a t400 i bought last week that was only missing a hard drive.
>>
Is there a better 16:10 screen that I could put in my x201 later on?
>>
>>56449835
get a new charger, had a similar problem with a w510 and replacing the charger worked for me
>>
>>56455583
Type good, pupper
>>
File: IMG_20160906_224809.jpg (4MB, 2992x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160906_224809.jpg
4MB, 2992x4000px
Paid $220 in total for this beast. Opinions on osx on t420?
>>
>>56462102
how did you do that?
>>
My laptop recently broke and I'm need of another.

For the time being my dad gave me his chromebook he never uses and I've actually enjoyed using it for school. I was considering just throwing linux on this and calling it a day.

So whats the better option for me? Keeping the used shitty chromebook or buying a thinkpad?
>>
>>56460276
I'm jelly.
>>
>>56462354
Use the chromebook.

Put GalliumOS on it.
>>
Are t420 capable of quad core processor
>>
>>56462500
see >>56458663
>>
>>56462102
>homosex on a non macbook
0/10
>>56462500
capable: yes
should you do it?: no
>>
Recertified x220 for 220. 4GB ram and 320GB HD. Good deal or no?
>>
I have latitude e6430. It gets too hot and the fans runs like all the time
Verdict its shit
>>
>>56454593
mine has this problem as well
Good catch, will add to the list
>>
>feel for the thinkpad meme
>get a x220T
>it creaks like a haunted house in steroids
>keyboard is mushy and the auditory feedback is unsatisfactory
>keyboard also flexes a lot
>rans hot than Prescott
>IPS screen has ghosting issues
>>
>>56463228
kek newfag, you got trolled

everyone here has mackbook pros
>>
>>56463228
>buys a laptop made by chinks
>is surprised it has chink quality
>>
Will this fit my t420s?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA22F3X09341
>>
>>56458153
Debian
>>
>>56463228
WE DID IT GUYS! WE GOT ANOTHER ONE!
>>
>>56463578
this picture always triggers me. my brain contorts to make sense of it.
>>
>>56461132
3 sizes, 2 of which are square, only one of which came with IPS - and that's the 15" square T60p, not the 14.1" T60p or 15.6" widescreen T60p.
>>
>>56463228
>100+ CAD for an x220 IPS panel everywhere I look
I want off this abysmal TN ride.
>>
>>56455664
>Model
T420

>CPU & GPU
Intel Core i5 2540M
Intel HD3000

>RAM
8GB, no clue about the clock speeds actually

>Storage
Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD in the hard drive bay
250GB Western Digital 5400rpm HDD in the ultrabay

>Screen
1600x900 TN

>Battery
6 cell

>Docks & adapters
N/A

>OS
Fedora 24 (Main)
Windows 7 Professional (Secondary, for when on battery; offers better battery life, even with TLP installed and configured)
>>
How is x300? I can get one for 65 eurobucks with a few scrapes but nothing too serious.
>>
day 6, still waiting for my x62 to arrive
>>
>>56464121
Anemic for anything above "netbook" usage but a well built classic machine.
>>
is getting an x240 or t 440 worth it for the extra cash versus either a 420,430,230,220?
>>
t460 or x1 carbon? Whats the point of upgradability other than increasing RAM? Is it really worth it? Because it seems thats the only thing going for t460 over carbon.
>>
>>56461317
The DE is GNOME 3
>>
>>56463814
why specifically? what are the differences between Debian and Arch?
>>
>>56450309
That tiny spacebar gives you mad amounts of street cred, and the jap characters make it extra sophisticated. Thumbs up.
>>
>>56464824
Just bought a x120e with really faded keycaps. Now you're making me consider getting a Japanese keyboard to replace it (I can just swap them in like that, right?)

...It's go great when I put Moebuntu on the machine.
>>
>>56464121
X300 is severely underpowered. Get a X200s if you're into that.
>>
Is the X220T really as shit as this guy says? >>56463228

I want one for drawing instead of a gayPad Pro
>>
>>56464765
rolling release (up to date packages), minimal patching, package manager, AUR
>>
>>56465055
Seconding this, is >>56463228 accurate in their claims? I ordered an X220T a few days ago, am I fucked?
>>
>>56458153
>If I wanted to gain experience on Linux and so, specifically, networking/ipsec/server management related, which distro should I use, Arch, Debian, or another one?
Don't bother with unix, get FreeBSD. You're fucked for suspending on a X2*x/T4*x but everything else works.
>>
>>56464606
He asked for the OS which is Kali Linux, not the desktop environment you dumb fuck
>>
>>56464940
"Do it, faggot".
>>
>>56465230
My T420 creaks if you press on the lid, the keyboard is rubber-dome so obviously not as good as a proper keyboard, and the display is shit.

But it doesn't run hot and the keyboard is great for a laptop.

Basically /g/ massively over-exaggerates how good they are, but they're still good laptops for the price.
>>
>>56465230
>>56465055
Fuck I just ordered a X220t, am I fucked too?
>>
>>56465546
I have used it for 3years. Except for the useless touchscreen, it is a very nice laptop.
>>
What's a half decent X220/T420 alternative that's 13.3"? Are there any?
>>
I need some feedbacks about *buntu and arch installation on thinkpad 460.
am I fucked or will it run easily ?
>>
>>56465589
how is the wacom/digitiser feature?
>>
>>56465120
So I should go for Debian rather than Arch then if I want to be productive, and go for Arch if I want something more userfriendly and consumer-like?

>>56465246
So FreeBSD is the one that will give me the most skills?
>>
>people who ACTUALLY buy these old ass thinkpads
guys its a fucking meme thread like fingerboxes at /b/ how retarded are you
>>
>>56465620
>So FreeBSD is the one that will give me the most skills?
Yup and its not that hard to get into and you don't have to deal with systemd[ick]. The documentation is written by engineers rather than underaged faggots who wrote linux and couldn't document shit

>>56465667
CPUs haven't really gotten faster pajeet
>>
>>56465597
No. Maybe if the X300 was still a thing instead of the X1

>>56465602
It works "okay" as long as you stay away from the edges, especially the bottom edge where it starts to act ballistic. Helped by that firmware update but it's a Wacom QC issue
>>
>>56454094
Ensure no screws are missing?
>>
thonkpods very bad laptop i buy macbook becaus aple good laptop
>>
>>56458099
Is the 6 cell battery worth it?
>>
My t420 is making a 1 beep-3 beeps-1 beep signal when I start. How fucked am I?
>>
>>56466767
can you get past post?
>>
>>56454094
get it booting to windows and then use the lenovo system health check program. Next, get the dock and make sure all the ports work.
>>
My X200 just kicked the bucket after years of service. Total hardware failure. RIP she served me well.

I was looking for a recommendation for a replacement: I don't play games but I do like to make youtube videos. What's the best and cheapest option for a video rendering business laptop? Doesn't have to be a thinkpad. As long as my videos don't take all night to render I'm happy!
>>
>>56467237
>My X200 just kicked the bucket after years of service. Total hardware failure
how did it fail? these things have very few failure modes if you keep them cool and dust free
>>
>>56467301
I was lying on my bed and suddenly it made a noise like a helicopter blade hitting a tree, opened it up and the left fan had completely disintegrated and sent shrapnel all over the insides. Now it gives me the fan error code. I could probably fix it at cost with replacement parts but I was looking for alternatives for video rendering anyway.
>>
>>56454280
You gotta update to the latest bios
>>
>>56467385
>video rendering
There's your problem :3

X200 is not made for that
>>
File: iron-spider-2.jpg (223KB, 1282x1920px) Image search: [Google]
iron-spider-2.jpg
223KB, 1282x1920px
>>56468334
Yeah it's a recent thing I got into, never felt the limitations of the laptop as a shitposting machine until I tried to make a video.
>>
my t420s has coil whine when i scroll webpages, is there any solution or am I fucked?
>>
I'm trying to mod the stock t420 BIOS for to support ivy cpus. Does anyone habe some experience modding uefi bioses? The ubu tool and mmtool 4.5 aren't helping much.
>>
>>56468526
Seems to be a common issue on t420(s). Mine does it when not plugged in and some sites make it actually scream (only seen it on tonymacx86 while running 10.11, but it does happen)
>>
>>56468604
Fucking german autocorrect
>>
Are there plastic battery covers / empty battery shells for Thinkpads? I'm using an X201 Tablet and toying with the idea of taking out the battery because I only use it near power outlets.

I'm only taking it to class in an auditorium which has outlets built on top of the desks. People (non-autists included) use them so I wouldn't be the only one.

Alternatively, is this thing going to be fine in its own backpack section with its battery pins exposed?
>>
>>56469064
cover the pins with some tape and you could probably gut a socheapitsgonnaexplodeonyourasstier chink battery.
>>
Can I put just any WAN card in the express slot on my x201 or would it have to be the quallcomm that lenovo shipped with some models
>>
should X230 battery be slightly loose as in you can move it? or it should be completely impossible to move once plugged?
>>
>>56469362
Not a x230 owner, but no battery should be loose. You wouldn't want the risk of the computer turning off when you place down the device or drop the device from a small distance.
>>
>>56468526
Try changing your CPU stepping in BIOS or just turning it off. Or whatever preformance/powersave/etc your OS may have. In working with some older laptops I found that coil whine was related to the CPU going into deeper sleep states at idle.
>>
>>56469362
It will probably have a little wiggle but not loose. Could be battery latches are broken (?)

If the wiggle bothers you, shim it with just a little strip of adhesive foam (kinda like weather stripping material).
>>
Is there any way I can buy the removed clit of a muslim woman and somehow preserve it and use it as the cap to my track point?
>>
>>56469912
eBay
>>
Should i cop?http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220-12-5-Ultrabook-Intel-Core-i5-2-5GHz-4GB-320GB-VGC-Warranty-/122109684582?hash=item1c6e4deb66:g:YPIAAOSwFV9XxwrW
>>
>>56470142
>300€
>4GB
>not IPS
>320GB HDD not SSD
only if you want to get cucked. i paid less than 250€ for X230 with IPS and 8GB RAM.
>>
Is this the right kind of battery to put in an X220, or is there a better option?
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-0a36307-Extended-Battery-Laptop/dp/B0085MPIG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473263692&sr=8-1&keywords=thinkpad+9+cell+battery+x220
>>
File: tplug.jpg (26KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tplug.jpg
26KB, 500x500px
>>56448171
What is the verdict on after market chargers?
Should I get one for my X230? Are there any recommendations?
>>
File: DSC_0023.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0023.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>56448171
I was getting sick of this stupid "le may may classic keyboard" meme so I replaced it with the glorious illuminated one. Did I do good, gee?
Also
>9cell battery
>ericsson WWAN module
>3M carbon fibre foil incoming tommorow

Daily reminder: T430 is the ONLY master race thinkpad.
>>
>>56469661
Yep, this. For me it was Bluetooth module triggering power saving feature. It whined like motherfucker. Hardware manager/properties/let this device something or other
>>
>>56470441
>nvidia
spotted the jew
>>
>>56470441
>a fucking meme for babbys who can't touch type
>glorious
kek
>>
>>56470441
>kingston ssd
>two ssds
KYS
>>
>>56450309
weeb shit

>>56462102
but why

>>56470441
kys
>>
>>56462102
I think you misspelled homOSeX
>>
>>56470794
Could you please leave this board, you fucking tripfagging little shit?
Don't you receive enough attention in real world?
Just fuck off, nobody wants you here
>>
>>56470337
its the best one
>>
>>56461317
Its Kali Linux
>inb4 1337 hackermanz

Mine was missing the DVD drive, HDD, really beat and scraped up LCD cover and the corner piece by the HDD bay snapped so the base kept hanging a bit.
>>
>>56471392
Z0mg h4x0r1337 m4n3
>>
>>56449835
>X40
never
>>
>>56470683
>le touch type maymay
kys
>>
So much Windows 10 cancer in this thread
>>
File: thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg (44KB, 500x406px) Image search: [Google]
thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg
44KB, 500x406px
>>56466604
yes, absolutely
i can get 17-18 hours of battery life with the 6-cell + internal

i picked this machine mainly for its insane battery performance and it does not disappoint
>>
>>56455132
there are two screws on the back, connecting the hinges to the chassis. Try tightening them, if you haven't already.

I thought I was going to have to replace my hinges, but tightening the screws "fixed" them.
>>
>>56471987
upset 10 WPM single index finger user detected
>>
>>56454593
Is there a way to fix these white spots?
>>
I don't play games on my computer and don't want to buy another laptop for as long as possible. however, I also don't want my laptop to be massively thick. can it be done?
>>
>>56475860
x230
>>
>>56476128
Thanks Mr. Anon.
>>
>>56476500
Or alternatively, t430, which is bigger and a bit thicker.
>>
File: dustpad.jpg (86KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
dustpad.jpg
86KB, 620x465px
Why do I gotta be so distrustful and miss out on great deals all the time?
Past few days: x230 for ~$200, x201i for ~$120, x220 for ~$200 and x220 with dock for ~$220 off the Craigslist equivalent in this forsaken country (euro prices, mind you).
All in cities too far away for me to go and pick up and seeing as I don't trust sellers enough and can't afford to lost the money no good deals for me... sucks living in a small city.
End of personal blog, just had to vent, sorry.
>>
Was this a decent deal? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191963706413

E4300, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, "Superb" condition, backlit keyboard, all accessories, approximately $140

Just going to be using it for basic work at uni
>>
Hey /tpg/

Im at uni and no longer have my at home workstation cause it was way to big to fit in my tiny ass room. I have a rMBP 2015 but its a fucking meme. I would like to keep it for school and get a thinkpad for fucking around. I need 8 gigs of ram and at least an i5 or the amd equivalent. I have about 500$ what do?
>>
>>56479065
T420/W520 and eGPU setup
>>
>>56479065
T430 / X230
dont bother with _220s they are too old and inferior in every aspect except keyboard which can be replaced.
>>
>>56478860
Sounds reasonable to me. I honestly only trust ebay sellers with decent record.
>>
>>56479129
>>56479161
Thanks m8s
>>
>>56478880
>>56479172
Was that in reply to me?

I can find it for slightly cheaper but the other listings were all worse condition or needed batteries/parts replacing, photos for this one look like it's barely been used, seller has 119 positive feedback and 0 negative so should be okay
>>
>>56467237
i use my t420 to edit videos. it's not great, but usable. i have os x installed and used final cut for a while, but switched to premiere because i like the ui more. you can install a second hard drive with a caddy and save the media cache files there for better performance in premiere
>>
>>56470441
Wait, are the Lenovo and T430 logos illuminated too?
>>
>>56479172
Yeh. Especially when you can't afford to lose the money. There is a difference between being able to spare the money to buy something and being able to lose it.

>>56479245
No, was for me, the guy he linked to honey.
As for your question: can't help much since I don't know anything about Dell sorry. Thinkpad and Elitebooks I can help somewhat (different prices for different countries).
For basic uni-work almost anything made in this millenia will do though. That being said, I'd personally not go any older than 1st gen i-core CPU.
>>
>>56479545
Was double checking
>>
>>56479308
No?
>>
>>
I bought a t400 for $40, did I do well?
>>
>>56478860
Those keycaps makes me really uncomfortable for some reason.
>>
>>56480917
If it's in good condition - yeah.
>>
>>56481031
Nope, one of the usb ports is busted and the guy doesn't specify how much memory the hard drive has but says "it's not the original". I was going to use it as a shitty laptop for travelling but if I can turn a profit, I might just sell it on ebay.
>>
do thinkpads running linux typically have wifi that just werks?
>>
>>56481913
If your distro of choice ships with nonfree drivers, yes. They all use Intel cards, which aren't easily replaced due to a BIOS whitelist.
>>
>>56481997
what about usb wifi adapters? specifically for debian
>>
I just got an X220 from ebay, it's at 91% battery and says 1hr and 57 min. Is this really all the battery life it has?
>>
>>56481913
Both of mine (old and new) do.

Also Linux community is quite tuned to Thinkpads.
>>
>>56482038
Batteries are consumption goods.
Buy a new one.
>>
>>56482038
battery is worn out m8
>>
>>56480917
Condition?
>>
Anything more I can do to help battery life after installing TLP, tp_smapi, tpacpi_bat? Going to install PHC tomorrow for overvolting and ThinkFan as well
>>
>>56482226
>>56481156
>>
How long does a "new" t400 9cell battery last?
>>
>>56482238
>overvolting
I mean undervolting, phew
>>
>>56482270
Battery wear is very unpredictable.
But it should be good for at least 12 months.
>>
>>56482250
If it's still cosmetically in good shape you can flip it if you at least plug 4GB Ram and a decent HDD.

I've seen a lot of high price thinkpads because they have Windows 10 and don't look beat up.

Libreboot t400 laptops are worth more than win10s and run 250-400ish so if you wanna flip them for max profit do that. I bought a t400 lot, refurbished the working ones, and now plan on flipping my spares.
>>
why does the keyboard feel so good bros??

I just got one myself and I love to shitpost with this keyboard
>>
File: 1470547144730.png (247KB, 634x671px) Image search: [Google]
1470547144730.png
247KB, 634x671px
Man. I love my x220T, but I kinda wanna sell it and get a newer model like the x250 for a lighter computer with better battery life. This thing has been murder on my back and sometimes I have to carry the cord with me on a longer day.

Thoughts? I'm just intimidated by the shitty keyboard. Anything else I should know?
>>
>>56482692
>x220t
>1,78kg
>murder on my back

I think the problem is not the laptop, anon...
>>
>>56482754
N-no Bully

Well I shouldn't say it's the laptop alone - I carry a lot of things other than the computer. But adding it to my usual load of notebooks and other garbage certainly makes a huge difference, so I wouldn't mind trying to cut some of that weight down if it meant getting a better laptop experience anyways.
>>
Any advice on a stripped screw? It's the one that holds the msata SSD in place ;_:
>>
I have come across a x220 i7 board that doesn't appear to have USB 3.0. According to wiki, i7 models have USB 3.0. What gives?
>>
where do you guys buy your thinkpads?
>>
>>56482862
get fit you manlet
>t. carry travelling backpack up to 60kg without bigger problems
>>
Just bought a x260. Thoughts?
>>
$240 for a T410 with 8GB ram and 500GB hard drive, or $310 for a T430 with 8GB ram and a 320GB hard drive?
>>
>>56483411
The T430 sounds like a much better deal senpai so unless you are into the keyboard but at that point meet in the middle for a T DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
Anyone here get an x220 slice battery? Should I get one? I'm running arch on my x220 with a 6 cell and I can only get like 3 or so hours of pretty light internet browsing and shit.
>>
>>56482410
I don't think there's any hope of refurbing it within budget, he should just try selling it as it is.
>>
So is T420 the last keyboard with trackpoint and 7 row or did I miss something?
>>
>>56455664
>>56455872
I really want an eGPU for my thinkpad to replace my gaming laptop. Does the cpu bottleneck the performance of the video cards? I currently have the Thinkpad x220 and would choose to egpu a 980 or 970.
>>
Can I replace the screen for my T430? I want a bigger resolution. Is there anything good and /g/ aproved?

Also, time for new thread?
>>
>>56483996
I'm running a quad core T420 and for me it doesn't. The ExpressCard x1 bottleneck is more noticeable but even then it's not that much.

Dunno about the dual cores though.
>>
can i make my thinkpad output to a television screen as the monitor, and plug an external keyboard and mouse into it for input? would the resolution be horrible?
>>
Does anyone know how to connect my T420 to my TV?
I only have component and HDMI inputs
>>
>>56475860
The "muh thin" of ThinkPads is the X1 Carbon line. Just avoid the 2nd generation, the keyboard is an abortion. 1, 3, and 4 are fine.
>>
>>56484128
get a displayport adapter or displayport -> hdmi cable
>>
>>56462864
stupidly expensive it seems
what does the recertified meme even stand for besides a marketing buzzword?
Are the components new? Is there a warranty?
>>
>>56465667
>>>/v/
>>
I want to buy some touchpad stickers from aliexpress for my w520, but i only find t420 stickers, are they the same size as the w520?
pls respond
>>
>>56479161
This is true except for two points:
>if you MUST have wireless AC or some other nonstandard use for the mPCIe slot because the X220 still has an unsigned moddable de-whitelisted BIOS
>You're autistic about the caps lock light (inb4 that fag with the custom microcontroller)
>>
Is there any way to get rid of the touchpad on a x220?
Thread posts: 340
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.