[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The dell xps 13.. I want, but Im worried I want this for the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1

File: dell-xps-13-nw-g01.jpg (91KB, 775x500px) Image search: [Google]
dell-xps-13-nw-g01.jpg
91KB, 775x500px
The dell xps 13..

I want, but Im worried I want this for the wrong reasons. I bike back to and from college, so I like the idea of an ultralight laptop with high resolution (non-touch). Dont travel much, but in the next 2-5 years I will probably travel quite often (finishing phd). But this is a thousand dollar laptop when I have a desktop in my office and a desktop at home seems like too much on my budget. Linux at work and generally windows at home for gaming/goofing off, so the laptop would be a linux-only boot so i can ssh in to run code from home and be able to leave my office to go somewhere else to work when Im in my office(basement office with no windows gets wearing).
>>
>>56443361
>$1000 for a laptop you will be using for hours every day over the course of several years is too much
poorfag
>>
>>56443361
Got one for grad school this year. It's not touch screen, it's not a gaming laptop, it's not a quarter of an inch thick. It's just a really solid, ultra-portable laptop. I recommend if that's what you want.
>>
>>56443361
Yeah I think the xps13 exceeds your needs.

Get a chromebook and install whatever Linux distro you like since you'll be ssh-ing into work
>>
>>56443409
See I was thinking the chrome book too, but I the work I do is computational, and sometimes I like to do quick tests to see if the input files/changes dont fail on runtime before I move them to other machines for the full run. Still viable?
>>
This is my main driver for work and play. I probably use it 50 hours a weak. My only regret? Not spending less. This 2k (or whatever 3200x1800 is) display is most definitely a meme. The chances of scaling ever working properly with every app is slim to none. I'm probably more likely to die in a plane crash. Beautiful display though.
>>
>>56443377
>several years
That will be outdated within 2 years and you know it
>>
>>56443522
>wahh I always need to have the newest shiny devices
>>
>>56443361
Get an used x230 or x230 with IPS screen, upgrade the RAM and put in a SSD if you want.
The only downside is the resolution of 1376x768, if you can live with that, you can get a laptop with similiar specs for less than half the price of a xps 13
>>
>>56443635
meant x220 or x230
>>
>>56443361

>I bike to work

I suggest you buy a car and get a netbook with any leftover money.
>>
>>56443668
>paying $6000 a year to drive when a bike works perfectly fine
oh vey!
>>
>>56443679

What are you, poor?
>>
>>56443770
>using a netbook
What are you, poor?
>>
How viable are chrome books?
>>
>>56443522
This is the main advantage of Macbooks I think. The XPS will be unusable trash in two years. Not so with a Macbook Pro.
>>
>>56443868
pretty viable
>>
>>56444040
Dude, they come out with a new Macbook every 6 months. Apples outdate themselves
>>
>>56443770
Biking around town is pretty frequently faster than driving since traffic is the bottleneck.

>>56443868
>Running chromeOS
Maybe enough for the most casual of use like a young student or your mother. They're not really meant to be primary machines though.
>Running linux
Pretty weak but functional as long as you don't expect anything demanding to be done fast. Make sure to research the model you're looking at thoroughly since some are finicky.
>>
>>56444055
Yes, but the old MacBooks are still good machines. An old windows laptop? Slow piece of shit.
>>
>>56444055
macbook pros haven't been updated in a year and a half. they're still the best machines out there. along with thinkpads.
>>
>>56443635
Don't fall for the thinkpad meme..
>>
>>56443439
Yes anon. Go for it
>>
>>56443361
Fuck I just remembered I was supposed to order the battery for a customers XPS 13.
Just remember parts are painfully hard to get for this.
>>
>>56443668
Maybe he live in a city where driving is not practical. Also A decent bike can easily go into the early thousands.
>>
>>56444183
I have an old asus laptop whose HDD broke and run linux on its 32 gb ssd. Still as fast as the day I got it 4 years ago. Don't attribute OS failures with hardware, last I checked Macs use the same Intel and Broadcomm (etc) parts that other machines use.
>>
Is there any reason not to get the xps 15?
>>
>>56444040
Why?
>>
>>56443635
you can get an XPS 13 2015 edition for $550 certified on Ebay

for half that your x220/30 will
>weight almost twice as much
>have about half the battery life
>have less about half the screen resolution
>have half the contrast and color accuracy
i mean it'll have a better keyboard and a trackpoint but that's about it

I honestly prefer just getting a good new thinkpad (you heard me) over the xps 13 but the dell is still a great laptop
>>
>>56446506
Price would be one factor, even though its realistically another few hundred dollars. I still have my first laptop, 15 in machine, 10 years old. Still kinda use it but the resolution is awful to do anything with mulitple windows. Mostly use it as a semi-portable pdf textbook reader. Never used smaller, so Im mildly worried 13 in screen is going to infuriate me.

>>56446292

I live like ~2 miles from campus. In the winter, it takes longer to warm the car up then it does to just bike in. Besides, nice to get a bit of exercise.
>>
>>56443361
I recommend the MacBook with Retina display
>>
>>56447096
So you bike to school and sweat and don't shower there or what? Sounds disgusting dude.
>>
>>56443361
>Linux
You don't want the XPS/5510. They don't even have sysrq keys.
>>
GUYS GUYS

DELL XPS 13 OR THINKPAD T460 OR THINKPAD X1 CARBON
>>
>>56447096
There's a sale on their website right now, combine that with a coupon and I can get one of the highest configurations for 2,150 CAD. Still expensive but for what you're getting it seems like a pretty good deal
>>
>>56447183
MacBook
>>
>>56447194
:^)
>>
>>56447183

X260 imo if you must buy new. Friend has an xps13 and it's really nice, however the keyboard was pretty shallow and lack of trackpoint drove me insane. X1 carbon is nice, too just expensive, and compared to other thinkpad models you can only upgrade the ssd. You can get a refurbished xps13 9350 for like $850 with good specs on ebay though.
>>
>>56443361
How is it a question. It's the best laptop of 2016, you'd be stupid not to get the XPS 13.
>>
>>56447130
How fat are you that you sweat while riding a >>56447183
bike casually?
>>
>>56443361
Just buy a new Chrome book every year
>>
>>56443361
Nothing wrong with what featureset you want, but you might want to reconsider the whole "buy something super fragile" thing
Can't you change laptop screens pretty easily? Unless something changed recently, you should be able to pop in an aftermarket screen on an older laptop (thinkpad maybe? toughbook wouldn't be a bad idea if you're biking to class) and get a better keyboard and good screen

chromebook is another good choice if you get rid of chromeOS, as long as you don't overpay for the pixel

>>56447706
southern colleges are fuckin hot, sweating is entirely acceptable in 90+, muggy weather
>>
>>56447358
can't buy refurbished. :(

x260. although great, is 12.5 inches, which is tiny. t460 has 14, and is pretty light as well...

i just need lightness and a good screen.
>>
>>56447729
>i just need lightness and a good screen.
Then you really can't beat the XPS 13. It's a 11" laptop with a 13" screen thanks to those amazingly small bezels.
>>
>>56448438
but it's expensive as fug. t460 on the other hand has a discount of like 30% (so about 750 dollarydoos)
>>
>>56443361
nigger get a macbook air
>>
>>56447162
I have a 5510 with Linux and it works absolutely fine even if it doesn't have a sysrq key.
>>
>>56446163
Lewis?
>>
>>56449164
John?
>>
>>56446776
Didn't know they were that cheap on ebay, in Europe they always go for at least used 850€ in good condition.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.