[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As I understand it, Google will soon "phase" flash

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 1472882549537.jpg (1MB, 1884x2202px) Image search: [Google]
1472882549537.jpg
1MB, 1884x2202px
As I understand it, Google will soon "phase" flash "out" of the internet.

So I guess my question is why and maybe you could fill me in on some of the more subtle results of such a shift.

Also, what is flash's successor?
>>
HTML5

Flash is proprietary and allows native code execution so its prone to vulnerabilities and malicious actors ruining everyone who uses its day.

Thats why it updates all the time, not new features but security patches.

TLDR: Flash is slow and insecure, html5 does it better without adobe
>>
File: 1472879974039s.jpg (3KB, 123x125px) Image search: [Google]
1472879974039s.jpg
3KB, 123x125px
>>56437724
What are some advantages we web-consumers have WITH flash?

This shit is never a 1 way street.
>>
>>56437702
They pulled it off their shit almost two years ago and added it as a reason for websites to come in lower in search rankings, same as websites that can't use HTTPS.

>>56437841
The advantages of flash were about 5-10 "remove code execution" vulnerabilities were patched per month in 2015 when everyone started kicking it before it died. Prior to that "browser hardening" meant disabling autorun flash.
>>
>>56437702
Flash is an ancient technology that was used for all sorts of shit that it really shouldn't have been.

Flash was made way back in the day by Macromedia as an animation tool, where you drew things, then used the typical formula of keyframes+tweening to animate. It also had Actionscript, an ECMAScript implementation, to allow for some interactivity (this is where flash games came from). The problem was, it had video support as well, and there wasn't really any better way to do that in a browser at the time. So it gained a massive foothold in the world of browser video.

Now, it's no longer necessary, since for the two main applications, games and video, browsers can do perfectly fine on their own, and in a way that is more efficient+more portable.

>>56437841
I'd say flash is probably better for a plain old animation, but even then it's not like you can't just turn it into a video. I think animated SVG is also a thing, so you don't even need flash for that anymore.
>>
>>56438854
The flash animation output is .swf, but what even supports .swf? If you're going to be putting your animations anywhere just export it as a video file and use a video player, you'll probably get much better playback.
>>
>>56440286
>what supports .swf
Flash player, and a couple third party reimplementations.
But the entire advantage is that in theory it can be displayed at any size since it's vector-based.
>>
>>56437841

You can enjoy every site being served with HTML5 DRM so that you can't block ads anymore. :)
>>
>>56440378
You can do that with html5 now, however the nice animation tools don't exist yet.
>>
File: 1471408717536.jpg (408KB, 672x960px) Image search: [Google]
1471408717536.jpg
408KB, 672x960px
r.i.p. in piece flash. you will not be missed one fucking bit.
>>
Good fucking riddance. I hate having to turn on flash to watch videos on the BBC; sometimes Youtube falls back to flash if HTML5 fails and I fucking hate that too. I leave the plugin disabled since it's a security nightmare, but it's incredible how many sites still use that garbage.
>>
>>56440542
HTML5 animation is bloat. The only reason to move away from Flash was video support. No one cared about Flash animations or games yet they crush any HTML5 alternative.
>>
>>56440611
>Youtube falls back to flash if HTML5 fails and I fucking hate that too

Stop using an outdated browser.
>>
>why
Flash is a proprietary add-on that isn't part of open web standards and has various security problems.

>what is flash's successor
HTML5, with (usually proprietary) JavaScript and, for some video, Encrypted Media Extensions. EME is soon to be a web standard for DRM and it can't be implemented with free software. Also I think Adobe has some control in EME as a gatekeeper of some sort but I forget how exactly.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/01/new-drm-boss-same-old-boss

So we're replacing an optional proprietary add-on by making proprietary software an official part of the web.
>>
>>56437702
Imagine being Pablo in that picture and having to be all like "damn, Hillary Clinton, you fuckin' fine, all sexy with your fridge body and horrific pudgy face. I would totally have sex with you." when all he really wants to do is fuck another 16 year old latina in Hillary's dressing room. Like seriously imagine having to be that mexican kid and not only open that door while Hillary Rodham Clinton flaunts her disgusting body in front of you, the light of the sun revealing her nipple piercings and cameltoe, and just stand there, time after time, while she slowly slogs out of her car. Not only having to tolerate her monstrous fucking vagina but her haughty attitude as everyone nearby tells her she's STILL GOT IT and DAMN, HILLARY CLINTON LOOKS LIKE *THAT*?? because they're not the ones who have to stand there and watch her pudgy fucking michelin man face sit flaccid and dull on her disgusting fridge body. You've been fucking nothing but a healthy diet of tight, brown latinas and later alleged cartel rape victims for your ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the slums in Mexico. You've never even seen anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you swear you can taste the sweat that's breaking out on her unshapely asscrack as she leaves it open while wearing those improperly fit sweatpants, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to get paid to stand there, open her car door, and revel in her "statuesque (for that is what she calls herself)" beauty, the beauty she worked so hard for 7 days a week in the previous months. And then she calls for another door to open, and you know you could kill every single person in this driveway before her security could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're a fucking mexican kid. You're not going to lose your future chauffeur career over this. Just bear it. Cringe your face and bear it.
>>
>>56440761
stale pasta
>>
>>56440455
They could do that with flash of they wanted to. I think the negative publicity is preventing that at least for the moment. Anti-adblocking is futile though because content can be copypasted or screen capped or recorded no matter what
>>
>>56437702
Why are you posting this picture here?
>>
>>56440640
I use Palemoon because Firefox is a joke and I need a lot of the features they removed in the name of progress.
>>
>>56440700
Not quite. EME is optional and by itself doesn't do anything. EME is simply an API like the NPAPI that the flash plugin uses. This API is used by special plugins that exist only to sign and verify content. Previously you would have needed the entire flash plugin even if you only needed that part. NPAPI is not sandboxed and has security and stability problems so using the flash plugin with NPAPI is not optimal. Adobe was the first provider of an EME plugin for Firefox but there are other plugins for other services. EME plugins are sandboxed and limited to one function which limits their attack surface but there might be content limited to specific plugins which might be limited to specific platforms
>>
>>56437702

why is that guy shopped
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.