[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking to go as barebones and minimal as possible of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: Arch-linux-logo.png (117KB, 2000x1499px) Image search: [Google]
Arch-linux-logo.png
117KB, 2000x1499px
I'm looking to go as barebones and minimal as possible of an OS, it sidebar do anything I don't need it to. It does exactly what i need, nothing more, nothing less.i m willing to take some time to adapt and learn, but I want it to be simple in a way which makes it fast and efficient. is arch the way to go?
>>
>>56432171
>It sidebar
Excuse my fucking shitty autocorrect.
>>
>>56432171
no, arch is not minimal
>>
Also, gentoofags, don't bother, you're filtered.
>>
>>56432195
Then what is?
>>
>>56432207
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution

sort by file size
pick one
>>
>>56432197

You're a fucking idiot. Try Windows 10.
>>
>>56432171
No. Get MS-DOS
>>
>>56432171
Gentoo
>>
File: spock_arch_wifi.jpg (170KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
spock_arch_wifi.jpg
170KB, 500x373px
>>56432171
>>
>>56432171
It sounds like Slackware might be what you need.
>>
>>56432826
>memegenerator botnet
>>
>>56432171
Use any distro with a net install option and install only what you need. Fedora, Ubuntu, and Debian can all do this.
>>
>>56432171
The real question is what do you need to be able to do?
>>
Cux... Pardon me, Crux Linux
>>
Do you know what is "necessary" to do what you want? I feel like the answer is no, cause you wouldn't be asking if you did. Just go install one of the for dummies Linux distros and fuck it up.
>>
>>56433774
Pretty much this OPie.

I've treid Debian, Arch and Ubuntu succesfully, and from all of these Arch being the lightest and Ubuntu being the best OOTB at net install.
Personally, i'd go for Ubuntu if you want something minimal but almost entirely usable, or Arch if you have the time for it.
>>
>>56432171
gen/funtoo are better choices if you want everything to only have exactly the functionality you need
LFS is the Final Destination(tm), but rather impractical unless your intention is to create a new distribution
OpenWRT is a good choice for making a tiny install, but it's only really suited for embedded purposes

i use arch myself, but not because it's barebones/minimal, as far as that goes my arch install isn't any more so than my ubuntu install i used before (built up from their rootfs tarball, much like you would install arch), i use it because it does what i want it to do, pacman is nice and fast, packages don't try to guess my intentions for me, the AUR has everything and their dog in it, packages are released soon after they become stable upstream etc, but the actual installed size and enabled functionality on the packages isn't much different to ubuntu
>>
>>56432171
LFS or Debian netinst. You could even do Ubuntu server and just not elect to install any of the additional packages.

At any rate, start with some kind of minimal distro and build it yourself from there. Arch is just one option and if you're not overly autistic, other methods will be less headache for more or less the same result.
>>
Arch really isn't a minimal distro, it dosen't split packages into devel/runtime and uses a gigantic init-system.

Look at Void, Crux, or Alpine.
>>
>>56432171
>I'm looking to go as barebones and minimal as possible of an OS

I N S T A L L . G E N T O O
>>
Literally Gentoo.
Why are you faggot normies so afraid of it?
>>
Etching for Debian mini.iso 32Mb?
>>
Arch is great, but I don't know if it's the most minimal. NixOS might also be worth checking out. I still use Arch, but I keep hearing good things about NixOS.
>>
>>56434324
>Arch really isn't a minimal distro, it dosen't split packages into devel/runtime and uses a gigantic init-system.
>keep it simple
employs systemd

>Look at Void, Crux, or Alpine.
this is a good selection, alpine for a low end box or lappy else crux or void, crux being my goto.
>>
>>56432171
why?
you could install an os that just werks
and use your spare time to lose weight, educate yourself or for job hunting
or learn how to cook
>>
Alpine Linux. As minimal and fast as they come.
>>
>>56432171
Manjaro

1. There is a minimal (~500 packages) install which already includes Xorg but no GUI. You literally pacman -S <window manager> to install your wm

2. It just werks, also no tedious Arch Way BS to worry about - no reason not to automate the process

3. Access to AUR

4. You get right to configuring the system, the fun parts. Setup things exactly the way you want
>>
>>56432213
Gentoo and LFS aren't even on that list
>>
>>56434626
Remember to set you clock back too so that you can access their website the next time they forget to renew the SSL certificate.
>>
>>56432171
>is arch the way to go?
no. just drop all that shit and go outside and get a fucking life
>>
>>56434652
Did it affect the repos? Why does this matter at all. Get the iso once and burn it. Good to go.
>>
Get Damn Small Linux.
>>
>>56434626
>Minimal = number of packages
Get a load of this guy.
>>
>>56434225
Arch compiles its binaries against every dependency the package devs build in.

It is not lightweight rather "minimal". For example, ubuntu minimal net install will take up less disk space than Arch, even though it may consist of slightly more packages.

Maybe that's what you're looking for instead?

>>56432213
This anon understands.
>>
>>56432171
Void linux if you truly want barebones
Not a fork, written from scratch http://www.voidlinux.eu/ or Slackware, which has been around since the early 90s.

If you want true simplicity and minimalism then you want OpenBSD as everything is dead simple, kept in /etc/, the default X is fvwm, all documentation is self contained with examples and there's no cancerous wiki with outdated documentation.

to learn you get a book. Go on nostarchpress and either get Absolute OpenBSD, or buy the Slackware book 2nd edition. If you want to stream video you use livestream.io to pipe it to VLC or something.
>>
>>56432171
/g/entoo is literally your best option.
>>
Arch is the sweet spot between minimalism and usability.
You can get Alpine and get an unusable piece of shit.
Or get debian where you start with minimal setup and get bloated over the time because of the retarded package manager.

Gentoo is okay but it takes away too much time.
>>
>>56436441
>Too much time

Wish this meme would die
>>
File: torvalds.jpg (16KB, 294x304px) Image search: [Google]
torvalds.jpg
16KB, 294x304px
>They fell for the Arch meme.
>>
This is one of the most obvious timesinks. why do only CS dropouts do this?

>anything I don't need it to
so it has some libs and apps you don't use, you can just leave them there, why are spergs so obsessed with this? there is literally no point in doing this.
>>
>>56432207
puppy linux
Damn small linux
>>
>>56432171
Arch is pretty good but see >>56434731
Arch is not the most minimal because of this.
I'd suspect that part of the reason say Ubuntu's net install has more packages but is more lightweight is because in the apt repos there are multiple packages of the same thing with different flags during compile time.
There are other reasons to use Arch, like rolling release and the AUR. Although I suppose you could use Debian sid instead if you want rolling release.
Ultimately Gentoo with portage gives you the most control as you get to use USE flags during compile time for maximum control and minimization. That would be best short of LFS.
I personally use Arch because I like rolling release and feel like the Debian and apt are a mess, and I don't want to have to compile like in Gentoo.
>>
>>56436804
I only recently realised this.

Extra apps that take up 10-15mb "o fuck must delete, all that space, no no get gone, I may have 995gb free space, but 15mb, oh fuck reeeeee reeeeeee"
>>
>>56432292
No.
>>56432309
What's that?
>>56434164
Basically all i need is a web browser, a text editor, and that's about it.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.