[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, I'm going to be taking a flight soon and was looking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: flight.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
flight.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
Hey /g/, I'm going to be taking a flight soon and was looking to bring my desktop with me. What is the best means of precaution when taking it on the plane.
>>
>>56428205
mail it by land to the place your going. Take the graphics card and maybe the heatsink out and keep it with you. as a carryon. If youre not a nigger or saudi they won't question it maybe.
>>
>>56428205
>>56428293
Brought a desktop in my luggage many times, carry on is preferrable, but if not, make sure to take all devices out of PCIe slots and be sure to pack a lot of soft things around your cabinet.
>>
>>56428205
Take the HDD out, and wrap it with clothes / something soft that will protect it against bumps etcetera. The laptop itself, put a new HDD in and a bait Windows setup, so you won't have any problems with security checking your computer and losing your data if it gets stolen. Carry a external drive caddy if you want to use your HDD in plane (boot from it, work on it etcetera) but be careful not to get it out of your bag (might get stolen)
>>
>>56428205
they throw your luggage with no precautions. I won't take it with me on the plane either since magnetism and gravity can fuck shit up.
I won't take a plane either because it apply to the human body.

Just take a train or a boat.
>>
HDDs in carryon, lock the case.
>>
>>56428293
No don't do this.
Just take it on carry-on.

I've been doing it for years. Yes it WILL be swabbed at security. This is perfectly normal.

Put it carefully in the overhead bin.

You will be fine.
>>
>>56428371
They do not care about it enough to a point where they will power it on. I have brought my machine through most major airports in the US and not once have they questioned its functionality.
>>
>>56428333
>>56428465
If I take out the Ram and the Graphics card what's the best way to store those components?
>>
>>56428483
You shouldn't need to take out the RAM.

If you want to store your graphics card differently, place in an antistatic bag and wrap it in clothes.
>>
>>56428402
Who let this guy out of the mental asylum?
>>
>>56428482
Hah, you sure?
>>
OP here
For those of you who travel, do you generally check your tower or bring it as carry on.
>>
>>56428543
Yes.
I have been bringing my desktop on flights (in a Bitfenix Prodigy case) for 5 years, typically 8-10 times a year.

Never once have they asked to power the machine on.

Every other time they'll want to swab the exterior, but that is the extent of their verification of it being a real computer.
>>
>>56428652
Do not check a computer unless you want it to be destroyed when you arrive at your destination. Airline rampers are not careful with baggage, regardless if you label something fragile.

Carry-on only, or ship it. Never check it.
>>
When time when I was walking out of the plane... they were taking the bags down.

One accidentally missed that one thing that brings them down and it fell all the way from the top.
>>
>>56428483
>If I take out the Ram and the Graphics card what's the best way to store those components?
Anti static bag and bring it with you in a bag or backpack. Also, don't take out the RAM.
>>
Use a Pelican case, either carry-on or checked. Leave the components (securely) installed.
>>
File: B8zJ0bTIAAAkPnf.jpg (12KB, 350x250px) Image search: [Google]
B8zJ0bTIAAAkPnf.jpg
12KB, 350x250px
>>56428205
Uh you don't get to bring desktops
>>
I have a somewhat similar question - do airport workers actually make you power on your laptop?

i've only been on one international flight so i don't know if i simply got lucky in that it didn't happen to me, or if they don't care.

i ask as i recently switched to ubuntu and decided to go ahead and use full disk encryption, and idk if that would put focus on me for further inspection if i had to power it on in front of people
>>
>>56428205
I've taken a desktop with me, US to Australia and back, no troubles at all. Pack it as you would for shipping.

But back up everything *before* you go. Fucking seriously, back up everything. Hardware is much easier to replace than data.
>>
File: cia_repeating.png (647KB, 1177x676px) Image search: [Google]
cia_repeating.png
647KB, 1177x676px
>>56428888
>8888
>>
>>56428900
>I have a somewhat similar question - do airport workers actually make you power on your laptop?

Not in domestic US. International may vary. Canadian customs are known to make you power on your device.
>>
>>56428900
>I have a somewhat similar question - do airport workers actually make you power on your laptop?
I've flown from Europe to the US 6 times the last year, and I've also flown domestically in the US, and to some European countries.

I've never been asked to power up my laptop even once, and my impression is that if they do it's just to see if it boots and isn't just a bomb in a laptop casing.
>>
>>56428205
as an advice, put as little "fragile" stickers in the box as possible.

handlers target those hard, and beat the crap out of them.

keep the hdd with you in your carryon
>>
>>56429268
>handlers target those hard, and beat the crap out of them.
Why are handlers such niggers? In my country there's actually been cases where people have (successfully) sued the airport when luggage has been damaged.
>>
>>56429285
Airlines have limited liability when it comes to damaged luggage. Wheels and whatnot, they'll typically pay for. Computers? Never. You sign a waiver when you check something fragile, or they don't let you check it at all.
>>
>>56429310
Think the US and EU have vastly different regulations and rules about this.

According to some EU regulation, airlines are liable for damaged luggage up to 5000 euros IIRC.
>>
>>56428888
was getting quads a part of your plan?
>>
File: 1473020266226.jpg (52KB, 600x604px) Image search: [Google]
1473020266226.jpg
52KB, 600x604px
>>56428205
Just bring a laptop you dumb cunt.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.