[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

should I even bother going to school for programming if im too

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1462978863194.jpg (31KB, 849x636px) Image search: [Google]
1462978863194.jpg
31KB, 849x636px
should I even bother going to school for programming if im too dumb for math

i need to stop being a neet and get a degree
>>
>>56415293

>programming if im too dumb for math

Just join a collective that complains about sexism and oppression in technology. Has worked for thousands raking in 6 figure incomes without needing to write a spec of code.
>>
You don't need math for programming.
>>
>>56416078
Explain how? Seriously.
>>
>>56415293
>im too dumb for math
There is literally no such thing. You're just too lazy.
>>
>>56416178
>what is IQ
At least you tried.
>>
tech is over saturated and outsourced. theyre going to give your job to some fat tumblr whale anyway. if youre not great, youre probably not going to get a lot out of it.
>>
>>56416159
You really only need basic arithmetic, and even then it's not a big deal. Yes, there are programs that need to be written that use lots of math, but that's not all software. And when it is, there are libraries that do it, or it's just a matter of reading the formula and copying it to code.

That being said, I once tutored a friend for his programming courses who, when I asked for how to add a number to a variable, answered that he could increment it that number of times in a loop...
>>
Depends. In general, yes, but not as much as you think.

If you're doing high-level programming, then you probably won't need anything. If you're doing low-level programming, you'll need a lot. If you're doing video game development, you'll need A LOT. As in a lot. As in most of it is math. That is if you want to do anything useful with the game you're making. Or even mildly useful.

That being said, aside from game development, most of the math will be done for you. You'll just have to implement it.

You're not bad at math. No one is bad at math. Stop putting yourself down. This is why you're an autistic NEET. You pessimistic kike. You're bad at things, first because you're lazy, second because it's something that's not interesting and/or boring to you. If you go in with a negative mindset on something, it's only going to make it worse. And the more inclined you'll be to give up and do something for instant gratification like playing games like a manchild.

If you enjoy programming, you'll enjoy math too and you'll be good at it because it'll be something you want to do since it'll help you in your goals. Also, programming is a tool. A means to an end. Don't think just because you know how to program that things will work out for you. It's how you use the knowledge and what results from it. No one cares how good of a programmer you are if you can't make anything with it. OR you can be a codemonkey, but ehh... Kind of wasting your potential in one of the only fields where you can literally do anything you can imagine in my opinion.

Easy money though if you just freelance. Also, saged for making a thread about being autistic.
>>
read a maths book then go, because its actually worth doing something.

you dont need math to learn programming fundamentals -- but you'll see alot of arithmetic in code for certain things, depending on the code.
but for actual math, people skilled at math can be pickup a language much quicker since they have that strong problem solving background, which
is ideal for programming.

but as a complete beginner, you have to build that up, something like python you can use modules, or if you're making some webapp to format
input or store, you really dont need math. but if you're doing C/C++ and working on some OS dev project, it's very ideal to be good at math and to be
able to implement algorithms and as well others algorithms.
>>
>>56415314
op didn't say he/she was a woman or a minority though
>>
>>56415293
No one is too dumb for math, unless they're legitimately handicapped.
>>
>>56416473
This post is bullshit.

https://twitter.com/id_aa_carmack/status/688920593584934912

If you can do basic math like a high schooler you can do game programming.
>>
>>56418308
I had two years of calculus in high school, other people only did pre algebra, and algebra 1. His statement is so vague you can't take any meaning from it.
>>
>>56415293
huh... funny thing. For me it's the other way around. I'm really confident in my math skills, went to competitions in middle and high school and all that, but I kinda suck at programming. I'm not terrible at it, but most people I work with are better, by which I mean they are much faster. I just can't get rid of the habit of overthinking things.
>>
>>56418327
His statement implies the hardest math he uses is high school calculus, which is insanely simple. It's not vague. It means the hardest thing you will ever need is high school calculus. If you watch his talks where he describes rendering, you will quickly realize that is the case.
>>
Someone has to know some serious linear algebra to do anything useful in numerical computing or game development.

That someone doesn't have to be you, necessarily.
>>
>>56418380
>Serious linear algebra
>Cross product, dot product, addition and subtraction of vectors

heh
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.