[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I wanna build a pc for my sister She doesn't game but needs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

I wanna build a pc for my sister
She doesn't game but needs to render/edit videos and might do some light music production
Does she need a goyforce gpu or would a skylake/kabylake i7 gpu be enough?
>>
>>56413176
Sounds like an APU wouldn't be a bad choice if she wants to save some money
>>
Budget?
>>
Get an I7 6850k and overclock it to about 5.7Ghz using the Corsair Corsair H100i liquid cooler and a few case radiators and then get dual GTX 1080s OR a single Titan X (pascal) and about 32gb minimum of DDR4 ram at atleast 4266mhz though 64gb is preferable. your motherboard should be something like an ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha to avoid VRM-chocking. Do all that and you should be good with some minor dips here and there when editing videos. should be able to handle some light-mid gaming too.
>>
>>56413263
Would it dramatically increase performance?
Budget should be about 800 at the most
>>
>>56413176
It's over $800, but a friend of mine built this for some CorelDraw / Photoshop / Premiere work.

Adjust to your needs, but the benefit of GPU acceleration in Adobe stuff is decent.
>>
>>56413926
Oops.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/PgwBjc
>>
>>56413588
An a10 has 12 compute cores, it should be better than an i3 but not an i5 or i7 with a dedicated gpu
>>
>>56413176
post pics of sister
>>
>>56414009
>12 compute cores
Lol
>>
>>56414064
HSA is becoming a thing now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterogeneous_System_Architecture

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10387/hsa-11-specification-launched-multi-vendor-support

This will only get worse for intel as Zen APUs comes out. Why do you think inteo has been cramming so much GPU on their CPU dies?
>>
>>56414009
>>56413588
I'm not sure exactly how they compare when rendering stuff
I haven't had a APU to play around with but from my experience rendering videos with CUDA/openCL is miles better than any CPU based rendering
>>
>>56414261
>I'm
>from my experience rendering videos with CUDA/openCL is miles better than any CPU based rendering
No it's not. It sure is faster but not better. In fact file size or quality is fucking dogshit with hardware video encoding. It's the equivalent of encoding with the ultra fast preset and baseline profile in H264.

The only real purpose for hardware video encoding is for phones to be able to record video with their shitty 5W TDP overheating SoCs.
>>
>>56414318
the fuck are you talking about
you set the same quality in vegas and it takes a slightly shorter time rendering with cuda
>>
>>56414337
>you set the same quality in vegas and it takes a slightly shorter time rendering with cuda
It does but either you get a larger file size or lose quality. It's just literally impossible to encode video with good quality at most bit rates with HVE compared to SVE. It has to to with the kind of math CPUs and GPUs can do.

However if you're using an absurdly high bitrate then it won't matter if you use SVE. This is why phone video looks good, things like 1080p are recorded at 20+ Mbps.

Anyway if you give a shit about compression ratio then you would use the slow preset and high profile with H264 in SVE. It gives you like 10X the compression efficiency as the ultra fast preset + baseline profile.
>>
>>56414241
Nigga 4 cores are for CPU and the other 8 are for graphics
>>
>>56414455
>Nigga 4 cores are for CPU and the other 8 are for graphics
Yes I know but programs today are starting to use the CPU AND GPU. HSA makes doing this easier and AMD markets it by saying "X compute cores".

Anyway with the diminishing returns we are getting from CPUs it seems that GPUs may be the future. CPUs will still be utilized but the grunt of the work will be done on GPUs.
>>
>>56414064
Yes.

8 gpu, 4 cpu, capable of working in together.

Ever heard of HSA?
>>
Get a used/refurb Dell precision (T7500 or the like) with dual xeons and stuff it with memory and disks for like $200-500. Throw in a ~$100 used GPU from the last 6 years; GTX 770s are priced around that and offer a lot of value. Gives you up to 12 cores, more RAM than you'll ever need and plenty of pcie x16 ports for doing random shit with.

GPU doesn't matter much for video encoding, but for rendering Adobe stuff it can make a difference with GPU effects. Usually not much though, and you hit diminishing returns quickly since the majority of most renders are still CPU bound.

Also used ECC RAM is cheap as fug, less than $1/GB on some modules, and RAM in general has a stupid low failure rate. Use it.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.