[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's stopping you from cracking open your laptop battery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: li-cells.jpg (542KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
li-cells.jpg
542KB, 1600x1200px
What's stopping you from cracking open your laptop battery and replacing the Li-ion cells directly instead of buying an overpriced battery replacement (or cheap Chinese replacement that will die within a year)?
>>
Your shoddy worksmanship exploding your balls off within a week
>>
Lack of knowledge and skill
>>
File: tdy_mor_hoverboard_151214.jpg (691KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tdy_mor_hoverboard_151214.jpg
691KB, 1920x1080px
Lithium ion batteries are dangerous, they can actually explode and catch on fire if you fuck up. It's not as simple as connected a positive and negative wire onto it.
>>
The controller counting the number of charges is.
>>
>>56409380
>unwrapped 18650

You touch anything metal to that and that shit is gonna vent then you'll be bitching about how batteries are unsafe and should be made safer.
>>
>>56409380
there are hardware safeguards for modern batteries like the Thinkpad making it difficult to do this properly without damaging the controller irreparably.

Also >>56409463
>>
I've got no problem pulling the cells out of a laptop battery and using them as individual cells, but I'm not about to try to rebuild the laptop battery, probably forking up the controller in the process
>>
The fact that I could buy a new laptop that requires much less power, and thus do much better by my battery bank, instead of messing with something I know nothing about.
>>
>>56409380
Because the casing doesn't just open.

You have to destroy it to get access to the cells.

I've got a box of about 150 18650s I've salvaged from laptop batteries, they're a real bastard to crack open.
>>
>>56409622
What do you do with them, what's the point of salvaging so many?
>>
you'll cowards can't even change a battery
>>
>>56409651
I've been putting some of them into those 8 cell battery banks and using them for electronics projects and stuff.

I'm not really sure what to do with them all, I was planning to make an electric bike a while ago and use them to make the battery. Don't have the time for that anymore though.
>>
Because I don't have a spot welder small enough for 18650s, and i don't want to use a soldering iron unfit for the job.
>>
It's a mess. I actually tore down a laptop battery yesterday, to salvage the cells (all of which turned out to be fine even if the battery didn't work...). But to put it back together with different cells? A nightmare.

First of all I had to practically destroy the casing to open it, so even if I could maybe duct tape it together it won't fit well in the laptop. Secondly there is glue everywhere, thirdly it is hard to get the tabs off the cells without damaging the wires going between them and to the control board and also the temperature sensors that are superglued to the cells.

And also cells that aren't designed to be put into larger packs like this will usually have a type of metal like aluminum as the battery contacts that are very hard to solder anything to reliably.

Spare laptop batteries are dirt cheap on ebay, just not worth it to DIY.
>>
File: 1390732469076.jpg (205KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1390732469076.jpg
205KB, 900x675px
This is related

I have never seen an external mobile battery for laptops. Is there such a thing? Doesn't Stallman own something like this? Would love to have one so I can charge the laptop while it's in a bag
>>
>>56409380
The fact that I need all my flat-top 18650s for vaping.

And my button-top 18650s I need for my work flashlights.
>>
>>56409380
Tried it once, solder was to too thick between the 18650s so it didn't fit back in the case. Spot welder is a must.
>>
>>56409380
>What's stopping you

Planned obsolescence
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.