[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to be pointed in the right direction. I just don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: tarball.png (110KB, 650x294px) Image search: [Google]
tarball.png
110KB, 650x294px
I need to be pointed in the right direction. I just don't even know enough about this stuff to begin to know where to start looking.

Basically, I'm putting together a business plan for something that will require me to be able to host very large files (2+ gig) and in large amounts (at any point, at least 800 TB hosted). Individual files will just be available to individual users (so I won't have to worry about 100 users all trying to get the same file at the same time, but I will have to worry about 100 users trying to get 100 different files at the same time, which from my limited understanding can be more of a problem) . From everything I'm seeing, the most economical way to do this will be to get business class internet and host it myself. I prefer a web interface for end users to download files because I can't count on my customers being tech savvy enough for FTP...

All I want to know is what do I need to be looking for on the hardware and software sides? Just any kind of server/hosting stuff? Or are there more specific options for this kind of application?
>>
>>56394991
bump...just looking for some search terms or even to just be pointed at a website to read if nothing else
>>
nice try, Kim
>>
>>56395648
It's actually for getting ultra high resolution drum scans of negatives to customers.
>>
>>56395680
pretty sure anyone who 'needs' this service is doing classified work and has their own nikon film scanner.

you really won't need shit. just look up "telecommunications quality of service" and add more servers as a frontend / cloudflare to your main 'file server' which if using even cheap sata, won't really even matter since the upload links can't saturate a sata controller. ( unless you're actually using 100 people contiguous, in which case you will be paying like $10,000 a month for at&t's OC connections and your business model is fucked.
>>
>>56395838
>pretty sure anyone who 'needs' this service is doing classified work and has their own nikon film scanner.
Nope, people who shoot 4x5, 8x10, 6x17, etc. large format often don't also have their own way of digitizing their images.

>unless you're actually using 100 people contiguous,
Likely it'll never be more than 5-10.

Thanks for the info though.
>>
>>56394991
sent. :)
>>
>>56395680
What's effective res increase over something like an Epson $200 scanner?
>>
>>56394991
If you want to do it right, build the server(s) and colo. You can get a full rack for a decent price in most places.
>>
>>56394991
>business class internet and host it myself.
DO NOT do this.

What most carriers classify as "business class" is barely above residential.
>>
>>56395984
That's actually a difficult question to answer directly -- basically because flatbed makers twist their definition of achievable dpi to such an extent that their maximum resolution numbers are effectively a lie. There are also some other considerations that make drum scanning preferable (like how wetmounting for a drum scan helps hide film scratches and gives more accurate tonalities to what the film was on)...but for the majority of users, a $200 Epson is more than enough, but most people are also not printing at sizes larger than 8x10 on a regular basis.
>>56396017
That's kind of my intent.
>>56396041
I might not have a choice in that. If you get service as a business entity, you're often forced into using only the business plans.
>>
>>56396091
>I might not have a choice in that. If you get service as a business entity, you're often forced into using only the business plans.
Colo gets you a carrier-grade connection, if you can afford a fiber run you can get enterprise service. Overall colo is the best option.
>>
>>56396627
Reading up on it, it definitely does, especially since it means I can outsource the setting up/making the damn thing work, which leaves me more time to do the shit I'm actually good at.

Thanks a ton.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.