[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GNOME dev here. Can't say I agree with "beats all other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

File: Gnomelogo-footprint.svg.png (22KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
Gnomelogo-footprint.svg.png
22KB, 768x768px
GNOME dev here. Can't say I agree with "beats all other GUI efforts in all of computing" - I still think webOS beats us in usability, and if it weren't for how far it fell, I wouldn't mind doing a mobile version of the DE :-D I'm glad people like GNOME, though - it may seem organized on the outside, but internally it plays out more like a fan project or something.

More to the point, however, I feel there's a bit of truth to this post. There's no real reason to use Linux other than "you like it" - sure, there are good aspects to it, but when it comes to OSes, there's no reason to use one over the other. We promote FOSS development because we believe in the philosophies behind it; however, imo it shouldn't be a dealbreaker when talking about software. I got to meet RMS a few years back, and while I appreciate his enthusiasm, I don't agree with him on this point.

HOWEVER, if there is a reason to use Linux, it's the headerbar concept. If you're not familiar with this, its a combined titlebar and menubar that GNOME uses on most of its core apps. It saves space for the actual content of the app to use and forces devs to focus on the core important pieces of their application when designing an interface. It's been copied in so many other OSes, but I feel only Linux users get the true, primal headerbar experience.

There's a user on DeviantArt I follow who does nothing but headerbar concept art, and I can say with certainty it truly shows the power of this amazing technology and its impact on society as a whole. We can do a lot with headerbars, and if we use them correctly, they can do a lot for us. too.

Why, my disabled wife wouldn't be able to use the computer to post her fanart if it wasn't for the simplified design of the GNOME Web browser, Epiphany. She's always found Chrome and Firefox's interfaces to be too unyieldy to use as a onehanded woman.

I hope I've done some good here, and please try GNOME!
>>
I already use GNOME.
>>
>>56394684
And by GNOME I mean GNOME 3.
>>
>>56394663
I already saw this post in another thread.
Please respect rule #6: http://www.4chan.org/rules
Thank you.
>>
>>56394704
This.
>>
>>56394663
Why do you break themes with each release?
>>
>>56394663
Actual question: will you ever add desktop icons support and tray applet icons back into the wayland session? You're breaking usability, and specifically speaking of the tray applet, you're deprecating it without giving an actual alternative.
>>
>>56394663
Just wanted to say that I appreciate what you're doing. Keep it up Thank
>>
>>56394663
What were You thinking when GNOME ditched the iconic system settings application design, and went for absolute basic-tier design?
>>
>>56395199
>>56394879
Can't you put that stuff back in?
>>
>>56394663
Gnome is for gnomy people with four fingers.
>>
>There's a user on DeviantArt I follow who does nothing but headerbar concept art

What?

>HOWEVER, if there is a reason to use Linux, it's the headerbar concept.

What?

>It's been copied in so many other OSes

What?

ITT: ""gnome dev"" gets a hard-on about header bars
>>
>>
i think we have a new copypasta, boyzzzz
>>
So I see you're running GNOME! You know, I'm actually on KDE myself. I know this desktop environment is supposed to be better but, you know what they say, old habits, they die hard...
>>
I'd like to interject for a moment. What you are refering to as GNOME, is in fact GNOME/headerbar, or as I recently taken to call it, GNOME+headerbar...
>>
>>56395892
kek'd audibly
this meme is the only good thing to come out of mr. robot
>>
glorious
>>
>>56394663
Where's the god damn thumbnails in the GTK file picker? It's a fundamental feature. Get real.
>>
will this achieve meme status
>>
>>56394663
>>56394663
>Nautilus
-Can't make new files
-Can't embed terminal like Dolphin
-Doesn't have plugin manager
-Doesn't have options for connecting to servers (FTP/WEBDAV/SSH/...)
-Doesn't have miller columns (See pantheon)
-Column view?

>GNOME Shell
-For fucks sake make please dash-to-dock built-in (whether into the main gnome-control-center or gnome-tweak-tool)
-Can't refresh desktops
-Massive (MASSIVE) icons in desktop, can't resize them. Wayland session can't even show desktop icons [bug]

>GNOME Mplayer (Totem)
-Where is the control panel again?

>gtk3 file picker dialog
-INFAMOUS no thumbnail resize
-Not all sub-directories will even show thumbnails (Over NFS, preview enabled)
-WHERE DID THE NFS BOOKMARKS GO?
-Dropdown menu vanishes and you gotta hold mousekey for the menu to stay

>GNOME google drive (whatever you call it)
-Can't drag and move directories
-Can't delete directories
-Where are GMail notifications?

I can understand you are short handed but what's the point of removing features? The only thing that's not making people adopt KDE and forget about GNOME is their unstability. However KDE's stability is slowly getting better IMHO and you gotta show some real work before getting extinct now that cinnamon and budgie is out
>>
File: 1468765924376.jpg (265KB, 1170x900px) Image search: [Google]
1468765924376.jpg
265KB, 1170x900px
>>56395892
>>
File: 240.png (120KB, 240x240px)
240.png
120KB, 240x240px
>>56394663
is your grill still able to give sloppy handjobs with one hand or does she mash it?

verify your identity or GTFO
>>
Why can't gnome just have half of the KDE functionality?
>>
File: Wxrw3.png (59KB, 624x351px)
Wxrw3.png
59KB, 624x351px
>replying to bait
>replying to pasta

>>56394663
>Can't say I agree with [...]

because it's blatantly false

>though - it may seem organized on the outside

no, the gnome project absolutely does not seem organised, it seems like amateur hour where the agenda is fucking up users expectations and workflows

>We promote FOSS development because we believe in the philosophies behind it

however you also subscribe to the philosophy of shitting over established ux design and blaming the users when it's not well received, if it weren't for the fact that the majority of gnu/linux devs absolutely suck at ux design I'd assume you were doing this maliciously rather than you just being plain incompetent

>HOWEVER, if there is a reason to use Linux, it's the headerbar concept.
>It saves space for the actual content of the app

the headerbar concept is fucking awful and sums up the gnome/gtk design philosophy perfectly: make something look subjectively good, break ALL expectations that users may have such as being able to somewhere to DRAG the window, if I wanted to use shortcuts to DRAG A FUCKING WINDOW I'd use a tiling wm and not have to suffer the pains that is stacking wms -- see pic related, where the fuck are you supposed to click to drag the window outside of the few pixels between headerbar elements

never mind that using less space is a lie, it makes sense on browsers and text editors where you have a lot of buttons and typical menu items displayed prominently (address bar, tabs, navigational buttons) but for every other program it's about 48px vertically which scales with dpi which is absolutely unnecessary on something like a simple text editor which doesn't need a menu bar

it's fucking shameful how prominent gnome is because of a few choice distros adopting it because it's honestly one of the worse DEs I've ever used - and I'm currently suffering through KDE5 with a million fucking bugs that make it not enjoyable to use
>>
It's like an OS X that forgot to take its Ritalin.
>>
>>56397254

remember when nautilus and the gtk file picker removed the option to show hidden files from the context menu "because it was too confusing" and then lambasted any user who complained on the mailing list with classic lines like "works on my machine" "it's only a simple shortcut!" (which happens to be different on EVERY de and EVERY file explorer) only to silently add it back to nautilus when the perpetual questions of "how to show hidden files on nautilus" got so great?

that simple fucking change fucked me up for months when I had to play the game of "is it alt+. like dolphin or ctrl+h or alt+h or some other non-intuitive shortcut that might do something different on programs I use" whenever I wanted to upload something with firefox

and writing this post I realise it's now back in the right click context menu for gtk file picker, which only shows they don't have a fucking clue and are wasting development time on trivial bullshit like this

>The only thing that's not making people adopt KDE and forget about GNOME is their unstability.

honestly, I jumped ship to KDE and the bugs I've experienced would make a sane person not want to use gnu/linux on the desktop and it's still far better than having to learn and accept gnomes default behaviour which seems to change arbitrarily with no intuitive way to revert the behaviour
>>
>>56394663
I use GNOME 3 and I like it
HOWEVER
You need to let me make the top bar a side bar instead.
Make this a fucking option.
Also make image thumbnails in the file picker for all images rather than only displaying the selected one on the side.
>>
>>56398424
>Anonymous 09/02/16(Fri)21:21:08 No.5
>You need to let me make the top bar a side bar instead.

how would this even work?
>>
>>56398520
have you ever used windows and unlocked the taskbar?
then tried moving it to the left or right side of the screen?
>>
This thread inspired me to search for a headerbar plugin in Xfce. Luckily I found one:

And this is exactly why your comments on FOSS and FOSS ideology are moot, OP. having every aspect of an OS open to modification allows endless customization, even if I as an end-user have zero knowledge in coding.

$ yaourt -Ss xfce title
aur/xfce4-windowck-plugin 0.4.4-1 (21) (1.67)
Xfce panel plugin which allows to put the maximized window title and buttons on the panel.
>>
>>56400046
> arch
> aur
> yaourt

Please, quit messing around kid.
>>
I use fvwm which is solely configured to load X with Emacs full screen, nothing else.

Gnome tries too hard to carbon copy a shitty tablet desktop, and so does every other GUI like cinnamon/Unity/ect
>>
>>56394663
No, your software has 0 learning curve and caters to complete retards who aren't willing how to be efficient. You and you're "dev team" are faggots that remove settings for your "brand identity" despite the fact that the linux desktop has 2% usage.
https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/

KDE is way better than your shit, it has more than 1 feature. Compare Nautilus to Dolphin, they have a similar memory footprint, but whats the differnece? Dolphin has way more features, and is actually useful.
>>
This copypasta has potential
>>
GNOME is a joke, go fuck yourself.

https://help.gnome.org/users/evince/stable/print-booklet.html.en
>>
>>56397254
>The only thing that's not making people adopt KDE and forget about GNOME is their unstability.
This is false, though.

As much as I hate many of the stupid design decisions the GNOME devs have been making, I still find it the most well designed DE choice as far as usability/comfort is concerned. It's also the only one that doesn't look like garbage.
>>
>>56394663
y do ppl think this is real
>>
>>56396032
>GTK
Gtk is developed by literally 2 fucking guys and neither of them can comprehend the codebase at this point, because it consists of layers upon layers upon layers of cruft and ad-hoc dirty hacks. The death of Gtk is inevitable and when it finally happens Gnome dies with it. Nothing of value will be lost and we'll finally have unified UI experience on Linux with far superior toolkit Qt is. Can't wait.
>>
I agree with OP
>>
>tfw OP is 100% right and it triggers you

This is the most efficient use of a header bar. GNOME is light weight compared to other modern OS's like Windows and OS X too.

Anyone who doesn't agree with thtese statement is delusional or autistic.
>>
>>56404179
forgot pic
>>
What's your excuse, /g/?
>>
I like gnome on a laptop, but I find it unusable on multiple desktops.
>>
>>56404221
Crippling depression
>>
Fix the mouse pointer glitch with flash.
>>
>>56400046
> yaourt
kill yourself
>>
File: Stallman.png (46KB, 175x200px) Image search: [Google]
Stallman.png
46KB, 175x200px
>>56404568
>
$ yaourt -Syua --no-confirm --just-fuck-my-shit-up
>>
File: 1465589449897.png (18KB, 627x113px) Image search: [Google]
1465589449897.png
18KB, 627x113px
I just tried it and it looks like a piece of shit. Seriously, why the fuck they went with a design that works good only on tablets and phones? I can't use it with my mouse at all, im getting triggered every time i look on the keyboard layout switcher and see a fucking arrow thats telling me its a list. What eth fuch? Is this supposed to be more usable than XFCE?
Also I don't like XFCE either, for a multiple reasons, but it still looks and works better that every version of gnome 3.
>>
>>56400148
how do you get emacs to look right in any WM fullscreen, especially fvwm

it always leaves extra spaces if i turn off all the bars
>>
>>56394663
>HOWEVER, if there is a reason to use Linux, it's the headerbar concept. If you're not familiar with this, its a combined titlebar and menubar that GNOME uses on most of its core apps. It saves space for the actual content of the app to use and forces devs to focus on the core important pieces of their application when designing an interface. It's been copied in so many other OSes, but I feel only Linux users get the true, primal headerbar experience.
This is bait, right?
I never know if a setting or function is in the headerbar menu or some special bubble menu.

Also, I tried to develop a GTK application once and both those menu types are horrible underdocumented. For example, there was no way for me to place regular widgets into a bubble menu.
>>
>>56394663
Why the fuck did you leave GNOME 2?
>>
>>56394663
>Why, my disabled wife wouldn't be able to use the computer to post her fanart if it wasn't for
Bait.
>>
>>56394663
tl;dr

Remove the tablet UI
>>
>>56398241

Standing ovation
>>
>>56394663
>Can't say I agree with "beats all other GUI efforts in all of computing"
VIOLENT FANTASIES FILLING MY MIND
>>
How is MATE? I should try it or change to cinnamon?
>>
>>56394663
Real human bean
>>
File: 1452883602427.png (151KB, 742x828px)
1452883602427.png
151KB, 742x828px
>>56394663
>GNOME
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.