[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I making a mistake? I'm not very good with PC hardwa

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 00s0s_1m38MHBAAlv_600x450.jpg (9KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
00s0s_1m38MHBAAlv_600x450.jpg
9KB, 337x450px
Am I making a mistake? I'm not very good with PC hardware..

I'm about to trade my MSI laptop
My laptop is https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GE72-APACHE-264-17-3-Inch-Gaming/dp/B0141H0AI4

Specs:
Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.6 GHz
12 GB DDR3L SDRAM
1 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
17.3-Inch Screen; NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM

For this
Asus Maximus Extreme VI Motherboard
Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.5GHZ
16gb of Ram
NVIDIA GTX 960
CPU is water cooled too
1tb hard drive

The water cooler is preventing the side of the case to go on though.. (see photo)

basically gonna be trading in my entry level laptop for a mid level gaming tower. I'll have the ability to upgrade graphic cards in the future. I feel like it's a good deal. What do you guys think? Only thing I'm wondering about is the water cooler. I've never dealt with that before and not sure how high maintenance or problematic they are.

I'm very much a laymen when it comes to PCs but believe that switching over to a desktop is going to save me money in the long run because its upgradable and my laptop is not. Is this a good trade?
>>
>>56385271
They'll both be monetarily worthless in a couple years, but the desktop will still be able to run current games. Right now, the laptop is probably worth more, though.
>>
>>56385298
Within reason, what do you think the desktop needs? It has a 850w power supply so I believe it has the power to handle future upgrades. I was going to buy a video card but the owner of the desktop reassured me it plays games that I asked about (Overwatch,CS:GO) well enough. Also if I'm not mistaken the desktop has a better processor than my laptop and also has 4gigs of more Ram.
>>
>>56385319
They're not very demanding games, so if you're only playing that at 1080p, and you're fine with not maxing overwatch out, there's no reason to upgrade for now.
>>
>the no video goyim Texas 1000 million pounds

Wew lad
>>
>>56385343
Thanks for the reply. I'll be spending $150 on a keyboard and monitor so it's nice to know that at this moment I won't need to spend any extra money on a graphics card. My laptop has a 960m but I hear the non-laptop version of the 960 is more powerful. My laptop plays overwatch on high/ultra fine, however it does get hot and that's another reason I'm looking to make the jump to a desktop. These are problems (heating, not being able to upgrade parts) that I wasnt really aware of when I bought my laptop and at first it didn't matter but now that I'm enjoying gaming more than I did before I do fear I should of built a desktop instead of buying a laptop. But this seems to be a fair trade
>>
>>56385271
>Is this a good trade?
If you don't need the portability of your laptop, sure.
When it comes to value right now, your laptop is probably worth more than that desktop (and you might be better off if you sell your laptop and look around for a better desktop, or at least get some money in this trade), but the desktop performs better across the board.
>>
>>56385271
My only personal problem with laptop gaming is the price and heat.

It's expensive as fuck and having your components running at near 80 degrees the whole time can't be good.
>>
>>56385378
Yes. Laptop gpus have to focus more on efficiency than performance because there's less space for an actual cooling system and they have to run on a battery.
>>
>>56385384
Thank you. We agreed to do an even trade and that's what I agreed to. I'm okay if the laptop is worth more at the moment because I'll have a desktop that will be upgradable for the future. Speaking of which, besides the graphics card is there anything that needs upgrading to make it a little more modern? Is the processor fine? 16gb of Ram is surely enough.. maybe an SSD for the OS?
>>
>>56385343
>you're fine with not maxing overwatch out
Depends if he's playing at 60Hz or wants to fully utilize a 120 or 144 Hz monitor in that game.
I know from experience that an overclocked GTX 960 4GB will run Overwatch completely maxed out with a constant 65-75 fps at 1920x1080.
>>
>>56385396
Thanks I didn't know that but it makes sense. It makes me wonder why gaming laptops are even a thing because they seem so counter productive given the heating problems which I've personally experienced on my laptop. Hitting temps of 85-90c while playing overwatch made me feel uneasy.
>>
>>56385423
I'm not sure if this is a 960 2gb or 4gb card. I have to ask the guy. We're trading Saturday. Does the extra 2gigs of VRam make that big of a difference?
>>
>>56385423
There are people in this world content with playing at 1080p30 with unadjustable minimum settings.
>>56385447
Those temps are fine if it's only the GPU, and they still push it on temperature with gaming laptops. Also, welcome to /g/. Your anti-gayman laptop shitposting tutorial is complete.
>>
>>56385465
not like it fucking matters, vram on a weak card like that doesnt make a difference unless you're using the ram for something other than gaymen.
>>
Get a 1060
>>
>>56385477
>vram on a weak card like that doesnt make a difference unless you're using the ram for something other than gaymen
Wrong, 960 is fast enough to utilize 4GB VRAM in gaymez.

>>56385465
>Does the extra 2gigs of VRam make that big of a difference?
In Overwatch, nah.
If you want to play games like DOOM, GTAV, or Rise of the Tomb Raider it will, though.

>>56385421
>Speaking of which, besides the graphics card is there anything that needs upgrading to make it a little more modern?
I'd recommend a 500GB SSD for both your OS and your games/other software. Coincidentally, this is also where you get the best price per GB.
Aside from that though, it's fine. The CPU is still more than capable, overclock it and it will be good for years to come. 16GB RAM is still more than enough.
The graphics card is a bit on the slow side, but as of writing this post it is still good enough for 1080p gaming at 60 Hz. If this is your target resolution and framerate, the 960 should hold you over for a few months, as long as you don't expect to be maxing out the most demanding titles on the market.
>>
>>56385421
You are missing the point. If you sell the laptop you could get a better pc.
>>
>>56385753
Thanks so much for your post. It made me feel more confident in my trade. I'll definitely be taking your advice and grabbing a bigger SSD and knowing the graphics card will hold me over for a little while gives me time to set aside money and save up for a bigger one. That seems to be the only upgrades I see that are needed and both are very reasonable. Thank you guys for your help.

As far as the water cooling making it impossible for me to shut the side of the case is that a big deal? Can anyone identify the type of water cooler that's being used in this PC? I'm a little nervous because I'm not sure what exactly I do because its not like a fan. Do I have to buy and refill the water cooler with cooling liquid every of months?
>>
You are essentially trading your laptop for it's desktop equivalent.

It's more or less the same CPU and GPU, but in desktop format.

You loose mobility, gain something thats not running at 32042307C while gaymening.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.