[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Debian testing or unstable with your display/window manager

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: deb_logo.png (54KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
deb_logo.png
54KB, 400x400px
Is Debian testing or unstable with your display/window manager of choice not the perfect linux distro? Despite the names, everything is relatively stable and up to date. You have apt, so pretty much every package on linux is available as a binary. There is support for almost every architecture you can think of. There is plenty of documentation because everything is based off it, and you can just use the Arch Wiki for everything you can't find specific to Debian or Ubuntu. If like minimalism, netinst is perfect. There is nothing you can't tweak on any other distro besides some source related things on Gentoo. You can run it on your desktop, server, and Raspberry Pi. Everything works with some playing around, and once you're set up there is not much maintenance. What really more is there to ask for in a distro.
>>
Bad logo. /g/ could do better
>>
I use debian stable on some old laptop because I prefer vetted and tested software. It's nice they keep the nonfree software in a separate repo.
>>
>>56384883
>What really more is there to ask for in a distro.
better package manager and user repositories
apt is shit
>>
>>56385019
Care to elaborate? Besides there being a little bit of annoyances between using dpkg vs. apt it does its job relatively well.
>>
>>56384883
If you want really minimal, disable suggests and reccommends in apt.
>>
>testing
Old packages, broken packages aren't updated until tested and fixed on unstable
>unstable
Still old-ish packages, shit gets broken all the fucking time
Debian is a SERVER AND OFFICE COMPUTER DISTRO made to use Stable on systems where it doesn't matter that you have ancient packages.
>>
>>56385122
It can't uninstall things installed with metapackages easily. it marks everything as installed by user so autoremove doesn't remove unused dependencies and removing the metapackage only removes itself and nothing it installed.
>>
>>56384883
I mean yeah, if you don't mind dealing with python breaking (which happened to me) or init installing itself as a package dependency (which also happened). Also, enjoy no gui for your package manager and only using whatever versions of packages your repos let you have.

I will enjoy (actually) stable, working, gentoo and install whatever package versions I want. (thanks to package.mask)
Also, no apt-get update every time I add a PPA. Gentoo Overlays ( PPA equivelant ) require no such thing.
>>
>>56384883
>Despite the names, everything is relatively stable and up to date.
no, fuck you, it's not stable. i've been running testing for years now, and the last dist-upgrade broke some stuff.
debian testing is not stable, and i can give you at least 5 examples from where testing broke within the last 10 years.
>>
>>56385164
true, but uninstalling everything installed by a metapackage is a trivial task. apt-cache show gives you all dependencies, just use grep and pass everything to apt-get again
>>
>>56385164
Is sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove package not sufficient?
>>
>>56385164
>It can't uninstall things installed with metapackages easily
Use aptitude and search and install for virtual packages & tasks visually

>it marks everything as installed by user so autoremove doesn't remove unused dependencies
Not a problem with aptitude

>and removing the metapackage only removes itself and nothing it installed.
Not a proplem with aptitude

Use aptitude and git gud
>>
File: uwhatm8.jpg (58KB, 560x552px) Image search: [Google]
uwhatm8.jpg
58KB, 560x552px
>>56385155
>>unstable
>Still old-ish packages, shit gets broken all the fucking time
sid user here, you are talking a load of bollocks anon.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.