[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is CS difficult to complete? Is there much maths? I'm really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1472484194962.jpg (588KB, 1493x2145px) Image search: [Google]
1472484194962.jpg
588KB, 1493x2145px
Is CS difficult to complete? Is there much maths?
I'm really horrible at maths, how did you get your degrees?
>>
>>56383295
i hated math in high school and now im a sophomore in cs and quite liking it. calc 1/2 was really cool and interesting and when you see how it can be applied to something you care about instead of just arbitrarily finding the sine of an angle "because do it" its very motivating and rewarding. if you are passionate about cs and aren't totally retarded i think you'll be okay.
>>
>>56383352
pretty much this, I didn't do shit in high school and now I've learned Trig Calc and pretty much everything and whilst I won't use some of it, some I will (and have) and in the end I've come to enjoy it (for the reasons you've mentioned, mostly)
>>
With C's in every math class above Calc 1 desu. You don't really need math. I got a job right out of a small state school at large bank/finance company.
>>
>>56383295
Currently studying CS at UC Berkeley. Fuckton of math. You CAN graduate without anything more than lower-division LinAlg, but the coolness of the subfields you can pursue goes up with the amount of math you know. I'd recommend finding a few good study buddies, suffering through math, and then laughing at the plebs who didn't from your upper-division AI class.

YMMV though, I loved math in both school and haven't stopped since.
>>
>>56383295

I am great at women's studies and will be taking cs classes and hopefully changing my major to it. I am aweful at math though got like D'S in high school but that's ok because gender equality means I don't have to actually use my brain
>>
>>56383376
math, not even once
>>
I go to UIUC so not nearly as good as UCB or the other big names but still high ranked.

If you are a monster at math everything else is easier. I am really bad at math but i like CS so im doing just fine (not amazing but def better than average)

Dont let math keep you out of engineering. You dont need to be a math guy to be a good engineer. But you do have to atleast pass the math classes. (operation D- for me)
>>
>>56383382
its funny how you clearly think you're making some great point about women in cs but in reality you're just a sperg moaning about girls in a totally unrelated thread
>>
Go CE, you'll have a more realistic view of the world around you and will be able to apply your knowledge in real life problems.
>>
>>56383466
Can you elaborate on this?

I have been debating whether or not I want to pursue a degree in CS or CE.
>>
>>56383494
Sure.

As a CS you will have a broader mathematical background that will help you in constructing models for application in computing. Sadly, these are skills you can get through reading the correct set of books.

CE will let you have a mathematical basis strong enough to understand the behaviour of real life issues and the mindset to be clever. After all, that's basically the definition of engineering, "being clever". The bad part is that nowadays you are told to comply to the standard and be squared, opposed to what engineers used to do stuff: efficiently and effectively. But you can use your career as a tool and not fall into that path so you can actually accomplish something more substantial than mantaining Java code.
>>
>>56383605

So, you are saying that CE is a broader field which will allow me to see the world in a more useful way?
>>
>>56383659
Pretty much. Keep in mind that my opinion is biased since I chose that path. But asking around the mathematics faculty in my uni and all the teachers in the computational area (whom all have Masters or PhD degrees in CS), and they all agree that if you are not that much into the investigation world, you might as well go for the CE road and later if you do get into that, get a Masters in CS.
>>
>>56383741
By investigation do you mean like cyber security?

I figured CS would be better for me becuase I have more of an interest in progrmaming, data science, and security.
>>
>>56383779
Probably investigation as in research

Do CS because it's 2016 and will be ~2020 when you're done and you're limiting yourself with a CE degree
>>
>>56383806
I'm 2nd year, but i just havent declared my major.

I could probably get out with a CS degree in 2 years.
>>
>>56383779
As >>56383806 said, I meant research. Depends on what you want to accomplish at the end. As a fun fact, MEs have better rate for success.
>>
It's easy. CS maths is basically a branch or two of calculus and a bunch of computational maths.

It's great and math heavy, but it's probably not the kind of maths you are thinking of.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.