[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do dynamic DNS's know your constantly changing dynamic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: logodynu.png (56KB, 750x250px) Image search: [Google]
logodynu.png
56KB, 750x250px
How do dynamic DNS's know your constantly changing dynamic IP address? I just set one up for my home and what will happen in a few days when my ISP changes my IP by one octet or something.

Can't seem to google this answer as everything seems to be about how dns works in general.

Anyways, DNS thread. Which DNS is /g/ using for their home network. I just signed up with pic related and seems to be pretty good.
>>
>>56382377
bump
>>
>>56382377
your router periodically calls home to the DynDNS host.
presumable if you ISP can change your IP at random times (most usually don't and will even keep the same IP for a few week unless you change your MAC address etc), your router will detect the change and phone home again as needed.

> hey remote dns registry, I'm account XXXXX, password YYYYY
> oh hey, I can see your IP address, so I'll make sure xxx.dyndns.whatever points to it
>>
>>56382590
Thanks.
How does my router know to phone home to dynu.com? (I assume you meant the DNS server that I subscribed to) I didn't instruct my router to do anything but instead instructed dynu.com to forward the XXXX.dynu.com to my current static IP, which BTW changes like every 3 days or something.
>>
>>56382695
If your router has the option to use dynu then it will automatically do it when your ip changes. If it doesn't have the option, guess what: you have to manually change it on their site when your IP changes.
>>
>>56382737
How do you instruct it to talk to dynu.com (or any dns for that matter). I'm running a linksys N router. ---- Having to constantly change my address in the dynu.com control panel would be one hell of a pain.
>>
>>56382779
nvm, DDNS tab. I see DynDNS.org and TZO.com. Am I limited to those two or is there a way to configure it to talk to dynu.com?
>>
>>56382737
Or you can just use the dyndns client on the server, has versions for Windows and Linux, I think mac also
>>
>>56382895
What if I don't have any computers running and I just want to access my 8tb hard drive connected to the router USB
>>
>>56382919
>What if I don't have any computers running and I just want to access my 8tb hard drive connected to the router USB

in that case I think you're tied to the limitations of router servers in my situation I have a tplink router and have the option to dyndns.org but neither God could configure it. I have understood that it is not very safe to connect the hard drive to the router and share.
>>
>>56382919
and also the detail that your 8tb disk is surely usb 3.0 and I doubt the router to operate in 3.0 probably going to be a usb 2.0 so your hard drive will operate at a much slower rate
>>
>>56383058
It operated fine for streaming 1080p and below, streaming music etc... Speed is not really an issue however I am away from my place sometimes for a week or more and the IP changes every few days so I have no way of knowing.

Is dd-wrt an easy install? I see on the front page BE CAREFUL as its very easy to brick your router. I already bricked like 3 wrt54g's (got them from goodwill) trying to follow the steps and I get to one specific step, hit the button and it just never turns back on again.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.