[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to shove as many many drives as I can into this bad boy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

I want to shove as many many drives as I can into this bad boy and run RAID 10. Which drives should I go with?
>>
>>56382240
Segate helium 60TB drives
>>
>>56382240
WD Blacks for mechanical drives, Intel 730s for ssds
>>
>>56382240
Hitachi drives.
3TB ones are pretty cheap compared to the 4TB onnes.

I would also buy one of those hotswap bays for the optical drive mounts so you add another 5.
You may need a raid card due to so many drives though.
>>
>>56382288
Yeah I was definitely gonna convert all but one of the optical drive bays to 3.5"

>>56382268
>WD Blacks for mechanical drives
wew lad, expensive. uptime is gonna be 100%
>>
>>56382478
you didnt specify a price point
>>
RAID is not for home use.
/thread
>>
>>56382240

Why wouldn't you just set up a NAS box or a home server?
>>
>>56382530
>I don't personally use a thing, so it must be useless
wew lad
>>
>>56382240
the most common hard drive is the best option, which is 500 gb drives. the brand doesnt matter. just buy 500 gb used drives and throw them in. it's raid 10 so buying new drives is meaningless because you have mirroring. raid 1 speed diminishes greatly after 3 drives so dont buy more than 6 or 8 drives, (2x + 2x + 2x) . as a single drive their speed can outperform a 500MBps SSD so dont bother buying an ssd as a system drive. an external raid controller will free up cpu resources.
>>
Why?
Legit, whats the purpose?
You can get 1TB SSD's for the price of those 10 drives and be set.

This is the dumbest thread on /g/, and thats saying a lot.
>>
>>56382983
data hoarding
music, movies, tv, scanned documents, etc
>>
>>56382530
>I'm too poor to afford a good raid setup
>the post

>>56382533
Because a RAID can saturate a 10GbE link easily?
>>
>>56382240
Chuck in a SATA to compact flash converter and a 256gb compact flash card for a laugh.

If you get a good rating (800x or more) they're as fast as SSD's.
>>
Why RAID 10 specifically. Probably WD reds or some other archival drive. Make sure to not order all the drives at the same/place or time, so they aren't all the same batch.
>>
>>56383418
Parity+speed

But I dunno, maybe I'll go with RAID 0. I'd hate to build a huge library only to lose it all cause the fuckin power went out
>>
>>56384180
>parity+speed
>I will go with the raid mode that doesn't have parity.
>I don't want to lose my huge library.
>Let me remind you that I will go with the raid mode that makes it actually more likely than having no raid to actually have that happen.

Please do future humans a favor and never reproduce to keep your stupid genes off the gene pool.
Please do current humans a favor and kill yourself to keep them from experiencing the pain of dealing with your stupidity.
>>
HGST
>>
>>56382240
If you're not a poorfag and want drives that will last go with WD Datacenter Gold drives
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.