[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are SSDs a meme? I'm considering converting all of my HDDs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: slant.jpg (65KB, 620x336px) Image search: [Google]
slant.jpg
65KB, 620x336px
Are SSDs a meme? I'm considering converting all of my HDDs into SSDs, and only use HDDs as back-up drives, putting them in cases and storing them elsewhere.
>>
no, but hdds are more reliable.
use cloud storage.
>>
I held out until 2015 and I do not want to go back. The computer starting up, shutting down, and transferring files faster is so noticeably superior.

Also the lack of hard drive noise in my laptop is amazing. Laptop also slightly lighter and slightly better battery life.

Use SSD as a boot drive and HDD as storage (if needed).
>>
>>56382476

Also programs install faster and updates install faster.
>>
>>56382217
They're awesome for a boot drive. I hold everything I need daily on my 120GB SSD and things that I would rather not lose(still have external backup).
Then I have Raid 0 1TBx2 for games. I don't care if they fail. They never have though.
>inb4 only 120GB SSD
This thing is crazy old, at the time 240GB was to expensive.
>>
>>56382217
I can install eroge faster on my tablet compared to my computer because the ssd I guess.
>>
I got a 850 EVO as my OS and programs drive on my machine

I would like some more space

would getting another 500gb 850 and Raid 0ing them for my OS drive be a good idea?
>>
>>56382217
You're a meme
>>
Why does this have to be a thread? 2 second google search will give you the answer. Read the fucking sticky.
>>
No, they're faster in every scenario, by a huge margin. The only downside to them right now is price per gb, which is why it's best to keep your OS and programs on your SSD and keep all of your media/games on an HDD.
>>
Worth getting a 120GB Transcend SSD for $44??
Just need it for OS, and would rather wait until nicer drives with better storage go down in price
>>
>>56383796
Good enough. For $70 you could get a 275GB MX300, but you decide. The Transcend one is fine.
>>
>>56382217

>Use SSD as a boot drive and HDD as storage (if needed).

Exact setup I got now. saves you money too.
>>
>>56382217
god no they are one of the best things to happen in a while. also the reason laptops can be super thin now instead of fat 5lb toasters
>>
>>56383623
No anon, you are the meme
>>
>>56383611
Raid 0 is a fucking meme for SSD they'll never corrupt as easily as an HDD can
>>
What about hybrids :^)))))))))))
>>
>>56383611
Check out your motherboard raid controller. Mine added 20 sec to the boot and didn't seem to help at all. Not worth the risk imo.
>>
So what the FUCK is the point in getting TLC flash? Doesn't MLC destroy it in every way other than price? And isn't TLC in fucking flash drives?
>>
>>56382217
Just use SSD for the OS. HDD for storage slaves if you think storing things locally in 2016 actually makes any sense, which it doesn't.
>>
I was using HDDs until the start of this year. It was upgrade time for my main computer, and as part of it I decided to bite the bullet and convert to SSD.

I can never go back to having a HDD boot drive. I've upgraded all 5 of my computers to having them. The difference is one of the biggest overall quality of life changes I've seen in a single hardware upgrade.
>>
>>56384857
A great portion of computer users(even in highly developed countries) are in places with internet that makes cloud storage fairly impractical. Local storage is a utility that will be near-necessary for a very long time to come.
>>
>>56382419
>no, but hdds are more reliable.
Stay retarded anon. Answer me this, why do my Seagate 600 Pros have a order of magnitude better non-recoverable read error rate than my HGST UltraStar 7K4000s?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.