[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting ready to build a new PC, and checking out what's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 38721.jpg (26KB, 500x328px) Image search: [Google]
38721.jpg
26KB, 500x328px
Getting ready to build a new PC, and checking out what's available now. By far, most of the stuff is:

>mini/micro ATX mobos and cases
>cases with like 1-2 drive bays

What's going on here? Do people not compute anymore? I get that the casual user isn't going to need 40 expansion slots, but as far as individual components, I would assume this is a market for PC enthusiasts who are going to need extra expandability, no?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Then don't buy that shit, there's plenty of ATX and EATX stuff out there

Compact builds are popular because people want compact builds, not everyone wants a giant PC with 10 hard drives and a 4 way crossfire setup

Hardware is good enough now where you can have a mini Itx board with 32gb of ram, a high end i7 and a GTX 1080 inside something the size of a hat box
With space for loads of storage too

Pic related, my Silverstone sg11b micro atx case
It has 32gb of ram, a Pentium g3260, a rx460 with space for another in crossfire, along with a tr-2 600w PSU
Not to mention, the 3x 6tb WD blacks, a 750gb 2.5" HDD, and a 120gb SSD
And there's mounting points for up to 4 more 2.5" drives
I would just need a PCI to sata card

Don't bitch about something that's not a problem
>>
people didn't want cars when there were horses and horse shit piling on the streets
>>
you start with complex new standards then downsize. if you want to stay behind, feel free. liberty is the core of the land of the free.
>>
>>56369857
>32gb of ram
why?
>>
>>56369958
Ramdisk stuff
And kinda just because
>>
>>56369729
Nvidia is killing off SLI past 2-way, so there's no reason to have more than mATX anymore unless you also want a PCI-E SSD, but that's a generally stupid choice.

If you have big and fast storage needs, it's probably a good idea to set up external storage anyway, or even a NAS and have the capability to let several devices use it. As a bonus you won't have a ton of drives clacking away near your desk.

5.25" slots don't matter much, as most storage is wireless, online or USB-based. For the few times a year you might need a DVD burner, just buy a cheap USB one and toss it in the drawer along with a card reader if you use devices with removable storage.

You'd have to come up with a pretty good reason for wanting to have a huge all-in system these days, because practically speaking you can "have it all" irrespective of format, assuming you actually take advantage of modern trends in technology.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.