[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why has DirectX always been the standard for games? OpenGL has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Directx9.png (12KB, 163x163px) Image search: [Google]
Directx9.png
12KB, 163x163px
Why has DirectX always been the standard for games?

OpenGL has existed for a while. I mean yeah, Windows has the biggest marketshare but OpenGL is crossplat.
>>
>>56366411
- early GPUs did not support OpenGL well
- directX comes with windows natively
-
>>
microsoft used to be good at making things popular regardless of technical merits
>>
>>56366411
Whats fucking year did you come out of? 2004?
>>
>>56366411
OpenGL has been around, yes. But now Vulkan has risen and we shall finally have a good API.
>>
The amount of people gained from using cross platform is minimal to the amount of people lost due to low performance
>>
>>56366411
>Glide (because 3Dfx)
>Early GPU's didn't do OpenGL well (ATI Rage)
>Microsoft decided to build an API into Windows (DirectX)
>Everybody decided to use DirectX and largely ignored everything else, especially as 3Dfx started to flounder

Which is sad, but that's about the time Loki went out of business to.
>>
>>56366411
>Windows has the biggest marketshare but OpenGL is crossplat.
You what, m8? Every other device except desktops runs OpenGL.
>>
Early games used OpenGL, Glide, or software based rendering.

Apparently the history is briefly summed up like this:
Early versions of DirectX kinda sucked and lagged behind OpenGL in functionality so no one used them then. 3dfx died which killed Glide and Microsoft started investing a lot of time and money into improving their API and they even made a game console the (Direct)xbox. Somewhere down the line Khronos went full retard and decided to do a rewrite of their API which lead to a lot of scared and confused devs fleeing OpenGL and only other API that worked well was DirectX which by this time was at or close to parity with OpenGL. Plus being compatible with the xbox was useful for game devs.
>>
File: 3Dfx_Original_Logo.jpg (30KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
3Dfx_Original_Logo.jpg
30KB, 1280x720px
>>56367489

>3Dfx
>not 3dfx

Good job, Anon, not many people use the proper name of the company as it originally was with the capital "D" there - they changed to lowercase aka 3dfx after the STB purchase which basically started their downfall.

If they had just stayed the course making chipsets and not moved into actually making full blown video cards they may have lasted a big longer.

I still have a stock certificate (1 share) from 3Dfx long ago, it's basically worthless now but even so, it's a reminder of what could have been. Hell, I even had an AGP Voodoo5 5500 up till a few months ago, worked great for a "classic gaming box" I built off a Pentium 3 500 MHz machine.

Ah, the good old days.
>>
For the record, GLide was a subset of the full OpenGL API standard because for gaming purposes only a small number of functions was necessary to implement it. 3Dfx knew this going in, decided if they made their miniGL driver to support only that subset and realized it would boost performance significantly over using the entire API.

I really miss those days, there's just nothing like playing the original GLQuake on an actual 3Dfx card with GLide in operation - DirectX never looked that good, never will.
>>
DirectX used to be much simpler to use compared to early OpenGL which was full of bloat and its specs weren't always clear or accurate.
>>
I recall DirectX 6 causing a ton of issues with games for some reason.
>>
>>56367928

See:

>>56367922

GLide only needed like 17 functions of the entire OpenGL API which had (even in those days) like 350+ so, vastly more efficient with 3Dfx's miniGL GLide driver.
>>
DirectX is an integrated API which covers sound and input, not just graphics like OpenGL. Crossplatform matters little because the only important game platforms which use OpenGL are Android and iOS, and modern PC games won't run well on phones anyway. The percentage of Linux users who want to play games is tiny, and Apple has never followed through on pushing Mac as a gaming platform. Sony has their own API for PS4 called GNM, and Microsoft obviously uses some version of DirectX for Xbox.

There's basically no reason to use OpenGL for Windows games aside from personal preference.
>>
>>56366411
>(((DirectX)))
I'm not saying it's a Hasidic conspiracy but it isn't not a Hasidic conspiracy.
>>
>>56368118
i want /pol/ to stay
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.