[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know this isn't tech help but I'm stumped. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

I know this isn't tech help but I'm stumped.

I'm getting serious fps drops when my pc is physically orientated vertically.

It works as well it has for a year when it is laid on its side but suffers drops of 100+ fps when stood up.

I thought the GPU might have been seated slightly wrong when upright due to the weight but when I push upwards on the gpu while in game (yeah I know dumb) there is no change.

Any other ideas? Maybe hard drive?
>>
>>56359267
Lol
>>
>>56359463
bump2
>>
>>56359267
Make sure it's in all the way when you put the case vertical. Other than that keep it on it's side or maybe get a riser you nematode.
>>
>>56359267
electrons and data are affected by gravity. If you setup the gpu vertically the information has to travel up the gpu against gravity, causing the fps drop. You can explain this by comparing running up a hill vs on flat ground. It takes more a lot more work.
simple physics really
>>
>>56359641
yes i am an electron professor and can confirm this
>>
>>56359613
Definitely in all the way as I've tried putting pressure on it whilst it's actually on and there's no change

>>56359641
Ah that makes sense but why was it working before and not now?
>>
>>56359726
the electrons are getting tired running up the gpu
>>
>>56359903
can I have my computer vertical but upside down for a few months to reverse the issue?
>>
>>56359267
most likely the fans are the culprit, put their weight right and nice for a while. Gravity doing it's thing, now if you change the oriention it's like they're lost. They forgot how to apply themselves correctly in the vertical position.
Trust me, you can't be laying down all the time and expect to perform as well when doing the vertical positions. You have to practice and not fooling around too much horizontally.
>>
Maybe the GPU coolers won't move the air that much in that position, the card overheats and the FPS tank.
>>
>>56359903
You mean electron stall?
>>
>>56359938
yes. but to be sure you should also buy 2 magnets. put one under your computer and one on top. both should be facing upward with their + side.
>>
>>56359938
doesn't work like that anon... Look at your face in the mirror, then look at a 90yo face somewhere.
Do you see the differences ? It's gravity, good luck reversing that shit.
>>
I've had problems with fans also, and changing their orientation after a long time.

I figured it was dust that settled, and moving them around dislodged dust and shit that might have worked its way into dangerous places. Also if any of the parts have worn down at all, changing their orientation could change the pattern of wear and render your fans out of true or otherwise less functional that they should be

have you tried literally turning the whole case over while the gpu is running to see if the change is immediate? I would think you'd hear it if a fan were the culprit
>>
>>56359267
I have that same card and was having the same fps drops, but due to temperature. Maybe it is getting better air flow and/or heat dissipation when laid on its side. With mine, I would suffer fps drops and the fans would barely be spinning, so I downloaded EVGA's (shittiest interface ever) overclocking utility and changed the fan curve. The fps issue went away entirely and my PC sounded like it was powering up a jet engine even if you're barely using any gpu power. So, I spent over $100 on a water cooler and mount from nzxt just so it would shut the fuck up. Now it runs fantastically at 30-45c no matter what I do. When I switched the coolers, I did notice a couple disconcerting things: The thickness of the thermal paste on the gpu made it seem as if there was a fair amount of space between the gpu and heat sink. You'd expect to see a rice paper thin coating of thermal paste. What I saw was construction paper thick. The screws holding the heatsink to fan were bottomed out way too early and there were four teeny tiny super weak ass springs keeping the two in contact. If you don't have the money for a all in one water cooler and gpu mount, I'd suggest at least trying to get better contact between the gpu and heatsink, which will require some new thermal paste and also changing your fan curves even though it's going to be louder.
>>
>>56360750
Fuck, I meant the screws holding the heatsink to the gpu.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.